Hotel with shuttle to international terminal at Hartsfield- Jackson Atlanta Airport

We live in GA but plan to stay at a hotel the night before our very early flight in the morning. Can anyone recommend a hotel ( close to the airport) that would have shuttle service to the international terminal at the Hartsfield - Jackson airport ? Otherwise, I guess we would have to get an uber.

Thank you

4 hours ago, snorklelover said:

We live in GA but plan to stay at a hotel the night before our very early flight in the morning. Can anyone recommend a hotel ( close to the airport) that would have shuttle service to the international terminal at the Hartsfield - Jackson airport ? Otherwise, I guess we would have to get an uber.

Thank you

Renaissance Atlanta Airport Gateway Hotel is close. You can take the monorail from the hotel to the airport...takes 10 mins. Once at the airport, you may need to take the underground subway to the Int'l terminal after security or there is a bus from the main terminal.

Be sure to check with the hotel that they have a shuttle to the International terminal. Most of the hotels only have a shuttle to the domestic terminal. You then have to transfer to the airport free shuttle between domestic and international. It is not easy to find and takes about 20 minutes to get from one terminal to the other, driving on public roads around the perimeter of the airport. An Uber or taxi from your hotel to the international terminal may be extra cost but much simpler.

Even if you're flying international, you can check in at the Domestic terminal, proceed through security, and ride the Plane Train all the way out to E or F for your international flight.

Is your flight from ATL actually the international leg? There aren't many "very early" international departures from ATL.  For instance, the first international flight out of ATL today is at 7:20, on Frontier, to Punta Cana, and presumably that's not your flight. The first Delta flights are at 8:10 (Toronto) and 8:15 (Punta Cana), also not likely Regent cruise origination ports. The first long-haul international flight isn't until much later, 9:45 (Seoul). The lack of early international departures is driven by two main reasons: the home carrier is typically going to wait for connections to arrive so they can fill the plane. Very few international markets have a big enough local market to fill a large widebody on their own. And foreign flags are not likely to leave very early in the morning, because that means overnighting their plane here, which is an inefficient use of the aircraft.

If your first leg is actually a domestic one, it's likely to depart out of A, B or T, assuming you're on Delta, unless it's a rare domestic widebody, which would indeed probably go from E or F. In any event, the kiosks and check-in desks in the Domestic terminal can do everything that the ones on the International side can. If you're on another US carrier, you'll probably have to check in at the Domestic terminal; I'm almost certain that American, United and the others don't have counters in the International Terminal.

That said, there are advantages to the International Terminal. It tends to be less crowded and there's generally less walking required from curbside to security. I often drop my parents off there for those reasons, even though they're always on a domestic flight. It just makes for a slightly longer train ride to get to A or B, another 5-7 minutes. If that sounds appealing, going to the International Terminal via Uber might be a good bet.

Thank you for your very detailed response Chateaunole -du-pape. First of all, I love your name, Pope's New Castle. Our flight is at 9:00 from Atlanta to Montreal ( Delta) so yes an international flight. I know it isn't terribly early but since we need to be there three hours ahead of the flight and we are about a 40 minute drive from the airport, it is early for us. The flight was originally meant to go at 10:00 but was changed. Our TA has recommended to check into the International terminal.

Nice to hear from a fellow Georgian!

• Like 1

Thanks!  The screen name is a play on one of my favorite wines, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and my wife and I are both francophiles and francophones. But I made a subtle change, since we're both Florida State alumni and fans. (Go Noles!)

Have a great trip! Montreal is a really nice city, and hopefully you'll get to escape our heat wave!

Cheers from the Marietta Square!

14 hours ago, Chateaunole-du-pape said:

Thanks!  The screen name is a play on one of my favorite wines, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and my wife and I are both francophiles and francophones. But I made a subtle change, since we're both Florida State alumni and fans. (Go Noles!)

Have a great trip! Montreal is a really nice city, and hopefully you'll get to escape our heat wave!

Cheers from the Marietta Square!

I also would definitely consider an Uber or taxi. We were on a Splendor cruise about 18 months ago and stayed at an airport hotel due to our flight from Savannah to Atlanta being 4 hours late, thus missing our connection to Miami. It really was a pain taking hotel transportation to the airport then "trying" to find the correct path to our check-in (and not International). We like to be as stress free as possible, even if it costs a bit more. Originally from Montreal  having lived there the first 22 years of my life and still visit often to see family and friends. If you are spending any time there would suggest you try and get to Schwartz's Deli for iconic Montreal smoked meat and if looking for an excellent Italian dinner, Da Vinci. 

Edited by Gpilon
  • Like 1