NCL Dawn- What is going on??

Aquarius_traveler129

Hi all, 

My family and I are cruising on the Dawn embarking on 07/15. I have kept an eye on the itineraries and the past few cruises and at this point I feel like our entire cruise could be swapped around. I am actually probably one of the most flexible people in regards to this, I am just excited to be on a cruise but now I am a bit concerned with the ship. The current sailing had cancellations, the one on the 07/06 and 07/26 lost Norway and Sweden and the Dawn is camping out overnight in Copenhagen and ending their sailing portion of the cruise early.

This seems to be happening quite frequently on the Dawn and my point of this post is speculation- why? She is camping out for overnights a lot with these changes, we also lost a few ports a few times with the changes that keep happening. I also believe at this point there will be more because our sailing was ripped off of NCL's website. Do we think she is having propulsion issues and cannot get to all of these ports on time? Why end a cruise early unless something needs to be fixed? Or is this the famous "bait and switch" everyone says that keeps happening with the Dawn. I know she just went into dry dock, but is something else going on? What do you think? 

26 minutes ago, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

Hi all, 

My family and I are cruising on the Dawn embarking on 07/15. I have kept an eye on the itineraries and the past few cruises and at this point I feel like our entire cruise could be swapped around. I am actually probably one of the most flexible people in regards to this, I am just excited to be on a cruise but now I am a bit concerned with the ship. The current sailing had cancellations, the one on the 07/06 and 07/26 lost Norway and Sweden and the Dawn is camping out overnight in Copenhagen and ending their sailing portion of the cruise early.

This seems to be happening quite frequently on the Dawn and my point of this post is speculation- why? She is camping out for overnights a lot with these changes, we also lost a few ports a few times with the changes that keep happening. I also believe at this point there will be more because our sailing was ripped off of NCL's website. Do we think she is having propulsion issues and cannot get to all of these ports on time? Why end a cruise early unless something needs to be fixed? Or is this the famous "bait and switch" everyone says that keeps happening with the Dawn. I know she just went into dry dock, but is something else going on? What do you think? 

Was reading your comments with great interest since I am scheduled to be on the Dawn next August. However, could you please give us some more info? You say the current sailing had cancellations. Which ports were cancelled? Also, you speak about changes for the two upcoming itineraries. Could you please be more precise? And finally, what are your sources? You seem to have some insider info or you are much better than me at online detective work! 😅 Thanks in advance!

28 minutes ago, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

Hi all, 

Most probably too many cruise ships wanting to dock at the same port at the same time.  Many many cruise ports around the world are cutting back the number of cruise ships that can dock at one time and cutting back on the number of cruise ship passengers allowed off at each port.  Right now it is a logistical nightmare in many cruise ports.

2 minutes ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Was reading your comments with great interest since I am scheduled to be on the Dawn next August. However, could you please give us some more info? You say the current sailing had cancellations. Which ports were cancelled? Also, you speak about changes for the two upcoming itineraries. Could you please be more precise? And finally, what are your sources? You seem to have some insider info or you are much better than me at online detective work! 😅 Thanks in advance!

Of course! 

07/06 Cruise had Germany, Norway and Sweden Cancelled, its on the NCL Dawn info page on FB official information from NCL. Germany was replaced with another Germany port. This sailing had been removed from the website. Their cruise is now porting 2 days in Copenhagen to end their cruise, which is their debarkation port. This is also removed from the website.

07/15 My cruise is off of NCL's website, originally had a overnight in Hamburg, that was cut and now we go to Warner Munde not an overnight. We were supposed to port in Amsterdam and now port in Ijmuiden. (minor changes) we lost the port of Kristiansand to a sea day. And now as of last night my cruise is not on NCL's website. 

08/26 This one I know the least about, I had just seen a comment stating Oslo was cancelled and they also had a overnight in Copenhagen added. 

Does this answer all your questions? I can try and add screenshots but I don't want to break the rules!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Most probably too many cruise ships wanting to dock at the same port at the same time.  Many many cruise ports around the world are cutting back the number of cruise ships that can dock at one time and cutting back on the number of cruise ship passengers allowed off at each port.  Right now it is a logistical nightmare in many cruise ports.

Interesting, I know there's a lot of issues/crowding in Europe right now as well with civil unrest and the Olympics. It's crazy to me how insane it's going to be! I just want to make sure the ship is okay. It's kind of crazy for the people who leave today for the 6th cruise were just notified of these changes so last minute!

4 minutes ago, Aquarius_traveler129 said:

Of course! 

07/06 Cruise had Germany, Norway and Sweden Cancelled, its on the NCL Dawn info page on FB official information from NCL. Germany was replaced with another Germany port. This sailing had been removed from the website. Their cruise is now porting 2 days in Copenhagen to end their cruise, which is their debarkation port. This is also removed from the website.

07/15 My cruise is off of NCL's website, originally had a overnight in Hamburg, that was cut and now we go to Warner Munde not an overnight. We were supposed to port in Amsterdam and now port in Ijmuiden. (minor changes) we lost the port of Kristiansand to a sea day. And now as of last night my cruise is not on NCL's website. 

08/26 This one I know the least about, I had just seen a comment stating Oslo was cancelled and they also had a overnight in Copenhagen added. 

Does this answer all your questions? I can try and add screenshots but I don't want to break the rules!

Thanks a lot for the extra info. Very helpful indeed. 👍

As mentioned in other posts, this is a very annoying recent trend with NCL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

No,that is for sure not a reason.

Yes, several ports/cities are cutting back number of cruise ships/passengers but northern europe doesn`t have any of such ports. Norway is thinking of it but also only for a very few ports and times per year.

• Like 3

Norway is actually looking at removing ships with certain propulsion systems for more environmentally friendly options and the Dawn for its age would not fit that. There are tons of reason a port can cancel even when weather doesn't immediately look like the culprit. Currents, water levels, other docking priorities there are many reasons. Everyone jumps to money but there are more than just that.