Club Orange w/ Inside Cabin

BalancingWanderlust

Hello! I am going on Nieuw Statendam this November for a Caribbean cruise. My itinerary has two tender ports so I am considering getting Club Orange. I will be travelling solo and staying in an inside cabin. Just curious what other travelers have experienced regarding room upgrades with Club Orange when staying in an inside cabin? Thanks 🙂

Club Orange can move from the least expensive inside cabin to the most expensive inside cabin.  CO does not move you up to a higher category such as ocean view. The main reason I book CO is for the cabin upgrade although I  like the private CO dining room on the Pinnacle ships.  I would not pay for CO simply for priority tendering.  Have you checked to see if CO is still available?  It sells out quickly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Are you saying you are considering Club Orange because the cruise has two tender ports?  What is the thinking there? I fail to see the connection between tender ports and the decision to get Club Orange? 

CO gets you priority access to the tenders.  Can save you a lot of time getting on and off of the ship.

• Like 2

My daughter and I recently cruised on Nieuw Statendam in separate inside cabins with Club Orange. I am hard of hearing so the CO dining room works really well for me and I have always found the staff there to be excellent!  We had a number of tender ports and the priority benefit was very much appreciated. 

The biggest benefit in choosing our rooms was that we could select rooms close together near the elevators. The inside rooms on the NS are very similar aside from the accessibility cabins which are larger (we didn’t need) so I would suggest the benefit to you in choosing would be location. Lower or higher floor? Midship, aft or forward, depending on preference, or close to an elevator. 

I check availability by making a mock booking on the website to have a couple of cabin choices available to request when I call in. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

My daughter and I recently cruised on Nieuw Statendam in separate inside cabins with Club Orange. I am hard of hearing so the CO dining room works really well for me and I have always found the staff there to be excellent!  We had a number of tender ports and the priority benefit was very much appreciated. 

The biggest benefit in choosing our rooms was that we could select rooms close together near the elevators. The inside rooms on the NS are very similar aside from the accessibility cabins which are larger (we didn’t need) so I would suggest the benefit to you in choosing would be location. Lower or higher floor? Midship, aft or forward, depending on preference, or close to an elevator. 

I check availability by making a mock booking on the website to have a couple of cabin choices available to request when I call in. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you! Yes I don't really see a massive difference in an "upgraded" interior vs a standard interior. Definitely considering CO for the priority boarding and tendering. The quieter dinning room does appeal too so thank you for sharing you found it to be a quieter space 🙂 And yes will definitely enjoy my cruise! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BalancingWanderlust said:

Hello! I am going on Nieuw Statendam this November for a Caribbean cruise. My itinerary has two tender ports so I am considering getting Club Orange. I will be travelling solo and staying in an inside cabin. Just curious what other travelers have experienced regarding room upgrades with Club Orange when staying in an inside cabin? Thanks 🙂

Others here have complained that so-called priority access to the tenders in overrated. The problem is that when you take all the CO pax, plus the NS pax, and the 4- and 5-star Mariners into account, easily half the ship gets priority access. Ship happens.

If it were me in an inside cabin, I'd opt for a cabana in the Retreat. Compared to Half Moon Cay and many/most Caribbean ports of call, I'd be happier staying onboard and basking in my cabana.

18 minutes ago, Petronillus said:

Others here have complained that so-called priority access to the tenders in overrated. The problem is that when you take all the CO pax, plus the NS pax, and the 4- and 5-star Mariners into account, easily half the ship gets priority access. Ship happens.

If it were me in an inside cabin, I'd opt for a cabana in the Retreat. Compared to Half Moon Cay and many/most Caribbean ports of call, I'd be happier staying onboard and basking in my cabana.

IF one is not planning on getting off the ship, that makes perfect sense.

But if a port is a place that often gets first-timers, without status, not in suites,  I would think that most first-timers want to get off and see some of the port, so it could be good to get a jump on those by having CO (or priority from something else). 

I don't know the exact statistics on what Caribbean ports/cruises are more or less likely to have first-timers on board than elsewhere , but my view is that priority tender access on a cruise with tender ports can be very helpful (even if a ship has many 4 and 5 stars, CO pax (limited), and NS pax (there are only 46 suites or so, so average max under 100 people)I think many of the veterans don't get off in some ports (especially in tender ports that aren't unique and are just fun-in-the-sun-like-everywhere-else places). 

