General Cruise Cash / Bar Cash

Hello,

I am looking at buying some Carnival gift cards from AARP. I am reading the Carnival Website and it says for the Bar Cash "Cruise Cash Bar purchases limited to $500 per cabin" and for General Cruise Cash "Cruise Cash purchases limited to $500 per cabin". My plan was to purchase $500 worth of the Bar Cash for drinks and $500 of the General Cash for gratuities and Misc. Is that ok? or is it a total of $500 for both?

If you're going to use this for your own cruise, just buy the gift cards and bring them on board.  No need to purchase cruise cash.  You can apply the gift cards with the kiosks by guest services to your account while on board, and if for some reason the kiosks aren't working, the guest service folks can do it.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, totz808 said:

If you're going to use this for your own cruise, just buy the gift cards and bring them on board.  No need to purchase cruise cash.  You can apply the gift cards with the kiosks by guest services to your account while on board, and if for some reason the kiosks aren't working, the guest service folks can do it.

thanks for that info. Is there no way to add them through the app?

11 minutes ago, tonyfall1 said:

thanks for that info. Is there no way to add them through the app?

I don't think there is.  The app doesn't even work until you're on board anyway.  Maybe they've added the feature recently, I don't know, but last I heard you gotta do it at the kiosk or at guest services.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, totz808 said:

I don't think there is.  The app doesn't even work until you're on board anyway.  Maybe they've added the feature recently, I don't know, but last I heard you gotta do it at the kiosk or at guest services.

thanks.. kiosk would work.. just hoping to avoid guest services lol.

2 hours ago, tonyfall1 said:

thanks.. kiosk would work.. just hoping to avoid guest services lol.

It's been awhile since I started my cruise with gift cards, now I just add a credit card & add the gift cards late night when there is no line. But anyway, I used to have the person checking us in add them. But like I said it's been awhile since I did that

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, babygrljaz said:

It's been awhile since I started my cruise with gift cards, now I just add a credit card & add the gift cards late night when there is no line. But anyway, I used to have the person checking us in add them. But like I said it's been awhile since I did that

I second this plan - check-in with a credit card, wait until the last day or night of the cruise and go add the gift cards when there's not a line...  No reason to buy cruise cash - it's use it or lose it, non-refundable!

• Like 3

To answer your question:  You can buy $500 of bar cash and $500 of cruise cash per cabin if you want.

Both are non-refundable. I never would have had a problem with that!  I use a credit card but whatever works for you will work.  Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This may go beyond OP's request, but...

Prior to boarding, my plan is to go on-line and use Gift Cards to buy enough Cruise Cash (General) to get me through the first day on the ship.  That way we have immediate spending ability upon embarking, avoiding a trip to either the kiosk or Guest Services desk to initially fund our Sail and Sign account.  Then, throughout the cruise, I stop by the kiosk/GS to apply Gift Cards as needed (usually later in the evening when lines are low or non-existent).

Of course, if you put a credit card on file, you will also have instant spending power upon boarding.  Carnival won't actually charge your card until later in the cruise, so you can stop by kiosk/GS at a more convenient time to apply Gift Cards.  Note that this method avoids charges to your credit card, but Carnival will put a hold on your credit card, hold amount based on your cruise length.

These are two methods to take full advantage of discounted Gift Cards and still have immediate funding of your Sail and Sign card upon boarding.

• Like 1

If your going to buy gift Cards from AARP i wouldnt use them to buy Cruise or Bar Cash. Best to just put them right on your account like the others say when your onboard.  The kiosks work well and you can go when there isnt any lines.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kdr69 said:

If your going to buy gift Cards from AARP i wouldnt use them to buy Cruise or Bar Cash. Best to just put them right on your account like the others say when your onboard.  The kiosks work well and you can go when there isnt any lines.

As usual, your recommendation is valid, but my goal would be to have the ability to buy drinks (or make other purchases) as soon as I get on board and put off having to visit the kiosk or Guest Services desk until a later time.  If I don't want to put a credit card on file, and any On Board Credit that I might have won't cover my first day, I think Cruise Cash (General) is a solid plan.  Especially when I can purchase Cruise Cash with a discounted Gift Card.

If we had the ability to apply Gift Cards directly to our account prior to boarding, I would be singing a different tune.

