Arrive Montreal on Sunday, disembark and fly home on Monday, Any problem with a 9:20 a.m. flight to Nashville on Monday?

TomTN

• TomTN changed the title to Arrive Montreal on Sunday, disembark and fly home on Monday, Any problem with a 9:20 a.m. flight to Nashville on Monday?

I think you would process through customs and immigration on your first port call in Canada.  If Montreal is that port, you would process upon arrival Sunday.  You likely would be able to disembark anytime you wish on Monday.

When the ship docks in Montreal, it will not need to clear Canadian Customs, assuming your port(s) prior are also Canadian ports.

When do you plan to leave the ship on Monday morning? For a 9:20am flight, you would need to allow time for traffic or other delays and be at the airport a minimum of 1.5 to 2 hours prior to flight time. Also, remember for your flight home, that you pre-clear US Customs\Immigration at the Montreal airport, so if it’s busy then you will need to allow extra time. If you have a Nexus card, then there is priority access/clearing process for Nexus members. 

• Like 1

You might consider debarking on Sunday and booking an airport hotel for the night. You would need to be at the airport by 7:30 at the latest to clear US customs and immigration before your flight. If you have a Regent transfer booked, they will presumably have a bus for you bright and early!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

I think you would process through customs and immigration on your first port call in Canada.  If Montreal is that port, you would process upon arrival Sunday.  You likely would be able to disembark anytime you wish on Monday.

Visit several ports in Canada including halifax, Sydney, QC.

35 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

When the ship docks in Montreal, it will not need to clear Canadian Customs, assuming your port(s) prior are also Canadian ports.

When do you plan to leave the ship on Monday morning? For a 9:20am flight, you would need to allow time for traffic or other delays and be at the airport a minimum of 1.5 to 2 hours prior to flight time. Also, remember for your flight home, that you pre-clear US Customs\Immigration at the Montreal airport, so if it’s busy then you will need to allow extra time. If you have a Nexus card, then there is priority access/clearing process for Nexus members. 

Have Nexus, Plan to disembark 6:30-7. The 9:20 flight is nonstop. Other flights go through ORD.

46 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

You might consider debarking on Sunday and booking an airport hotel for the night. You would need to be at the airport by 7:30 at the latest to clear US customs and immigration before your flight. If you have a Regent transfer booked, they will presumably have a bus for you bright and early!

I thought about a hotel.  No problem leaving the ship a day early?

No Regent transfer. I didn't book the flight through Regent. Can I still get a Regent transfer? Get it on the ship?

Edited by TomTN

We had a similar situation in Tokyo. We decided to stay the night onboard and then debark very early, as we had a 8:20 flight. We kept our luggage with us and left the ship at 5:30am. Another couple also left at the same time but then had to be allowed to get into the luggage area in the ships terminal, to search for their bags. 

• Like 1

I am Canadian and frequently use Montreal airport. You will be required to clear US customs at Montreal airport. My last time doing similar Montreal to LAX, I was 90 minutes in that line. There were only 3 US agents working. Traffic from the port to airport will also be an issue early in the morning on a Monday. I would definitely go to the airport Sunday night.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, geosand said:

I am Canadian and frequently use Montreal airport. You will be required to clear US customs at Montreal airport. My last time doing similar Montreal to LAX, I was 90 minutes in that line. There were only 3 US agents working. Traffic from the port to airport will also be an issue early in the morning on a Monday. I would definitely go to the airport Sunday night.

He has Nexus, so there should be no wait at US customs.  Is the traffic just the normal Monday morning traffic or is there still major construction on the highways to the airport?  What is the average travel time between Port and YUL?

Being originally from Montreal, and knowing what summer construction on roads is like there, one should expect a very long drive (time wise) to the airport from the pier. If us, we would do as CJANDH suggest and grab a hotel for the Sunday night at an airport hotel. 

16 hours ago, TomTN said:

I thought about a hotel.  No problem leaving the ship a day early?

No Regent transfer. I didn't book the flight through Regent. Can I still get a Regent transfer? Get it on the ship?

I'm pretty sure you can't get Regent transfer since you didn't book through them and are leaving a day early.  But we used https://charleslimousine.com/ for transport from Montreal Airport to the hotel in 2022 before our cruise.  They were really good so if you're interested, check them out. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gpilon said:

If us, we would do as CJANDH suggest and grab a hotel for the Sunday night at an airport hotel. 

Or change your flight to the next day and enjoy a day and evening in Montreal. It is a great city if you haven't visited before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TomTN said:

Have Nexus, Plan to disembark 6:30-7. The 9:20 flight is nonstop. Other flights go through ORD.

You should be fine then with Nexus. I would leave the ship at 6:30, rather than 7. Just get an Uber or pre-arrange an airport limo for pick up at that time.  Keep your luggage in your suite and just walk off with it yourself. Make sure to tell someone onboard that you are disembarking in the early am.  No need for an airport hotel, just enjoy your last night on the ship rather than at a crappy airport hotel. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 3:58 PM, TomTN said:

The ship overnights Sunday night.  When can we expect to to clear customs?

Other possible problems?

From your posts, it sounds like the Monday non-stop is a key requirement? If that is the case, I would arrange in advance with Regent to disembark on Sunday, find a quality hotel in Old Montreal and enjoy the old town for a pleasant evening.

There are a few reasons why I'd do this if it were myself:

You may still be expected to clear Canadian Customs on the Monday. While you will be in other Canadian ports prior, you may be viewed as an "in-transit" pax in those locations and still subject to formal clearance on disembarkation in Montreal. (Getting off the ship for good is different in most countries than getting off for a day ...). That would add some time, although clearance should be straightforward.

You will be leaving the ship on the normal disembarkation day. Stuff can happen that delays disembarkation for all pax. On our most recent trip, there was a problem with the luggage conveyors that delayed luggage being offloaded. It didn't matter if you had yours with you, pax were delayed regardless.

As mentioned, construction can be a significant issue in Montreal, delaying car travel, especially on the first workday of the week.

Bottom line, I would not be comfortable making an early flight on a disembarkation day. Best  wishes if you decide to try it on! 🍺🥌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomTN said:

Booked AA 12:30 p.m. flight.  YUL-ORD-BNA.  5 hours total travel time. 

I would have preferred no ORD, but----

Think a good decision. After, hopefully, a great and relaxing cruise, I think it smart to not get yourselves possibly stressed out when returning home. Relax and reminisce about your vacation/cruise. 

• Like 1