As suite guests (pretty new to HAL, however, so we have a limited n), we had priority tendering last year in the Caribbean (and this year in northern Europe) and it was invaluable.  

There was a separate line, and the staff called ahead to the tender getting ready to depart to try and make room for a small bunch of us, communicating that we were priority. Some people without priority later complained they couldn't get off for 1.5 hours in a popular port. 

Now if there were only priority tender *returns* , and not just priority outbound, it would be perfect (but you still have to stand in land with non-priority people on the return, and that can add an hour -- last year in Half Moon it added 1.5 hours).

I also like the quieter Club Orange dining room on the Pinnacle class.  It is easier to get seated if you have open seating, easier to get a waiter's attention, and because they serve suite pax (who frankly expect more because they pay so much more), the waiters are very service-oriented and understaffing seemed less of an issue. 

12 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

IF one is not planning on getting off the ship, that makes perfect sense.

But if a port is a place that often gets first-timers, without status, not in suites,  I would think that most first-timers want to get off and see some of the port, so it could be good to get a jump on those by having CO (or priority from something else). 

You make excellent points (as you always do).

If what OP is taking is a 7-day cruise and if she/he is new to the Caribbean, then by all means whatever priority they can get is precious. DW & I, after three or so Caribbean cruises, feel like we have seen what there is to see and have sought out other warm-weather destinations for our winter getaways. Each island has its own story (the ruins of St.-Pierre, the erstwhile capital of Martinique that got totally destroyed in the 1902 volcanic eruption, stand out in our recollection), but for the most part we've found that each island blends into the other. 

I can only imagine how dreadful it must be to spend 90 minutes waiting to tender back from HMC. Our pattern has been to frolic with the manta rays (for me, one of the all-time great shorex, BTW), grab a quick lunch at the picnic tables, and head back before the crowds press in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Petronillus said:

You make excellent points (as you always do).

If what OP is taking is a 7-day cruise and if she/he is new to the Caribbean, then by all means whatever priority they can get is precious. DW & I, after three or so Caribbean cruises, feel like we have seen what there is to see and have sought out other warm-weather destinations for our winter getaways. Each island has its own story (the ruins of St.-Pierre, the erstwhile capital of Martinique that got totally destroyed in the 1902 volcanic eruption, stand out in our recollection), but for the most part we've found that each island blends into the other. 

I can only imagine how dreadful it must be to spend 90 minutes waiting to tender back from HMC. Our pattern has been to frolic with the manta rays (for me, one of the all-time great shorex, BTW), grab a quick lunch at the picnic tables, and head back before the crowds press in.

I will check out the manta rays next visit 🙂

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have added CO to my booking. I am a younger cruiser and use cruising as a convenient way to see more of the world and get a feel for different destinations I may want to explore more in-depth in the future. Any additional (teeny tiny) time I can spend in port, instead of waiting for a tender, is a massive bonus for me. Plus the quieter dinning sounds lovely. As I am cruising solo this time I will likely be enjoying my book over dinner so somewhere a bit quieter than the main dining room sounds like a real treat. 

Thanks again 🙂🚢 Happy cruising!

• Like 2

I don't even get off the ship at HMC! If you think those manta rays ( actually they are sting rays, manga rays are much bigger) are great, you need to go to Grand Cayman, Belize, Moorea, Bora Bora and see them wild. And go to  Nusa Penida Indonesia and see manta rays, which are 20 feet wide!

I have been to Belize! Spent 10 days exploring the country, and agree the snorkeling/diving there is amazing 🙂 Won't be doing the rays at HMC but will instead do some kayaking, hiking, and maybe a bit of beach time as I won't be putting a foot on a beach in the other ports I am visiting likely👍 

The number of Neptune Suite guests is fairly fixed. The 7 day Caribbean itineraries are not super popular with 4*and 5* Mariners. They tend to prefer longer cruises. (We're 4* and have a weeklong cruise booked because of limited vacation. I don't expect to be sailing with a gaggle of high star Mariners.)

With Club Orange, I'd guess that you'll be among the first 5-7% off the ship. That's not shabby. You can also parlay your CO interior to a higher category I or J room on decks 5, 6, or 7. That way you'll have passenger decks above and below you for a quieter experience.

I did not even touch on the wonders of the Club Orange tote bag....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

The number of Neptune Suite guests is fairly fixed. The 7 day Caribbean itineraries are not super popular with 4*and 5* Mariners. They tend to prefer longer cruises. (We're 4* and have a weeklong cruise booked because of limited vacation. I don't expect to be sailing with a gaggle of high star Mariners.)

