Upcoming cruise (Day-by-Day report plan)

SailorPaulH

If all goes to plan, it's just over 3 weeks and we will be on our way to Oslo (7/20 depart from NJ) for our Bergen to Reykjavik 'Iceland's Majestic Landscapes' cruise (7/26 on Venus) bookended with extensions in Oslo/Bergen (Viking) and Reykjavik (self). Having read some of the issues encounteered by DrKoob with northern latitudes WiFi on board the ship, rather than any live reporting, I hope to do a Day-by-Day account after we return (as we did for our 2022 Viking Homelands). I think we have some interesting excursions and activities to report on.

It's over 5 years since we first booked this cruise - it was cancelled in 2021 (Covid) and we had to had to cancel our 2022 reschedule (injury) so we are keeping our fingers crossed that third time will be lucky!

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

If all goes to plan, it's just over 3 weeks and we will be on our way to Oslo (7/20 depart from NJ) for our Bergen to Reykjavik 'Iceland's Majestic Landscapes' cruise (7/26 on Venus) bookended with extensions in Oslo/Bergen (Viking) and Reykjavik (self). Having read some of the issues encounteered by DrKoob with northern latitudes WiFi on board the ship, rather than any live reporting, I hope to do a Day-by-Day account after we return (as we did for our 2022 Viking Homelands). I think we have some interesting excursions and activities to report on.

It's over 5 years since we first booked this cruise - it was cancelled in 2021 (Covid) and we had to had to cancel our 2022 reschedule (injury) so we are keeping our fingers crossed that third time will be lucky!

We’re doing the opposite cruise on the Venus in August. Looks like we’re boarding the same day you are disembarking. I’ll be following your posts, especially about the internet speed.

We looked at your sailing date but the Viking sales rep pointed out it was taking the southern Iceland route so we opted for the reverse, which does the northern coast. I wanted to start with the Oslo -Bergen train ride, with the thought that it might not be as enjoyable at the end of a long vacation. The counterpoint is no jet lag when we do board the train.

Hoping both of us good weather and fair seas.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

We are on this cruise with you, Sailor Paul!  We are also flying in early to Oslo, but doing the extension on our own and taking the train to Bergen on July 25. Staying an extra 2 nights in Reykjavik as well. Maybe we'll meet up along the way.

Got our seasickness patches yesterday, just in case! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We’re doing the opposite cruise on the Venus in August. Looks like we’re boarding the same day you are disembarking. I’ll be following your posts, especially about the internet speed.

We looked at your sailing date but the Viking sales rep pointed out it was taking the southern Iceland route so we opted for the reverse, which does the northern coast. I wanted to start with the Oslo -Bergen train ride, with the thought that it might not be as enjoyable at the end of a long vacation. The counterpoint is no jet lag when we do board the train.

Hoping both of us good weather and fair seas.

I will let you know about our experience with internet speeds.

Our route (7/26-8/7) IS the northern coast (Seydisfjordur, Akureyri, Isafjordur).

We are flying in a day early and staying at a hotel at the Oslo airport before joining the Oslo/Bergen pre-extension on 7/22 (take the Flytoget or Vy ourselves to Oslo S, then easy walk to the hotel in Oslo). Our train to Bergen is not until 7/24. 

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I wanted to start with the Oslo -Bergen train ride, with the thought that it might not be as enjoyable at the end of a long vacation.

We did it at the end of our London to Bergen. We booked our own journey (through Norway in a Nustshell). Stayed overnight in Flam to slow the pace. The train rides were magnificent (and relaxing). I would do again in a heart beat.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

while in Oslo we did a great tour of some of the Islands through Viator the vendor was Viking

( no  connection to cruise line) Biking & Hiking...tour was called Oslo nature walks Island Hopping.  Subway was easy to use.  Make sure to see the Vigeland Sculpture garden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

Our route (7/26-8/7) IS the northern coast (Seydisfjordur, Akureyri, Isafjordur).

My mistake. It is the Viking Saturn that is doing the southern route. The rep made a point of telling us this because the itinerary varied from what the website stated. It has now been corrected.

image.thumb.png.01610afd508c961037957cc24ee86c0d.png

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1