Current weather in Alaska? What to pack?

I HAVE checked the weather myself before asking here :), but still not certain.

I'm traveling next week, on Sunday June 30th.

Should I leave my shorts at home?  Long sleeve shirts everyday?

Nothing like asking people 'on the ground' for an accurate weather report.  THX

Posted (edited)

I don’t think you can accurately know the weather for next week in each Alaska port. The weather can change (rain coming a day early, etc). We have been many times and always bring a light foldable rain jacket, a foldable down jacket (the ones that squish down into a bag), mitts, a hat, and waterproof hiking or walking shoes. I’ve never worn shorts on an Alaska cruise. If weather does heat up, I wear my light pants and a t-shirt. 
The warmer clothes (hat, down jacket, etc) are usually worn walking on deck, glacier viewing on the ship, etc. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 4

I went last week and it was consistently hot. Generally 60s-70s but we were nearly at 80 in Denali and Fairbanks. My rain/cold gear went unused and my one pair of shorts did a lot of work.

As others have said, the weather is unpredictable and I would not expect it to be the same for your trip. I would pack the same as people generally recommend, but I would definitely recommend bringing a pair of shorts just in case.

• Like 1

We live in the Seattle area and generally do the 7 day round-trip cruises, so we just pack like we would for weather at home -- layer up and shed as needed.  It's not that cold, generally.  mid-50s and up, so a sweatshirt or light jacket for walking around town or out on deck.  

A jacket & hat is nice if you are going to be out on the bow while cruising the glacier.  It gets pretty cold & very windy out there.  

For women, I'd recommend a light sweater for indoors as the air conditioning can be chilly.  It's definitely not hot inside.

23 hours ago, JimmyZ-1987 said:

Should I leave my shorts at home?  Long sleeve shirts everyday?

Nothing like asking people 'on the ground' for an accurate weather report.  THX

Do NOT leave your shorts at home.  Pack a pair and if needed, fine, if not, fine too. 

I packed a bit  of everything from very warm fleece pants and hoodie to shorts and tees and everything in between .Weather can change rapidly plus raingear and warm hat, glovesboots etc .Yes i have 2 big bags ready to go .Its hard to pack light with bulky clothes

i hope i wont need anything !I do have free laundry and will use it regularly 

i did not bring my usual cruise clothes ...no need for very casual Alaska 

good luck ..I repacked dozensof time ...I.m done will do my best with whatI have ...lolB

26 minutes ago, Minoushka said:

I packed a bit  of everything from very warm fleece pants and hoodie to shorts and tees and everything in between .Weather can change rapidly plus raingear and warm hat, glovesboots etc .Yes i have 2 big bags ready to go .Its hard to pack light with bulky clothes

But in reality, one does NOT need "bulky clothes"... just layers of thin clothes.  We did Alaska in May, with just carry-ons, and had everything we needed, including several jackets and dress clothes.

• Like 3

We are bringing winter jackets for our Mendenhall Glacier dog mushing excursion in July. We’re assuming similar temperatures to springtime skiing in New England — but this is our first time so also appreciate any info. 

Living in Vegas, we find 60 degrees to be cold.  We are bound for Alaska 8-3 for a week.  So cold or hot depends on where you live. So pack accordingly.   Picture is the wife on our last Alaska cruise.

IMG_0711 - Copy.jpg