Hotels near Vancouver cruise terminal

On 7/13/2024 at 9:09 AM, tinks29 said:

We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront.  They brought our luggage over to Canada Place for us which made getting to the ship so easy. 

We borrowed the bell captain's luggage cart and rolled our own over.  Of course that was +25 years ago when they would let you do stuff like that.    

• Haha 1

We stayed at the Hilton Vancouver Downtown before our recent cruise and found it to be well located. Near a grocery store, liquor store, and several restaurants. Very easy cab ride to Canada Place in the morning. We also stayed one night at the Delta Hotel after our cruise. Closer to Canada Place and the old train station, about 2 blocks from the entrance to Gastown.

I agree that the Pan Pacific and Fairmont are closer, but they didn't meet our budget for this trip.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, dctravel said:

We stayed at the Hilton Vancouver Downtown before our recent cruise and found it to be well located. Near a grocery store, liquor store, and several restaurants. Very easy cab ride to Canada Place in the morning. We also stayed one night at the Delta Hotel after our cruise. Closer to Canada Place and the old train station, about 2 blocks from the entrance to Gastown.

I agree that the Pan Pacific and Fairmont are closer, but they didn't meet our budget for this trip.

What did you think about the area around Delta Hotel (a Marriott property)?  I have come across some mixed reviews.  The rooms look nice, and we like sticking with Marriott or Hilton properties when we vacation due to accumulated points from my husband’s business travel.

10 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

What did you think about the area around Delta Hotel (a Marriott property)?  I have come across some mixed reviews.  The rooms look nice, and we like sticking with Marriott or Hilton properties when we vacation due to accumulated points from my husband’s business travel.

It seemed fine to us. It was an easy walk to Gastown. Just like any city, I felt like I needed to be aware of my surroundings, but never felt unsafe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

What did you think about the area around Delta Hotel (a Marriott property)?  I have come across some mixed reviews.  

During the day, it should be fine as it's a fairly busy area.  I've dropped the missus off across the street at the Harbour Centre building (directly across the street from the Delta) in the morning for meetings there.  I'm fine taking the bus home through the area late at night after meeting up with friends for beverages. If I were staying downtown for the night, I would consider staying at the Delta if convenient for what I was down there for, but stay somewhat on guard. There's a supportive housing building about a block away around the corner on Pender Street that appears to lead to some spillover issues.  Eg. A while ago I recall a pizza place nearby that was on the news speaking out about theft among other issues.  

It is fairly close to Canada Place/cruise terminal and to Gastown as mentioned above.  As a tourist, I'd probably lean towards wanting to stay at a (Marriott) property a bit further west to be a bit closer to sights I'm more interested in (YMMV): the seawall, Stanley Park, West End, etc. (but with possible caution to the Westin Bayshore as I mentioned above.)

10 hours ago, Milhouse said:

During the day, it should be fine as it's a fairly busy area.  I've dropped the missus off across the street at the Harbour Centre building (directly across the street from the Delta) in the morning for meetings there.  I'm fine taking the bus home through the area late at night after meeting up with friends for beverages. If I were staying downtown for the night, I would consider staying at the Delta if convenient for what I was down there for, but stay somewhat on guard. There's a supportive housing building about a block away around the corner on Pender Street that appears to lead to some spillover issues.  Eg. A while ago I recall a pizza place nearby that was on the news speaking out about theft among other issues.  

It is fairly close to Canada Place/cruise terminal and to Gastown as mentioned above.  As a tourist, I'd probably lean towards wanting to stay at a (Marriott) property a bit further west to be a bit closer to sights I'm more interested in (YMMV): the seawall, Stanley Park, West End, etc. (but with possible caution to the Westin Bayshore as I mentioned above.)

Thank you for your honesty!

I realize that the easiest would be Pan Pacific or one of the nearby Fairmonts, but I don’t think we can justify that price point.

3 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

I realize that the easiest would be Pan Pacific or one of the nearby Fairmonts, but I don’t think we can justify that price point.

