The Secrets of the Haven VIP Experience in 2024 and beyond

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

We priced out a Silversea (16 day) and Haven (15 day) Panama Canal later this year and the cost came out almost the same.

But we booked Haven anyway since the Silversea sailing ends up in Lima during rainy season, so Machu Picchu would not be any good.

First time on NCL so we'll see how we like it.  And I appreciate all these threads started by @Sthrngary--good, concentrated source of info about the Haven experience.

@CalTexCruiser If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.  Make sure you tag me so I know you asked a question.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

On 7/30/2024 at 5:56 AM, CDR Benson said:

(Incidentally, I cannot help but take especial note of your screen name.  For the last few weeks, I've been binge-watching the entire run of the original (the real) Hawaii 5-O on Roku.  I'm up to season eight.  I had forgotten how good a show it was, especially in the first few seasons before Leonard Freeman died.)

@CDR Benson  The screen name's roots fall back to a professional radio name I used in the late 1970s at which time the original Hawaii 5-0 was peaking in popularity.  I "borrowed" Jack Lord's character's surname for it's familiarity.   The original series was terrific but I also enjoyed the remake which ended after 10 seasons.  

You might be interested to know that in the original series, the "O" was a letter.  In the remake, it was a number.  But, I digress....🙃

Thank you for the link to your detailed and impressively penned review of the RSSC Mariner.  I found your review to contain much more positives than negatives and would seem that your experience was more adversely impacted by the dining and the daytime activities and perhaps the aging of the ship.  I found the rest of your review inspiring in the elevated attention from the staff coupled with the publicly announced 3-week dry dock refurbishing scheduled for late 2025, approximately 1 year ahead of our planned sailing.

Our first and only Haven experience thus far was somewhat underwhelimg.  14 days on the Prima to Iceland and Norway in September 2023 left us nonplussed.  Much of that feeling was the ship itself, but our Butler was a total disappointment.  On a side note, we sailed in the Retreat on Celebrity in January 2024 and found the same experience with that Butler.  What we did find of value on both ships was the food and the attention of the host/hostess, bartenders and wait staffs in the private restaurants and lounges.  Along with the "rockstar" treatment coupled with the exclusivity of the spaces, we found the overall value to be satisfactory, but perhaps not necessary on every cruise.  We also determined, we are not the types that need "butler" service.  On other recent cruises on Holland America and Virgin Voyages, without Butler service, we found the cabin steward(s) to be more than able to accomodate our needs.  The Haven concierge staff on the Prima Haven was unimpressive, but then we didn't have much need for their help as we tightly plan our cruises before departure.

We have one more Haven experience coming in September (utilizing an FCC from the original Haven cruise after a price drop).  Kudos to @Sthrngary for his 2023 coaching on how to approach NCL to increase our odds of receiving the reduced fare after final payment.  Frankly, we are looking forward to experiencing the Haven again, now being more experienced with Haven expectations coupled with the itinerary and having secured our first AFT (Haven) Suite.  

In conclusion, thank you again for the RSSC review and your thoughts over the past 18 months or so that I have been reading and following @Sthrngary's Haven threads here on CC.  I highly value your posts and opinions on these topics.

Cheers!

PS  Just a random thought.  Our Celebrity Retreat experience was on the new "Beyond" cruise ship.  The captain 6 months out of the year is Captain Kate McCue, the industry's first and only female captain.  She does a daily "Captain's Log" on Instagram and while perhaps not everyone's cup of tea as she is a bit of an "Internet Personality" and does go "overboard" (pun intended) sometimes on certain subjects, you may find some of her "behind the scenes" videos to be of interest, as I have.  Her backstory on how she reached her current position is interesting as well and should be inspiring to any young girl with a nautical desire.  Here's a link should you care to sample:   https://www.instagram.com/captainkatemccue/reel/C98mekpOxHz/

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, McGarrett5oh said:

In conclusion, thank you again for the RSSC review and your thoughts over the past 18 months or so that I have been reading and following @Sthrngary's Haven threads here on CC.  I highly value your posts and opinions on these topics.

Thank you for those very kind words.

Aye, I was underimpressed at some of RSSC's Mariner's food service.  But, to be fair---and you'll see this in the responses to my review---we did not avail ourselves of some of the food options (we didn't know about them, or missed the mention of them).  Had we done so, that would've likely improved my evaluation of the dining.

