Just received an offer To Cancel

I just got an offer to either move to an inside cabin from my verandah for a 50% cruise fare refund or a full refund plus 100% FCC and 250 OBC if I cancel for the 14-day Northern Isles cruise on the Rotterdam.

Seems they overbooked the cabins with a view.

It's my first cruise and I really want access to outside space in case I get seasick, so I won't bite, but it seems these offers are still happening.

• Thanks 2

Btw, does anyone know why it says "Cruise fare refunds do not include Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses."?

This would seem extremely unfair and not sure this is actually legal (at least here in Europe).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, msjb22 said:

Btw, does anyone know why it says "Cruise fare refunds do not include Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses."?

This would seem extremely unfair and not sure this is actually legal (at least here in Europe).

Very good question especially given canceled pax will not be at the ports to benefit from those fees and did not receive the cruise to benefit from those taxes & fees...

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

2 hours ago, msjb22 said:

That would apply if you went to the inside cabin from the verandah, you would get 50 % off cruise fare, but would still pay full taxes and port fees. 

• Like 6

On 7/2/2024 at 6:20 AM, terrydtx said:

We are on the Volendam in August and that cruise is also sold out and no longer shows up on the HAL website. I suspect the same offers may well go out for our cruise. I have heard of people getting bumped off an oversold cruise. We never book a guaranteed cabin as we are picky about our cabin locations and want to choose. I would think if you book a GTY and none are available and you do not have an assigned cabin you could get bumped, that happens with airlines all the time.

On the other hand, "guarantee" should mean that it is certain. It shouldn't mean that maybe you get a cabin.  That would be "standby", which is better than overbooking.  Extra-low standby pricing would be perfect for retirees who live near the port city, at least for round trips.

igraf

• Like 2

On 7/12/2024 at 10:26 PM, Iamthesea said:

I am thinking that they choose people that live close to the port because air and hotel cost are not involved for those persons.

I am also interested if there appears to be a cutoff, depending on the length of the cruise being asked to cancel.  As an example, is a 25-day cruise less likely or as likely to be approached for cancellation?

On 7/17/2024 at 12:09 PM, alwaysfrantic said:

I saw a post on FB today for the Volendam (I think) leaving Boston this Saturday a 50% refund to move to lanai or a 100% refund to move to an unobstructed OV room. 

A cruise fare refund back to the method of final payment ?  

On 7/12/2024 at 9:35 AM, Ray4Fun said:

HAL made us a good offer. Yes we are OK with the situation. It was worth the cost of admission. 

How l long was your cruise?  I am trying to get a feel for the possible limit of days  that HAL is willing to pay for.  We are scheduled for an October '24, 25-day TA cruise, which is sold out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2024 at 9:51 PM, msjb22 said:

That would be for those being refunded the base fare to move to a lesser cabin. They pay nothing for the base fare, but taxes and port fees still apply. Those only get refunded if you won’t be on the sailing at all.