I hope all these various views are helpful to the OP and others who are weighing their account funding options.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2024 at 12:25 PM, Top_of_the_Cube said:

but Carnival will put a hold on your credit card, hold amount based on your cruise length.

actually they will put a hold each day on your credit card and that hold amount each day is equal to what you spent on board that day.  ex: If you spent 150 on Monday that evening they would put a hold on your card for 150.  The amount they put a hold on the very first day is usually based on your cruise length and for 7 days i believe its 200 dollars.  This why a) you need room on your card for the holds plus what you plan on spending and b) you shouldn't use a debit card unless you have a large balance as the holds could be on for up to 2 weeks after you leave the ship tying up your cash.  I do buy Cruise cash but only up to an amount i am sure to spend (usually 200 dollars) as its use it or lose it.  I rarely buy Bar cash but if your looking to budget for your drinks it is a good option. 

• Like 2

On 7/9/2024 at 1:33 PM, Top_of_the_Cube said:

As usual, your recommendation is valid, but my goal would be to have the ability to buy drinks (or make other purchases) as soon as I get on board and put off having to visit the kiosk or Guest Services desk until a later time.  If I don't want to put a credit card on file, and any On Board Credit that I might have won't cover my first day, I think Cruise Cash (General) is a solid plan.  Especially when I can purchase Cruise Cash with a discounted Gift Card.

If we had the ability to apply Gift Cards directly to our account prior to boarding, I would be singing a different tune.

I hope all these various views are helpful to the OP and others who are weighing their account funding options.

Just fund your S&S account with a credit card, and then at some point before you check out - feed your gift cards into a kiosk or give them to guest services.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Just fund your S&S account with a credit card, and then at some point before you check out - feed your gift cards into a kiosk or give them to guest services.

They don't actually bill until the end of the cruise so it would not matter when I entered them as long as it was prior to the end of the cruise, correct?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, tonyfall1 said:

They don't actually bill until the end of the cruise so it would not matter when I entered them as long as it was prior to the end of the cruise, correct?

Correct. They will place holds throughout the cruise, but will not actually charge your card until after you scan your S&S card to debark the ship on debarkation morning.

All the holds will clear within a week or so after the cruise.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 1:33 PM, Top_of_the_Cube said:

When you check in at the port, you can usually add the gift cards.  The last time I used them (granted it was 2-3 years ago), I was able to have the cards applied to my S&S card at the port when checking in.  At least worth asking.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TerReuv said:

When you check in at the port, you can usually add the gift cards.  The last time I used them (granted it was 2-3 years ago), I was able to have the cards applied to my S&S card at the port when checking in.  At least worth asking.

Thanks for that info.  I agree, it is worth asking.  In 2021, I was not able to apply gift cards to my account in the terminal.  Of course, that was after the restart and maybe it was a temporary thing.  A few years prior I seem to recall the same situation, but couldn't swear to it.

For my personal situation, I like to arrive at the pier late enough that I walk straight onto the ship.  I would rather not have the extra delay in boarding.  Might not be a big deal to some, but so be it.

I am curious, @TerReuv, was your experience at the Port of Galveston?

On 7/10/2024 at 3:17 PM, n6uqqq said:

Having the ability to add gift cards from the Carnival Hub app would be an awesome addition to the app hint hint wink wink! 

agree

For those that have added their gift card via the kiosk, are you able to just type in the info for the gift card if its digital? Dont have a physical card or such. Thanks!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Katshia said:

For those that have added their gift card via the kiosk, are you able to just type in the info for the gift card if its digital? Dont have a physical card or such. Thanks!

yes

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 7:43 PM, sgttami said:

To answer your question:  You can buy $500 of bar cash and $500 of cruise cash per cabin if you want.

Both are non-refundable. I never would have had a problem with that!  I use a credit card but whatever works for you will work.  Enjoy!

All things being equal -  the gift cards you can save 8%.

On 7/12/2024 at 1:06 PM, Top_of_the_Cube said:

Thanks for that info.  I agree, it is worth asking.  In 2021, I was not able to apply gift cards to my account in the terminal.  Of course, that was after the restart and maybe it was a temporary thing.  A few years prior I seem to recall the same situation, but couldn't swear to it.

For my personal situation, I like to arrive at the pier late enough that I walk straight onto the ship.  I would rather not have the extra delay in boarding.  Might not be a big deal to some, but so be it.

I am curious, @TerReuv, was your experience at the Port of Galveston?

I've actually never sailed from Galveston.  I've sailed from New Orleans, Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale & Miami.  I was able to apply cards during check-in at the port at New Orleans, Jacksonville & Ft. Lauderdale. The last two we've taken since the restart, we didn't use gift cards as we had a lot of OBC. It sure was convenient.