I take your point on butlers (with a caveat I'll add below).  About a month before the Mariner cruise, we were offered an upgrade to a penthouse suite on board.  Penthouse suites come with a butler.  The cost was reasonable.  But, the suite we had reserved I had chosen for its specific location and convenience.  If I upgraded, I had no control over which penthouse suite we'd receive.  Despite a penthouse suite being larger and nicer accommodations with a butler, I turned down the offer for the reason that I was satisfied with what I had already booked.  And that goes to your statement on butlers.  From our experience, there was nothing a butler would have performed for us that our room stewardess, Brigette, didn't do.  Her service surpassed by far that of room stewards we had on other ships of other lines.  That goes to the superior level of crew service on RSSC ships that I described in my review.

Unlike your previous single Haven experience, ours, in 2022 (also our one and only) hit that sweet spot of luxury and accommodation.  Aye, for many of the same reasons that you found pleasurable on your Haven cruise.  But, in our case, we were pleasantly surprised by our butler.  Like you, I could not envision a real use for a butler, but I was short-sighted.

This fellow, Mr. Erum, was a regular Mr. French.  The Good Mrs. Benson and I always watch the getting-underway from the observation lounge (in the case of the Haven, the Horizon Lounge) and that's where we were at 1600.  (We'd been in our suite only for the minute or two it took to drop off our carry-on bags.)  Mr. Erum took the time and effort to track us down there in order to introduce himself to us.  During that meeting, I gave him our butler letter, and by the time we returned to our suite, the various things we'd requested (empty the mini-fridge of chargeable items, stock it with pitchers and orange juice, certain types of snacks) were already in place.  Moreover, he had taken my service dress blue uniform which I had brought for the captain's cocktail party to be cleaned and pressed, and it was hanging in our closet.

During the course of the cruise, Mr. Erum kept us consistently stocked.  He also went the extra mile on two occasions:  when the battery of the Good Mrs. Benson's scooter unexpectedly failed, he was able to replace it, and when my cane was damaged in a battle with a set of elevator doors, he was able to get it repaired so expertly, I didn't bother to get it professionally fixed when I got home.

We obviously dodged the bullet of a disappointing butler that you reported, as well as so many other Haveners.  I'm hoping we get as lucky again on our Haven cruise this November.

The main difference between sailing with RSSC and in the Haven, as I see it, is while Haveners get the royal treatment, on RSSC, every passenger does.  The problem is, to some extent, when everyone is special, then nobody is.  For example, staying in the Haven brings the perks of priority embarkation and debarkation.  There is no such thing for RSSC passengers.  Aye, we got on and off Mariner quickly---in fact, faster than we'd ever done so before.  But that was due to, in embarkation, the fact that we were moved to a special desk because a staffer noticed my cane, and, in debarkation, the happenstance of being in a fortunate place in line.  In both evolutions, we could've easily waited much longer.

At the risk of sounding elitist, we enjoyed the preserve of the Haven.  That's why the GMB insisted on sailing again in the same suite on the same ship.  I hope that your upcoming experience in the Haven, and with your Haven butler, is as pleasurable as ours was.

We're taking a break from sailing in 2025, but I'm looking at other venues for our 2026 cruise.  Not that NCL's Haven is off the table.  (Its military discount is a heck of a hole card.)  But other possibilities, such as MSC's Yacht Club, are inviting and might prove to be a bigger bang for the buck.

And, aye, I've heard of Captain McCue, by reputation.  But I've never delved deeper into her service or background.  Thanks for the link to her log.  I'll definitely check it out.

Lastly (and this in non-cruise-related, so anyone else can skip this part, if he wishes), aye, I was aware of the difference between 1968-80's Hawaii 5-O and the remake's Hawaii 5-0.  But it beats me how I knew that.  I had no use for the new show.  I never even watched it.  If it had been a continuation (e.g., the cases of the Hawaii state police to-day, with new characters), I might've given it a shot.  But I refused to watch a remake (the same characters with different actors).  Just as George Reeves is Superman and Clayton Moore is the Lone Ranger, Jack Lord is Steve McGarrett.  I accept no substitutions.