Yep, the hotels right along the waterfront while extremely convenient, are pretty steep. 

Since you were mentioning using Marriott points, I was thinking more like the Marriott Pinnacle.  I can't speak to how good of a stay it is but it's about two blocks in from the water and still close to Canada Place.  The area is somewhat quieter at night though in terms of activity so you need to walk a block or two to get into the thick of things.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2024 at 6:01 PM, djtx2 said:

Can anyone tell me where they stayed when taking a cruise out of Vancouver?

Check out Auberge you’ll need to call them talk to Carl very helpful one block from pan pacific and fairmont. Reviews were good and about five hundred less for two days compared to those mentioned 

good luck

On 8/19/2024 at 12:53 PM, Milhouse said:

Yep, the hotels right along the waterfront while extremely convenient, are pretty steep. 

Since you were mentioning using Marriott points, I was thinking more like the Marriott Pinnacle.  I can't speak to how good of a stay it is but it's about two blocks in from the water and still close to Canada Place.  The area is somewhat quieter at night though in terms of activity so you need to walk a block or two to get into the thick of things.  

What's your thoughts on Hilton Downtown vs Hilton Metrotown?  

On 8/19/2024 at 3:33 PM, MississippiMom said:

Thank you for your honesty!

check Auberge hotel in Vancouver 

16 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

What's your thoughts on Hilton Downtown vs Hilton Metrotown?  

If price being close to equal, I'd rather stay at the Hilton Downtown based on the convenience of being in downtown.  

My office used to be near the Hilton Downtown and I had a few out of town co-workers that stayed there when it was a previously a Westin Grand.  FWIW, they said they enjoyed the hotel and the area.  Googling to refresh my memory, it looks like it rebranded in Jan 2021.    

As I mention in another thread, it's a fairly bustling area during the day with a lot of eateries in the area.  And it can get more busy during game or event nights as it's relatively near the stadium, arena, and a few theatres.  However, it gets relatively quiet (tho not quite deserted) later in the evening (>9pm) when the stores/eateries close unless a game/event is letting out.  It's a good launching point westward on Robson Street to the deeper parts of downtown as Robson Street has a lot of retail and eateries.  As others have mentioned previously, there's an IGA grocery store down the block if you need to grab some provisions.  

Overall the area is very safe but no area in downtown is completely wartless.  Eg. The IGA seems to have a bit of a shoplifting problem.  

The Hilton Metrotown is outside the downtown core.  I've been in there in the past to attend some events but too long ago to be to provide practical detail about the inside of the property.  

If you're planning to explore downtown Vancouver, factor in about a 30 min ride on Skytrain/metro into downtown or about a $30-40 taxi/Uber ride each way.

The hotel is kind of attached to The Crystal Mall which is kind of an Asian-style mall.  I find it has the odd interesting place to eat but not very interesting retail.  Across the street is the Station Square mall which is kind of a big box strip mall in a small space and Metropolis at Metrotown mall which is fairly large traditional indoor mall.  The main thoroughfare is Kingsway which is a heavily traffic street so not the greatest for a stroll.  

While there's been a lot residential developed in the Metrotown area, I don't feel it has a lot of natural draw for a tourist other than the mall(s).  We'll occasionally go to Metropolis mainly to watch a movie, go shopping, etc. with the free parking being the compelling perk.  And we might pop over to Station Square or Crystal Mall.

5 minutes ago, Milhouse said:

If price being close to equal, I'd rather stay at the Hilton Downtown based on the convenience of being in downtown.  

Thanks for the great information.  I will check prices.  I got a pretty good price for the Metrotown for a two room suite with a sofa bed for a grandson, which does save us getting another room for him.  

6 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Thanks for the great information.  I will check prices.  I got a pretty good price for the Metrotown for a two room suite with a sofa bed for a grandson, which does save us getting another room for him.  

Well just looked and the Hilton Downtown is sold out for my dates.