Civitavecchia

OBRN1

Hello. Going out of  Civitavecchia. Any good places to stay there? What is there to do around there for a couple days? Food, cafes, hotels and shopping. We have seen Rome a few times. Thank you. 

Hotel San Giorgio

Check their website. They may still offer a free shuttle to the port as well. Enjoy your cruise.

Posted (edited)

The hotels thread under Italy has a lot of hotel suggestions. I want to stay near the steps of trevi fountain/spanish steps. I hear there are a lot of bistro type places near there easily walkable. I dont want to learn and take the train around. A bit further out by the train station I've also seen comments the area is iffy, especially at night, so I stayed away from staying right near the train station.

Hotel smeraldo is clearly favored by many on that thread. For me it was between smeraldo and another albergo santa chiara. Good area near the steps and can walk to almost all the places I wanted to see. I booked a few days so far at albergo santa chiara. The following weekend is a jubilee event weekend. So I'm waiting to see flight costs before I jump in to stay into the weekend. That hotel thread also has a link to which weekends have jubilee events. Will rome turn out to be busier for the jubilee, no one knows yet, but imo something to be aware of. Friday I should have royals sea2sea flight costs for thru may 29, but probably not further, possible thru 1 more day to the 30th. 

I figured 3 days was the least I wanted to stay possibly even a week. .. but as you say hotels arent cheap if you want to stay within walking distance of the best things. The vatican isnt walkable from where I'm staying, its list B, I'll do first what I can walk to. Vatican requires advance planning, buy a ticket on a certain day, then another date a skip ahead in the line to another line. I'd say prepare yourself it will be crowded. I'll get tickets for the pantheon first, the others later. 

• Pantheon2 min walk
  • Piazza Navona5 min walk
  • Trevi Fountain9 min walk
  • Rome (FCO-Fiumicino - Leonardo da Vinci Intl.)35 min drive
Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a great Airbnb experience in 2018 (in Rome) and booked another for a few days this fall pre-cruise. There are thousands, and can be cheaper than hotels, and depending on how long you are staying, washers (and some with dryers), which can be a big bonus.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OBRN1 said:

What is there to do around there for a couple days? ... We have seen Rome a few times.

Civita di Bagnorregio, Viterbo, Orvieto, Laggo Bracciano, Assisi, Tarquinia

Rent a car and DIY, or for an example

https://www.discoveryguidedtours.com/tour/civita-bagnoregio-and-orvieto/

https://www.discoveryguidedtours.com/tour/lake-bracciano-shore-excursion/

Google.... there are a ton of options from Civitavecchia and many tour companies/privates

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While we have never been to Civitavecchia, we have booked the Hotel Traghetto for the night prior to our TA in October of 25.  We mostly based the decision on the location and the fact that we can cancel.  Some hotels do not have that option. (or if they do you cannot book out as far in advance)

9 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

Hotel San Giorgio

Check their website. They may still offer a free shuttle to the port as well. Enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, paross4 said:

While we have never been to Civitavecchia, we have booked the Hotel Traghetto for the night prior to our TA in October of 25.  We mostly based the decision on the location and the fact that we can cancel.  Some hotels do not have that option. (or if they do you cannot book out as far in advance)

That's exactly why I didnt really look at hotel Giorgio. Looked at it now and its priced low non refundable, says I can add $22 a night to make it refundable. Brings it up to about the same as the others i was considering. Hard choice. Lots of good hotels.

I just considered the ones listed as refundable, didnt dig that much beyond that before I booked a few days at a hotel. I'm considering adding more days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

That's exactly why I didnt really look at hotel Giorgio. Looked at it now and its priced low non refundable, says I can add $22 a night to make it refundable. Brings it up to about the same as the others i was considering. Hard choice. Lots of good hotels.

I just considered the ones listed as refundable, didnt dig that much beyond that before I booked a few days at a hotel. I'm considering adding more days.

@firefly333 It's good to have choices. We liked Hotel Giorgio, no complaints. The location was great for us, right across the street from the Mediterranean. Enjoy your cruise. 

After a good bit of internet research I chose to book our overnight stay at La Casa Sul Mare.  I will not get into the details of this B&B here but simply direct you to their Tripadvisor page.  It gets superlative reviews and everything described there is true and then some.  It is a wonderful property, if a bit challenging to find, and the hosts (Loris/Amber/Rita) couldn’t be nicer or more accommodating.  We were one of four groups at this five room property and each of the others were also taking cruises the next day.  In fact, I’d bet a couple of the May reviews were from those people.

We had two fantastic meals.  The first was lunch at Crudo which is in an area of restaurants that overlook the sea.  I believe the seafood pasta dish I had was the best meal of the entire two weeks in Italy, Yacht Club included.  Quantity and quality of seafood in all our dishes were phenomenal and the prices were great.  Our evening meal was a fantastic pizza at Pizzeria Del Ghetto, which is a block and a half from La Casa.  Be forewarned it is an extremely limited menu of just four types of pizza (somewhat reminiscent of the old SNL cheeseburger, cheeseburger skit) along with what was a far less English proficient/accommodating staff than any other place we were at over the two-week trip.  Again, you can consult Tripadvisor for specifics.