I probably wouldn't have viewed it long, anyway.  I dislike 95% of modern television series.  Thank heavens for ROKU.

Thank you again very much for your gracious comments, sir.  I take them very kindly.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 1

So, I’m writing hoping for some insight. We are looking at an Alaska cruise (leaving from and returning to Seattle) on Encore. I’m looking at a Courtyard Penthouse with Large Balcony.  Any experiences to share? Recommendations for other rooms? 

Thanks for anything you share! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaltyPawz said:

So, I’m writing hoping for some insight. We are looking at an Alaska cruise (leaving from and returning to Seattle) on Encore. I’m looking at a Courtyard Penthouse with Large Balcony.  Any experiences to share? Recommendations for other rooms? 

@SaltyPawz Lovely Haven Suite and you will love it.  Something to consider though, The best place to see the Alaska coast lines and glaziers is from either the Haven Observation Deck or the Haven Sundeck while in the hot tub with a drink. When you are on one or the other side of the ship, you always miss something.  So, be open to all Haven Suites.  Just my two cents.  

Regardless, you will have a lovely time.

• Like 1

I recently posted a question about suite versus haven on Viva. I’ve done haven the last three times including Escape (Babe Ruth our steward was far superior than our butler. She just really cared and we ended up chatting often), Encore where it wasn’t nearly capacity and breakaway. If I were to do a suite I’d want the biggest balcony. That makes it about 20% less than the Haven room I’d want (well I’d want more but I’m on a budget, per se. we do not cruise or do large vacations every couple of years to enjoy a more special one). It’s been a while outside of haven yet having concierge service (gem). I realize if I change to a suite I won’t have private haven sundeck, restaurant pool or bars. But from what I’ve read is it worth it? I understand that is subject to personal opinion. If I can get the other perks like priority embarking, theatre seats (maybe?) etc. should I wait and try for an upgrade. Or does being in the haven really only guarantee all the perks. Being a new ship I am unsure. This would be 14 days too. 

3 hours ago, Annies88 said:

I recently posted a question about suite versus haven on Viva. I’ve done haven the last three times including Escape (Babe Ruth our steward was far superior than our butler. She just really cared and we ended up chatting often), Encore where it wasn’t nearly capacity and breakaway. If I were to do a suite I’d want the biggest balcony. That makes it about 20% less than the Haven room I’d want (well I’d want more but I’m on a budget, per se. we do not cruise or do large vacations every couple of years to enjoy a more special one). It’s been a while outside of haven yet having concierge service (gem). I realize if I change to a suite I won’t have private haven sundeck, restaurant pool or bars. But from what I’ve read is it worth it? I understand that is subject to personal opinion. If I can get the other perks like priority embarking, theatre seats (maybe?) etc. should I wait and try for an upgrade. Or does being in the haven really only guarantee all the perks. Being a new ship I am unsure. This would be 14 days too. 

There is a thread just for you!! Take a gander here - I hope it helps you in your choosing process!!

I haven't cruised in a non-Haven suite, so I will hold my tongue, except for one point. You mention upgrading. If you're talking about the bid process, please realize most, like 99.9% (ok - made up stat), but really, most bids into the Haven from not the Haven don't work. The Haven is often sold out well before the sail date. Only if a Haven person doesn't show/can't board/cancels, will a Haven room open up. This isn't going to happen often. It happens! But don't stake your trip on it. I say to always book the room you want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

There is a thread just for you!! Take a gander here - I hope it helps you in your choosing process!!

I haven't cruised in a non-Haven suite, so I will hold my tongue, except for one point. You mention upgrading. If you're talking about the bid process, please realize most, like 99.9% (ok - made up stat), but really, most bids into the Haven from not the Haven don't work. The Haven is often sold out well before the sail date. Only if a Haven person doesn't show/can't board/cancels, will a Haven room open up. This isn't going to happen often. It happens! But don't stake your trip on it. I say to always book the room you want.

Thanks! I did see that post. I don't think it has anyone that has done both on the newer ships for a true comparison yet. I have always just booked the room I wanted and when an upgrade bid was offered I declined it as I was with a group and would have been on the opposite end of the ship. I can say, in early 2022 when Covid was still keeping capacity low, a ton of bids were accepted. Different times now though..

