Icy Straight Point

GORDONCHICK

Port buildings are very close to the pier that Royal uses (two piers, a skylift runs between them if you are at the far pier).  Decent shopping in the old cannery building.  You might want to start both in this forum and here: https://icystraitpoint.com/

For things like whale watching, the cruise ship boats can hold over 100 guests.  Independents are 6-23 guests, usually for less than cruise ship charges.

Our last two trips had pouring rain.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Port buildings are very close to the pier that Royal uses (two piers, a skylift runs between them if you are at the far pier).  Decent shopping in the old cannery building.  You might want to start both in this forum and here: https://icystraitpoint.com/

For things like whale watching, the cruise ship boats can hold over 100 guests.  Independents are 6-23 guests, usually for less than cruise ship charges.

Our last two trips had pouring rain.

Good to know about the cannery building.  ISP is our first stop.  I did look at that sight but it tells you to book through your ship.  I like the independent tours much better for multiple reasons.

I did 2 tours in Hoonah (village next door) last year - independent, small number:

Whale watching: https://www.g-wind.com

Wildlife (bear): http://geestahuntours.com

Greg from the Gee Sta Hun Tours picked me up at the whale watching boat dock when my whale watching trip was over.

Both worthy excursions.

Edited by Coral

We just got back a few weeks ago and I can not recomend Glacier Wind whale watching enough. Smaller boats so a more personalized experience. They pick you up behind the cannery for a short trip to the Hoonah docks. We saw both Orca's and Humpback Whales in abundance. We also saw a Moma bear with 3 cubs on the beach, sea lions, otters and bald eagles. The was by far the best excursion we did on our trip. You need to book as early as you can with them because they stay booked up. I had to get on a waiting list and got real lucky that someone ship itenerary got changed and the y had to cancel opening a spot up. 

• Like 3

Unlike Juneau whales, the humpback whales in ISP are much closer to the ship and much more active. In fact, I saw a whale surface within 100 yards of my docked cruise ship while eating lunch.  I prefer ship-sponsored excursions because they earn loyalty points and use boats with more amenities (bathrooms).

image.jpeg.9ae2eca9a9413f1300ae9374c4d11e65.jpeg

image.jpeg.16f65732aa25066ad5ad103540c81a85.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

Unlike Juneau whales, the humpback whales in ISP are much closer to the ship and much more active. In fact, I saw a whale surface within 100 yards of my docked cruise ship while eating lunch.  I prefer ship-sponsored excursions because they earn loyalty points and use boats with more amenities (bathrooms).

image.jpeg.9ae2eca9a9413f1300ae9374c4d11e65.jpeg

image.jpeg.16f65732aa25066ad5ad103540c81a85.jpeg

The smaller boats that we've been on have bathrooms and snacks and drinks have been included.  It was like being on a friend's boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GORDONCHICK said:

The smaller boats that we've been on have bathrooms and snacks and drinks have been included.  It was like being on a friend's boat.

I agree. Every whale watching boat I have been on has had a restroom and also snacks. I have only done independent excursions in Alaska. I think in Mexico, I went through the ship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

All the independent whale watching excursions I have gone on have restrooms.

7 hours ago, Stevepcb64 said:

We just got back a few weeks ago and I can not recomend Glacier Wind whale watching enough. Smaller boats so a more personalized experience. They pick you up behind the cannery for a short trip to the Hoonah docks. 

I agree - Glacier Wind is great. Also like the size of their boats! Really nice family.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kajasmin said:

Hoonah Travel also has bathrooms. 

I honestly think they all do. I have gone with several companies in Juneau and they all have bathrooms also. Sort of an odd comment from @Crew News.

Edited by Coral