We also found plenty of sights to explore in our day there. Across from the fort is an information kiosk where you can get a sightseeing map.

After a great night’s sleep we awoke to a fantastic continental breakfast spread and communal table.  This is where we met the other cruisers/guests.  The food and convivial atmosphere were a great way to start the day.  Unfortunately, the pictures on the Tripadvisor page do not do the breakfast setup justice.  They should update them.  As we were preparing to leave, Loris made sure to look up the pier assignment for Divina, show us the exact location of the free port shuttle pickup point as well as carry our bags down to the street level

Overall we greatly enjoyed our stay in Civitavecchia and if we were to ever cruise from there again I would stay there and the first thing I would do would be to book La Casa Sul Mare.

he free port shuttle.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RavenCruiser said:

After a good bit of internet research I chose to book our overnight stay at La Casa Sul Mare.  I will not get into the details of this B&B here but simply direct you to their Tripadvisor page.  It gets superlative reviews and everything described there is true and then some.  It is a wonderful property, if a bit challenging to find, and the hosts (Loris/Amber/Rita) couldn’t be nicer or more accommodating.  We were one of four groups at this five room property and each of the others were also taking cruises the next day.  In fact, I’d bet a couple of the May reviews were from those people.

We had two fantastic meals.  The first was lunch at Crudo which is in an area of restaurants that overlook the sea.  I believe the seafood pasta dish I had was the best meal of the entire two weeks in Italy, Yacht Club included.  Quantity and quality of seafood in all our dishes were phenomenal and the prices were great.  Our evening meal was a fantastic pizza at Pizzeria Del Ghetto, which is a block and a half from La Casa.  Be forewarned it is an extremely limited menu of just four types of pizza (somewhat reminiscent of the old SNL cheeseburger, cheeseburger skit) along with what was a far less English proficient/accommodating staff than any other place we were at over the two-week trip.  Again, you can consult Tripadvisor for specifics.

We also found plenty of sights to explore in our day there. Across from the fort is an information kiosk where you can get a sightseeing map.

After a great night’s sleep we awoke to a fantastic continental breakfast spread and communal table.  This is where we met the other cruisers/guests.  The food and convivial atmosphere were a great way to start the day.  Unfortunately, the pictures on the Tripadvisor page do not do the breakfast setup justice.  They should update them.  As we were preparing to leave, Loris made sure to look up the pier assignment for Divina, show us the exact location of the free port shuttle pickup point as well as carry our bags down to the street level

Overall we greatly enjoyed our stay in Civitavecchia and if we were to ever cruise from there again I would stay there and the first thing I would do would be to book La Casa Sul Mare.

he free port shuttle.

Thanks for sharing! I’m looking at places to stay for a night before our cruise in 2025 and this B&B is on our list of possibilities. It costs a bit more to stay there so I’m comparing other places with good reviews. I’m a believer in reviews and would love to hear what made La Casa Sul Mare extra special for you. Appreciate your helpful review.

Here's some additional detail I provided on the Civitavecchia Port thread:

While there are more affordable options, I don't regret my choice at all and I'm betting you won't either.  Both restaurants we dined at were based on recommendations from Loris and Amber.  When I asked for recommendations, they not only provided names and descriptions but had a stack of business cards for us so we would remember. Another nice touch was they provided power adapters if needed.  Finally, they have a large refrigerator in the communal breakfast area. This has a variety of snacks and beverages, including beer and wine, for purchase on the honor system.  You could also use this to store items of your own.

The room picture in the link provided by mapleleaves is from the Procida room, as described on the La Casa website.  We were in Ventotene as we were a party of three.  This is also side facing but still has an excellent sea view from the beautiful terrace.  The remaining three rooms are all direct sea front as shown in the pictures for the Montecristo room.

We loved the location.  It was about a ten minute walk from the train station and we were dragging luggage.  It is then a five minute walk to the free cruise shuttle pickup point.  Everything else is within easy walking distance.  If luggage is a problem you can contact Loris with your train number/arrival time and he will gladly meet you at the station to assist.

Enjoy your stay.  Although we were only there one day we have very fond memories of that brief time there.  And if you're really lucky Rita, the co-owner and Loris' mother, will have prepared one of her fabulous pistachio pies.

Besides everything else I've written, I would direct you to the glowing reviews by so many others on Tripadvisor.  Throughout my life, I've always preferred to do business with people I like even if it costs me more and I loved the people at La Casa.  They instantly make you feel like family and there's nothing they won't do to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable.

There were also nice small touches, such as the beautiful flowers on the room terraces.  There are loungers there and a small bistro table set so you could bring something back and dine there if you so chose.  And the place was spotless.  

• Like 1