• Like 1

Embarkation lunch/dinner

On previous Haven trips, either Margaritaville, Food Republic, or American Diner was free for Haven lunch. Since Margaritaville is no longer and AD is now free, any insight into FR? At one point, even FR was 1/2 price on embarkation dinner night for Haven. I'm guessing no longer? 

For the record we are experienced Haven cruisers (this next cruise puts us Diamond), and there was always an alternate free (normally upcharge) dining venue on embarkation, and both times we sailed Escape, Haven dinner was half off at Food Republic (FR).  (We last sailed Getaway over Thanksgiving 2023 where we ate at AD before it was complimentary for lunch on embarkation). It's just on longer cruises, since the Haven menu never changes, if we get a chance to book an alternate venue on embarkation, yeah, we jump.  Good for you if you don't. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 12:32 AM, AlexandNessa said:

Embarkation lunch/dinner

On previous Haven trips, either Margaritaville, Food Republic, or American Diner was free for Haven lunch. Since Margaritaville is no longer and AD is now free, any insight into FR? At one point, even FR was 1/2 price on embarkation dinner night for Haven. I'm guessing no longer? 

For the record we are experienced Haven cruisers (this next cruise puts us Diamond), and there was always an alternate free (normally upcharge) dining venue on embarkation, and both times we sailed Escape, Haven dinner was half off at Food Republic (FR).  (We last sailed Getaway over Thanksgiving 2023 where we ate at AD before it was complimentary for lunch on embarkation). It's just on longer cruises, since the Haven menu never changes, if we get a chance to book an alternate venue on embarkation, yeah, we jump.  Good for you if you don't. 

We’ve done the Margaritaville lunch on Escape prior so on the Breakaway in July this year, we also looked for a similar lunch option but it wasn’t available. Only the haven lunch and it got full very fast with people complaining because they couldn’t get in. Everyone went right there once it opened. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firstmickey said:

We’ve done the Margaritaville lunch on Escape prior so on the Breakaway in July this year, we also looked for a similar lunch option but it wasn’t available. Only the haven lunch and it got full very fast with people complaining because they couldn’t get in. Everyone went right there once it opened. 

We just got off of Breakaway Haven.  Their restaurant is overwhelmed the first day so we decided to just go to American Diner and since we were onboard first, we were first in line....along with the non-Haven diners😏    The hostess tried to send us back to the Haven....."You have special Haven Lunch!".

Later in the week, we enjoyed 'late lunch' a couple of times off of the Haven pool deck 'snack' menu.  I don't know if they 'snack' menu is available on the first day?

• Thanks 2

On a 15 night cruise, it seems the limited Haven menu can get quite repetitive, even after 3 dinners at Specialty Dining.

How accommodating is the Haven restaurant in preparing meals on request with at least one day advance notice?  For example, if we were to ask for Indian or Asian cuisine, would that be possible?

On 8/5/2024 at 6:55 PM, SaltyPawz said:

Also did that trip a couple years ago... enjoyed it very much.

If you are considering Courtyard Penthouse , looking at the deck plans for 17 and 18.

If pool is important, go on 17.

Rooms have only 1 bathroom , so if you need a nearby second consider 18120-26.

Convenient location. 

If not sure .. just ask @Sthrngary

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

On a 15 night cruise, it seems the limited Haven menu can get quite repetitive, even after 3 dinners at Specialty Dining.

How accommodating is the Haven restaurant in preparing meals on request with at least one day advance notice?  For example, if we were to ask for Indian or Asian cuisine, would that be possible?

I don't think I would ask for special cuisine, but remember that you are NOT limited to dinner in the haven dining room.  You can order room service or you can dine in the main dining rooms, O'Sheehan's (local), the free part of the restaurant that has egg rolls, spring rolls, fried rice, etc or the buffet.

11 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

@CalTexCruiser This question has been asked many times on the other Haven Boards.  I have both good news and bad news on the answer.  Let's start with the good news first. On cruises over 15 days, the Haven Restaurant usually have standard (what the have every night) and chef specials to create somewhat of a variety. Is it GREAT for variety, not really but better than no choices other then the standards. Unlike the Celebrity Retreat Lumine that has standards but much different menu's each night. 

