Driving to Galveston

Softservekid1

I tried to talk the couple we are traveling with into going the day before departure, but they didn't want to pay the cost of a hotel. I can see their point as all the motels raise their Friday night rates to around $300. Gouging for sure.

So, From North Dallas I will be driving in the morning of the cruise. This drive through or around Houston is a crap shoot as the traffic can be a nightmare. 

My question is: I think when I "check in" on the app before we leave, I pick a boarding time?? Is it best to pick an early boarding time, say 11:00am then when we get there at say 1:00pm will we be able to board immediately?

Any advice is really appreciated, and again, I'm sorry for all my rookie questions. As y'all can tell. I'm kinda anal. I want to be prepared.🙃

Texas traffic is always unpredictable. We never stay in Galveston.  We stay in Houston since there are 100s of options and drive in that morning. Texas City is a good option too. (I'm from New Orleans) From Houston it's about 1-1/2 hours in normal traffic so an 11 am check in, I would leave the hotel around 830/9. If you drive in from Dallas, that's what a 5/6 hour drive? If you leave early morning  you will make an 11 am check in but a 1 pm check in would be safer. Just make sure to make it before 2:30/3. That's usually the cut off time for boarding. 

• Thanks 1

The road to Galveston has been under construction for the past 300 years or so. An accident can cause a delay for a week or more. Only slight exaggerations.

More than once a ship has sailed from Galveston without a brand or two of liquor because a liquor delivery truck couldn't make it in time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Softservekid1 said:

this is a great idea, I'll check with my party

hi, we've driven to Galveston from the DFW area more times than i want to remember.

we have left as early as 5 a.m. and gotten there almost 2

we have left at 7 and gotten there at 11:30

as they have said it's a crap shoot and there is almost always some sort of construction.

I finally got him to go a day early and on greg's advice we stayed in Webster at the Fairmont which he also suggested. there are plenty of eating venues there.

the drive to Galveston took 20 minutes

i have sort of a cruise diary starting in 2005.  if you have any question ask away

hugs from texas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you decide to drive down the day of the cruise the good news is that it looks like it would be on a Saturday sine you were saying Friday night hotels are expensive.  Traffic will be much lighter since it is on the weekend.  There will alway be some traffic getting through Houston but it will be much lighter on a Saturday.  Staying at a hotel in the Clear Lake or League City area will get you far enough south of Houston to avoid major traffic.  I think you could get a reasonable hotel rate in one of those areas.  I would also suggest using an app like Waze if you drive in that day because it could help direct you around traffic if there is an accident or major construction.

Edited by daveo6313
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikayla73 said:

What about staying somewhere on the other side of Houston but not Galveston? That gets you through the traffic and a shorter drive in the morning of the cruise. I know @Saint Greg has mentioned Webster before. Just another thought. 

Yes it's a 30 minute drive to the port with reasonable hotel prices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We love to stay on the seawall, BUT, there are a few events in Galveston that inflate the room cost to the Royalty level. We are 600 miles away so driving in day of cruise is a very bad option. 

The area north of Galveston on 45 usually has decent weekend rates. We try to stay around Texas City (or a few miles north) and home base there. Some events to be aware of include: Topless Texas, Dickens on the Strand, Mardi Gras, Lone Star Rally and of course the busy tourist season. You can save serious $ by staying up the road 15-30 minutes.

4 minutes ago, JoeMo said:

We love to stay on the seawall, BUT, there are a few events in Galveston that inflate the room cost to the Royalty level. We are 600 miles away so driving in day of cruise is a very bad option. 

The area north of Galveston on 45 usually has decent weekend rates. We try to stay around Texas City (or a few miles north) and home base there. Some events to be aware of include: Topless Texas, Dickens on the Strand, Mardi Gras, Lone Star Rally and of course the busy tourist season. You can save serious $ by staying up the road 15-30 minutes.

Yes, I ran into the Lone Star Rally last year. No wonder the cruise was so cheap.

8 hours ago, Softservekid1 said:

I tried to talk the couple we are traveling with into going the day before departure, but they didn't want to pay the cost of a hotel. I can see their point as all the motels raise their Friday night rates to around $300. Gouging for sure.

So, From North Dallas I will be driving in the morning of the cruise. This drive through or around Houston is a crap shoot as the traffic can be a nightmare. 

My question is: I think when I "check in" on the app before we leave, I pick a boarding time?? Is it best to pick an early boarding time, say 11:00am then when we get there at say 1:00pm will we be able to board immediately?

Any advice is really appreciated, and again, I'm sorry for all my rookie questions. As y'all can tell. I'm kinda anal. I want to be prepared.🙃

Cheaper Option:

You should be able to  find a 4 star Hotel in Houston for probably $110-150 or so even on Friday night-then its an easy Saturday morning drive to Galveston

Edited by Stallion

We live in the north Texas area as well and always drive down the night before . . . always.  For us it is less stress, especially with all the miles to Galveston - you never know what might happen.  Driving down the day before gives us options should something happen (crossing fingers it hasn't yet) and we consider the leisurely drive the start of our cruise vacation. Our first cruise we stayed in Galveston for the experience (the Grand Valdez), but now we always stay in or around Texas City with a quick 20-30 minute drive to Galveston.  We park at a cruise parking lot with a shuttle to the port.  We are not thrill-seekers enough to let unplanned traffic or an event get in the way of our cruise! 😉

Happy cruising everyone!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DPTexas said:

We live in the north Texas area as well and always drive down the night before . . . always.  For us it is less stress, especially with all the miles to Galveston - you never know what might happen.  Driving down the day before gives us options should something happen (crossing fingers it hasn't yet) and we consider the leisurely drive the start of our cruise vacation. Our first cruise we stayed in Galveston for the experience (the Grand Valdez), but now we always stay in or around Texas City with a quick 20-30 minute drive to Galveston.  We park at a cruise parking lot with a shuttle to the port.  We are not thrill-seekers enough to let unplanned traffic or an event get in the way of our cruise! 😉

Happy cruising everyone!

YEP ! we decided to stay in Texas City also.

• Like 1

There are a number of budget minded hotels on highway I45 “on” the Island , just over the causeway before 61st street . You are on the island in the morning close to terminals , and on the island the night before close to tourist destinations. I personally do not like Texas City because of all the petrochemical industry and pollution. Galveston is not affected by that issue because of  the “prevailing” winds out of southeast , which puts Galveston up wind from the refineries. That is unless there is a wind out of the north from cold fronts , which are short lived .