With Club Orange, I'd guess that you'll be among the first 5-7% off the ship. That's not shabby. You can also parlay your CO interior to a higher category I or J room on decks 5, 6, or 7. That way you'll have passenger decks above and below you for a quieter experience.

I did not even touch on the wonders of the Club Orange tote bag....

Oh do tell about the tote bag! I am intrigued lol 🙂 

22 hours ago, BalancingWanderlust said:

We're new to HAL, having only done one cruise with two more booked. The one that we did was on the Westerdam, and I added CO to that. I booked the lowest interior and upgraded to one of the "insides with window" on Observation deck. That cabin was a winner from several points of view. My husband really, really hates standing in line, so cabin upgrade aside we'll always book CO since that pretty much eliminates standing in line at the MDR. Some of the extra entrees for CO in the MDR were very good. And there's always that fantastic orange bag!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

We're new to HAL, having only done one cruise with two more booked. The one that we did was on the Westerdam, and I added CO to that. I booked the lowest interior and upgraded to one of the "insides with window" on Observation deck. That cabin was a winner from several points of view. My husband really, really hates standing in line, so cabin upgrade aside we'll always book CO since that pretty much eliminates standing in line at the MDR. Some of the extra entrees for CO in the MDR were very good. And there's always that fantastic orange bag!

What tote bag?  I was in a suite this year and there was no bag offered (admittedly I didn't *ask* for one, because I'd brought my own, from another cruise).  I need compensation!!! 🙂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, BalancingWanderlust said:

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have added CO to my booking. I am a younger cruiser and use cruising as a convenient way to see more of the world and get a feel for different destinations I may want to explore more in-depth in the future. Any additional (teeny tiny) time I can spend in port, instead of waiting for a tender, is a massive bonus for me. Plus the quieter dinning sounds lovely. As I am cruising solo this time I will likely be enjoying my book over dinner so somewhere a bit quieter than the main dining room sounds like a real treat. 

Thanks again 🙂🚢 Happy cruising!

Congrats on securing CO! Be sure to listen/read where priority pax meet for tender (usually PG or one of the bars) so you do get in one of the early groups.

If you aren't greeted by a nifty orange-trimmed tote bag on your bed, be sure to ask your cabin steward for one. The outside mesh pickets are perfect for water bottles 🍶 when going ashore. It will look like this, but have "Club Orange" instead of "Savor the Journey."

Screenshot_20240704_104621_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8ae95d6e4201e5e058efc2ea57753b26.jpg

The library is great for reading  - you are welcome to take your own book or read one of theirs.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Upload

34 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

What tote bag?  I was in a suite this year and there was no bag offered (admittedly I didn't *ask* for one, because I'd brought my own, from another cruise).  I need compensation!!! 🙂

You certainly do need compensation! 😂

34 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

As you can see it is a lovely zippered, lined tote! Compared to the rather plain, unlined, no zipper, regular tote.

20240704_103633.thumb.jpg.c01ee4941b7ec881f9c259319ac99550.jpg

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Congrats on securing CO! Be sure to listen/read where priority pax meet for tender (usually PG or one of the bars) so you do get in one of the early groups.

If you aren't greeted by a nifty orange-trimmed tote bag on your bed, be sure to ask your cabin steward for one. The outside mesh pickets are perfect for water bottles 🍶 when going ashore. It will look like this, but have "Club Orange" instead of "Savor the Journey."

Screenshot_20240704_104621_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8ae95d6e4201e5e058efc2ea57753b26.jpg

The library is great for reading  - you are welcome to take your own book or read one of theirs.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! 🙂 will definitely listen to the announcements for the tender. And yes will definitely be checking out the library...I will be packing MANY books but it's fun to browse and potentially find a better book 📚 

8 minutes ago, kluv2cruz said:

What category is this please? 

It's a category K. On the Westerdam and probably any other ship that has these there are only two. On the Westerdam they're cabins 10024 and 10021. The window looks out on a walkway, but the cabin is nice and you get natural light. Extra handy for Crow's Nest for morning coffee. I'd book one of those cabins again like a shot. Below is what it looks like. Real window on the right, fake window behind the beds.

PXL_20230920_153321438.jpg

Edited by Sea Hag
adding image
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1