On to the bad news.  Asking for special meals although some might say is occasionally possible, it NOT an expectation you should have. Minor request are often honored like a kind of steak for breakfast for Steak & Eggs.  On some occasions someone is vegan and they are accommodated to a point or someone it gluten free. I believe in being transparent and helping folks level set they have realistic expectation.  Don't think it will happen in your mind, then ask and if it does, your expectations will be exceeded.  If it doesn't and you were not expecting it anyway, it does not take away from your vacation enjoyment. 

Last thing.  I LOVE the Haven Restaurant.  Always have. That said, I also always get the upgraded "Free At Sea PLUS" program which one of the many benefits is extra specialty restaurant nights. Look at the benefits of that upgrade.  Next, the Noodle Bar which is crowded and complementary, is one of my favorite venues.  No special benefits to Haven guest but I still love it.  I try to sit at the bar and watch the chef's work.  Fun and tasty. 

54 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@CalTexCruiser This question has been asked many times on the other Haven Boards.  I have both good news and bad news on the answer.  Let's start with the good news first. On cruises over 15 days, the Haven Restaurant usually have standard (what the have every night) and chef specials to create somewhat of a variety. Is it GREAT for variety, not really but better than no choices other then the standards. Unlike the Celebrity Retreat Lumine that has standards but much different menu's each night. 

On to the bad news.  Asking for special meals although some might say is occasionally possible, it NOT an expectation you should have. Minor request are often honored like a kind of steak for breakfast for Steak & Eggs.  On some occasions someone is vegan and they are accommodated to a point or someone it gluten free. I believe in being transparent and helping folks level set they have realistic expectation.  Don't think it will happen in your mind, then ask and if it does, your expectations will be exceeded.  If it doesn't and you were not expecting it anyway, it does not take away from your vacation enjoyment. 

Last thing.  I LOVE the Haven Restaurant.  Always have. That said, I also always get the upgraded "Free At Sea PLUS" program which one of the many benefits is extra specialty restaurant nights. Look at the benefits of that upgrade.  Next, the Noodle Bar which is crowded and complementary, is one of my favorite venues.  No special benefits to Haven guest but I still love it.  I try to sit at the bar and watch the chef's work.  Fun and tasty. 

Thanks for the detailed response @Sthrngary

Good to know there may be specials on longer cruises.  The Noodle Bar sounds great but too bad not available on the Joy.

I suppose with the static menu in the Haven it makes sense not to allow special requests, as I can imagine in the second half of a longer cruise there would be a lot of special requests from people who grow tired of the same dinner options.

It's strange to me that a suite restaurant would not offer more options but I do see glowing reviews of the Haven restaurant so what they lack in choices they seem to make up in execution.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

they lack in choices they seem to make up in execution.  

That is true but not ideal.  They should have a moving menu.  My point it my post/response to you earlier was to establish expectations so you would not be disappointed.  I find, some poster make statements like, "Give the Haven Restaurant 24 hour notice and they will make you want you want." Then the guest does just that and they are turned down.  Better to under promise and over deliver in my opinion. 

After years of cruising, I have seen a trend.  Most complaints (not all but most) that I read, have to do with the guest expectations being unrealistic.  I dearly love the Haven on NCL on the bigger ships where there is a full Haven complement. That said, the Haven was designed for the cruiser that wanted an upgraded experience from the normal expectation on a mainstream brand large/mega ship.  A ship with slides, nice productions shows in the main theatre, go-carts, virtual reality and more.  I at 67 still LOVE that stuff but I also choose to cruise and eliminate those items to gain a Haven experience for the entire ship.  Both work when you are clear on your desires for your upcoming vacation. 

Now, I have sailed on the Joy in the Haven twice and once as a solo in a Club Balcony Suite.  In the Joy Haven, I took my entire family and stayed in the H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite.  The first time my adult children ever sailed in the Haven.  That was a great trip for many reasons but the suite and Haven were right up there.  The second time it was in a Courtyard Penthouse.  I personally loved it and quite frankly would never do the the Owners Suite again unless is was a very reasonable upgrade bid. 

You will LOVE the Joy.  Outstanding experience.  

