Virgin Voyages - Finally Taking The Plunge!

Liao

Well I can't beleive I did it, but I did!  I just booked a TA on Scarlet Lady for May 2025, awesome itinerary and I am so excited.  Have only sailed Celebrity in the past and for a variety of reasons I needed to venture out.  I booked a XL Sea Terrace on deck 9, was hoping for the next level up suite, but looks like those are sold out.  They told me I can use the bid up process, which I will do when it's offered, but honestly I am fine with what I have booked now.  I also bought the bar package for $300 and they added an additional $50, since I do not drink alcohol at all, only specialty coffees, I think this will be sufficient.  For you experienced VV cruisers and esp. for Celebrity converts, anything else you think I should be aware of, consider purchasing in advance etc?  This site has been super helpful in my research to make this decision, thanks to everyone who has posted esp. the awesome live threads with so much great and informative detail.  Happy sailing everyone!!

• Like 1

I'm not sure when the loyalty status match is scheduled to end....maybe Dec 2024.  In any event, if it is still available and you have loyalty status with Celebrity, sign up for it on VV.  You'll get a small perks package. 

As noted, you can bid for an upgrade close to your cruise date, but that's not anything you need to do now.  The "do now" is download the app, sign in, and reserve your terminal arrival time.  Again, can't guarantee 2025, but in the past we have been able to do this as soon as we booked, even when 18 months out.
If you didn't book thru a First Mate (VV speak for travel agent), you can do that within 30 days of making your reservation.  I use one of the top tier, award winning ones who give me a lot of service and sometimes financial perks depending on what VV is offering,  Sorry that we can't name agents here.  

Then sit back and read the boards until nearer to time to make reservations, etc.

• Like 1

Just got back from our first VV and we are prior celebrity cruisers. I can tell you that we are hooked on Virgin now. From the quality of the entertainment, the food, and just the general vibe...its great. Have a great time! 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

I'm not sure when the loyalty status match is scheduled to end....maybe Dec 2024.  In any event, if it is still available and you have loyalty status with Celebrity, sign up for it on VV.  You'll get a small perks package. 

As noted, you can bid for an upgrade close to your cruise date, but that's not anything you need to do now.  The "do now" is download the app, sign in, and reserve your terminal arrival time.  Again, can't guarantee 2025, but in the past we have been able to do this as soon as we booked, even when 18 months out.
If you didn't book thru a First Mate (VV speak for travel agent), you can do that within 30 days of making your reservation.  I use one of the top tier, award winning ones who give me a lot of service and sometimes financial perks depending on what VV is offering,  Sorry that we can't name agents here.  

Then sit back and read the boards until nearer to time to make reservations, etc.

Thanks for the advice!  Downloaded the app, and...took my pic, now 20x, and "can't download picture, try again" each time.  Followed all the rules, no hat, removed glasses, I have real beard, still no go.  Just wonky IT I suppose.  I've got plenty of time, will keep trying.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PACrew said:

Just got back from our first VV and we are prior celebrity cruisers. I can tell you that we are hooked on Virgin now. From the quality of the entertainment, the food, and just the general vibe...its great. Have a great time! 

Great to hear this and so glad you had a great cruise!

3 minutes ago, Liao said:

Thanks for the advice!  Downloaded the app, and...took my pic, now 20x, and "can't download picture, try again" each time.  Followed all the rules, no hat, removed glasses, I have real beard, still no go.  Just wonky IT I suppose.  I've got plenty of time, will keep trying.

Sometimes, it helps to close any open apps on your phone and then try again on the Virgin app. It seems that it doesn't always play well with other apps, especially when onboard the ship.

I like the mocktails that they have and I will have a couple of mochas in the morning. Here is what Virgin has to say about their non-alcohol choices: https://www.virginvoyages.com/ahoy/stories/non-alcoholic-drinks-for-sober-cruises

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Liao said:

I don't remember if I had to complete the entire registration on the app to choose a time for terminal arrival--I don't think so.  I've had HORRIBLE times downloading the passport photo and info at times.  Closing the app has helped, and more than once I have had to do it with family member's phone rather than mine.   Turning off the phone, closing all apps, and trying again has also worked.  I've  been able to upload my photo on the app and then had it rejected at the port...but they fixed that in less than 10 seconds. 

VV tech stinks until you get on board.  It improves greatly after that.

Yes, there are a wide variety of mocktails available.  You can more bar tab up to 3 days prior to cruising if you think you'll need more.  BUT, bar tab is a "use it or lose it" situation and the bonus amount is the only advantage to booking it prior to cruising.  If you spend more than your "bar tab," it will roll over to any "loot" (onboard credit" you might have and after that to a charge on your folio.  

Edited by cantgetin

3 hours ago, Liao said:

VV's technology is less than stellar, both on the app and the website.  In addition to what others have posted, turn off your VPN before you open the app.  Same goes for when you're on the ship.  The app will not work with an activated VPN.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Liao said:

You can skip to the last page of the check-in process and just select an arrival time. It will ask you for your flight details, but you can fill those in later. Don't bother with the rest until a week before you leave. If you still can't get the picture working 10 months from now, they can take a picture at the terminal. 

Edited by the_fh_mets

18 minutes ago, the_fh_mets said:

You can skip to the last page of the check-in process and just select an arrival time. It will ask you for your flight details, but you can fill those in later. Don't bother with the rest until a week before you leave. If you still can't get the picture working 10 months from now, they can take a picture at the terminal. 

Well that worked like the easy button.  Thank you very much!

Be sure to mark the 45 day prior to your cruise date, so that you are ready to make dinner reservations, or if you used a TA and you get them your list in advance of that, they can often make the reservations for you.  

• Thanks 1