Recent Windsor Castle visit feedback sought

I've searched and read a lot on visiting Windsor Castle, and hoping for some feedback from recent or busy summertime visitors.

I'm trying to decide what time for the timed entry ticket to purchase .  Apparently in the busy time of early August, they are very strict on the entry times, and the queues are long. 

I have seen folks say there is a separate line for those who have already purchased tickets, while other recent feedback says the line is the same until you get near the front. 

Some say go early, and others say the days tours that jam up the lines are there early, but clear out after 1:00.  

We will skip the dollhouse and want to see St George's chapel but heard it may close early in the day.  We will be there on a Thursday .

Any recent or busy time visits?  I would love to hear your experience. Thanks!

Hi, we're planning on visiting in a couple of weeks so I'm following this thread for people's responses!

One thing I did notice is that the Go City London Pass (all-inclusive tourist pass) that includes Windsor specifically says "Afternoon" (after 1pm) entry ONLY.. so I'm guessing that the crowds are considerably heavier in the morning.

Ugh, just learned that the two weekdays we will be in the area and wanted to see Windsor Castle are the same two days that the castle is closed to tours.  Can anyone advise what else there is to see close by in the area? We won’t have a car so are dependent on public transportation and walking. Worth walking around the small town of Windsor? Thanks.

We were hoping to visit in September and just have no idea what to do with our luggage. We are staying in London for the night and would feel like we would have to yo yo back and forth just to drop off our luggage.

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 7:59 PM, Thunderbird19 said:

Worth walking around the small town of Windsor?

Yes, it is. Although the town centre is small, it's a nice place. Walk a little out of the centre to have a look at Eton College. There's also short boat trips along the Thames, if you are not fed up with being on water. The hop on-hop off, bus may be worth it to see the outer areas of Windsor.

https://d1wgio6yfhqlw1.cloudfront.net/UserFiles/file/windsor-hop-on-hop-off-map.pdf

Unsurprisingly, it is very touristy. I'd hate to live there but, then, I'm not Charlie Windsor. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

We were hoping to visit in September and just have no idea what to do with our luggage. We are staying in London for the night and would feel like we would have to yo yo back and forth just to drop off our luggage.

Check out International Friends.  They go on embarkment  and disembarkment days.  

Embarkment - Pick up at certain London and LHR hotels, stop at Stonehenge then dropped off at Southampton dock.

Disembarkment - Pick up at Southampton dock, stop at Salibury, Stonehenge, Windsor then dropped at the door of certain London and Heathrow hotels.

Purchase your tickets for Stonehenge and Windsor through them.  They also have others tours.

A great way to see another part of Britain on your way to London.

I have used them after my cruises from Southampton and Dover.

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

Edited by phabric
  • Like 2

Yes, thanks. I had just learned about them earlier this year and am indeed using them for what looks like a nice long Cotswolds tour ( they pick us up in Southampton on morning we arrive) and they will drop us off near Heathrow. I had picked a hotel  closer to the airport than London center because had wanted to visit Windsor and that area since we were only staying two more nights.  

Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2024 at 7:30 PM, Thunderbird19 said:

Even if Windsor Castle itself is closed for tours on Wednesday, does anyone know if the public has access to any of the grounds? Would be nice to be able to stroll along The Long Walk!

The Long Walk is open all the time, it isn't in the Castle grounds, just leading it up to it. Photo attached showing long walk with Castle in the distance. 

20221029_124629.jpg

Edited by newport dave
Added photo

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that information! Will probably go ( no car so will use public transport) to Windsor area even though the cargoes closed do looking for things to do there (and hoping it doesn’t rain!).

Edited by Thunderbird19