• Like 1

Many thanks @Sthrngary

I'm the vacation planner of the family, and research ahead of time to avoid being disappointed due to unmet expectations.  Based on my research, in addition to the static Haven restaurant menu, I know:

1) There is no fridge in the Haven lounge where one can pick up bottles of water or cans of soda at their leisure, unlike suite lounges on some other cruise lines.  

2) No laundry included with a Haven suite.

3) No bottled water or specialty coffee with FAS.

4) No unlimited WIFI with FAS.

But on the flip side, the Haven lounge and sundeck look like nice large inviting spaces.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DwayneG said:

Does being in Haven help with transportation to and from Great Stirrup Caye?  Videos on line make it look like a nightmare.

We were in the Haven on Escape in November. For Great Stirrup Cay, the concierge gave us a time to meet in the Haven lobby. We were escorted down and got on the second tender boat. It was a very easy process. 

On the return tender back to the ship, we didn’t see any Haven perks. Boarded the ship in the same line with everyone else (which didn’t take long).  Once we got on the ship, the assistant concierge guided us to the “back elevators” to return us directly to the Haven. 

We thought both processes were fairly smooth. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

1st cruise ever was on breakaway in haven spa cabin. Was new to cruising so thought everything was great.

2nd haven cruise was bliss courtyard penthouse. Observation deck was superior to any ship that doesnt have one. but i found the commoners snacks on their deck to be better than haven deck. Butler decent but not fantastic. the cabin itself is not that big for the price you pay.  the balcony is pathetic, just what you get in a standard cabin. thankfully I knew enough that the lower deck had a bigger balcony than the 2nd floor of haven. soon thereafter they started charging more for the same product as before. nice! not! Indoor haven pool area is nice but the wading pool doesnt count as a pool on any planet. same menus every day get boring. indoor hot tubs are a plus for sure. 2 of them.

3rd haven cruise was 2BR getaway because never again would anyone get this for 2200PP so i did it. fantastic bathroom and pretty elegant cabin. butler cold and stuffy and it was just not worth trying to communicate with him. knew no roof on haven and thats one reason for the bargain price in march. Glad i got it at the price. no way is it worth todays pricing.

April this year tried yacht club on meraviglia. If you havent tried it you really cannot judge it. it's true. So if you havent, you simply must. I slummed it in a deluxe balcony because i didnt know if id like YC enough to buy a larger cabin. (the 2 story cabin is 500PP more). Turns out, the service was better than any other cruise i've been on (this includes royal suite, best on liberty of the seas, crown lofts and 1 BR aqua suites on oasis, and forward suite on regal princess). I've booked the same cruise for next month to bermuda in YC

YC vs haven generically speaking: You dont have to show your card to get any drink in YC. i didnt know how much a pain this was in haven because i didnt know any better. It's more 'freeing' to not show a card. the pool in YC was a real pool and bigger than haven. the menu in the restaurant changes every day in YC. theres a pool deck buffet for breakfast and lunch that was fantastic. it includes cooked to order things they bring to your table. I only had lunch in the restaurant day 1 because the buffet was so good. They bring ice cream around the pool deck after lunch. The butler helps clean your cabin and make sure things go well. never saw that in haven. fridge filled with your beverages daily. i think only top suites get that in haven. another butler in YC saw me have an issue and came to my rescue. didnt matter it wasnt my butler.  The haven cabins are more elegant than my balcony suite was but YC was maybe just 1 notch down.

for the price i paid i got superior service and doubt ill ever pay haven prices again. im getting YC to bermuda for 2700 where on joy a penthouse is 5375 the same month. joy def has a more luxurious and larger cabin but 2x the price? no. I did hate the closet i had in the YC cabin as hard to access and the smaller bathroom but for 1000 more could get the 2bathroom 2 level suite. Also the haven penthouse had the closet in the bathroom hall and wasnt that much easier.  I never thought id see any happier workers than on NCL but YC beat them. the servers came around the pool deck much more often and the seating was just superior but that ability to get food from that buffet while in your speedos was just over the top great!  having that outside bar was also fantastic, could get your own drinks easily. not in haven. but the servers came around so often the only thing i snagged in YC was water from the bar. speaking of water, not even included in the haven drink packs i had! imagine that, paying for booze but no bottled water included. insane. YC includes it ALL!   They have the perfect mix of what i want at the bargain price. I loved it

oh yea they also include a newspaper and as i never read them, it was fun to do so. i will admit it wasnt there every day though. forgot to mention wifi included not the pathetic 100 minutes or whatever NCL gave me. Dont forget to log off on you lose your minutes!  Also the concierges in haven were pretty decent but if i recall correctly they have hours where YC they are always there. i know on royal they def have hours and they are not good hours. So for the money ill be in YC for now. i think i can go 3 or 4 x in YC out of NYC before i get bored of the same itinerary and long for new destinations. I was ready to start flying to cruises regularly before MSC came to NY but now i dont have to. Thanks YC!

edit: when i was waiting to board after a day in bermuda, my butler saw me and pulled me to the front of the line. i was in no way looking for this treatment but it sure was nice after a day on the island. never had that on any other ship or line.

Edited by luckyinpa
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2024 at 8:53 PM, psac said:

I was also wondering why my email notifications were dormant until I saw the post in the other thread that we had a new one!  Good to see folks here!

I’m with everyone else on trying other alternatives as well. We live in NY, and flying to a cruise isn’t something we want to do, so we’re a little limited in our options. But over the next year we’re doing a crown loft suite (Sky) on Royal’s Symphony of the Seas, back in Haven on Getaway (haven’t been on that one), and YC on MSC Meraviglia. 

We’ve done a crown loft suite (Sky class) on the Oasis (sister ship), and the service is nothing like the Haven, not in the same ballpark. But the room is really really nice, huge balcony, and good location on the ship, and we can get the unlimited dining package added for still cheaper than the Haven. So we know it’s different, but we’ll still enjoy that. 

We haven’t done Yacht Club yet, so we’re excited to try!  It looks promising….?

I love my crown loft cabin on oasis but when you do YC you wont spend that extra 1100 on the CLS.  i just priced symphony CLS and its 3800 vs my 2700 in YC for a balcony, free wifi, free drinks, including in the fridge, butler, better suite deck and buffet. etc etc.

YC is more than promising. It's the best all inclusive budget suite out there.

though i did start looking at oceania since there's a cheap 4 day out of NYC next year. just to test the waters 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DwayneG said:

Does being in Haven help with transportation to and from Great Stirrup Caye?  Videos on line make it look like a nightmare.

since they miss it half the time not really an issue 🙂   we missed it christmas day one year. the captain said royal is on their island because they have a dock and we dont. made us all feel better for sure.

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

1st cruise ever was on breakaway in haven spa cabin. Was new to cruising so thought everything was great.

2nd haven cruise was bliss courtyard penthouse. Observation deck was superior to any ship that doesnt have one. but i found the commoners snacks on their deck to be better than haven deck. Butler decent but not fantastic. the cabin itself is not that big for the price you pay.  the balcony is pathetic, just what you get in a standard cabin. thankfully I knew enough that the lower deck had a bigger balcony than the 2nd floor of haven. soon thereafter they started charging more for the same product as before. nice! not! Indoor haven pool area is nice but the wading pool doesnt count as a pool on any planet. same menus every day get boring. indoor hot tubs are a plus for sure. 2 of them.

3rd haven cruise was 2BR getaway because never again would anyone get this for 2200PP so i did it. fantastic bathroom and pretty elegant cabin. butler cold and stuffy and it was just not worth trying to communicate with him. knew no roof on haven and thats one reason for the bargain price in march. Glad i got it at the price. no way is it worth todays pricing.

April this year tried yacht club on meraviglia. If you havent tried it you really cannot judge it. it's true. So if you havent, you simply must. I slummed it in a deluxe balcony because i didnt know if id like YC enough to buy a larger cabin. (the 2 story cabin is 500PP more). Turns out, the service was better than any other cruise i've been on (this includes royal suite, best on liberty of the seas, crown lofts and 1 BR aqua suites on oasis, and forward suite on regal princess). I've booked the same cruise for next month to bermuda in YC

YC vs haven generically speaking: You dont have to show your card to get any drink in YC. i didnt know how much a pain this was in haven because i didnt know any better. It's more 'freeing' to not show a card. the pool in YC was a real pool and bigger than haven. the menu in the restaurant changes every day in YC. theres a pool deck buffet for breakfast and lunch that was fantastic. it includes cooked to order things they bring to your table. I only had lunch in the restaurant day 1 because the buffet was so good. They bring ice cream around the pool deck after lunch. The butler helps clean your cabin and make sure things go well. never saw that in haven. fridge filled with your beverages daily. i think only top suites get that in haven. another butler in YC saw me have an issue and came to my rescue. didnt matter it wasnt my butler.  The haven cabins are more elegant than my balcony suite was but YC was maybe just 1 notch down.

for the price i paid i got superior service and doubt ill ever pay haven prices again. im getting YC to bermuda for 2700 where on joy a penthouse is 5375 the same month. joy def has a more luxurious and larger cabin but 2x the price? no. I did hate the closet i had in the YC cabin as hard to access and the smaller bathroom but for 1000 more could get the 2bathroom 2 level suite. Also the haven penthouse had the closet in the bathroom hall and wasnt that much easier.  I never thought id see any happier workers than on NCL but YC beat them. the servers came around the pool deck much more often and the seating was just superior but that ability to get food from that buffet while in your speedos was just over the top great!  having that outside bar was also fantastic, could get your own drinks easily. not in haven. but the servers came around so often the only thing i snagged in YC was water from the bar. speaking of water, not even included in the haven drink packs i had! imagine that, paying for booze but no bottled water included. insane. YC includes it ALL!   They have the perfect mix of what i want at the bargain price. I loved it

oh yea they also include a newspaper and as i never read them, it was fun to do so. i will admit it wasnt there every day though. forgot to mention wifi included not the pathetic 100 minutes or whatever NCL gave me. Dont forget to log off on you lose your minutes!  Also the concierges in haven were pretty decent but if i recall correctly they have hours where YC they are always there. i know on royal they def have hours and they are not good hours. So for the money ill be in YC for now. i think i can go 3 or 4 x in YC out of NYC before i get bored of the same itinerary and long for new destinations. I was ready to start flying to cruises regularly before MSC came to NY but now i dont have to. Thanks YC!

edit: when i was waiting to board after a day in bermuda, my butler saw me and pulled me to the front of the line. i was in no way looking for this treatment but it sure was nice after a day on the island. never had that on any other ship or line.

@luckyinpa Thank you for the comparison.  Before folks take issue with anything you said, I am the OP of this and two other very popular Haven OP-ED since 2019.  Your overview is both accurate and in my humble opinion fair.  Why is this good for both the Yacht Club and the NCL Haven.  It creates a very clear outline of Pros/Cons TODAY.  The Haven started the concept of a "Ship-Within-A-Ship".  It was wildly successful.  Then competitors like MSC, Royal, Celebrity came in and took what the Haven did well and kept it, and improved it.  NCL knows this and if they want to keep the NCL Haven successful for the upcoming years, they have to follow suit.  I believe they will because not doing so will lead to a mass lose of this very profitable guest. 

Funny thing, as much as I love the Haven and I really do, my next cruise is on the MSC luxury brand called Explora Journey.  When I did a full comparison including all perks given, Explora won the comparison.  Consider Explora Journey as the Yacht Club on steroids since when you leave you stateroom, everyone on the ship which is smaller, is treated the same.  After that cruise I will be going on a 10-day Mediterranean cruise on Oceania on their new ship the Vista. Again, I did the comparison and on this itinerary, Oceania won the comparison.  This will be my second Mediterranean 10 day cruise with Oceania. Just like Explora Journey, the Oceania to me is the NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club on steroids.  I love that everyone is treated basically the same. 

Now to all my fellow Haven lovers, this does not mean the Haven is bad.  It just needs to make some adjustments in their approach to keep up with their competition that they created. This entire situation reminds me of what happened when Lexus Vehicles were created.  They took over the Luxury Car and SUV market.  Mercedes Benz used to the the king of the road but then they lost market share.  Mercedes Benz came back strong to compete with Lexus.  So will the NCL Haven.  That is my hope and humble guess. 

I love we have options since we all work extremely hard for our money.  So Bravo to your well written overview/review.  Thank you for taking the time, being honest and transparent.  I respect your view. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DwayneG said:

Yes! Look for the crew holding a Haven sign. We had to ask several people til we found him. Escort you to the front of the line under cover and you get on the next tender. we just did this on the Breakaway in July and it made the Haven worth every cent. 

• Like 2