Has anyone with disabilities traveled to Greenland?

I'll let you know after I come back next month.  I do know that if you use a scooter or are full-time wheelchair bound, you won't be getting off the ship at the ports we're going to, as they are tender ports.

• Like 1

I was there in June 2019, traveling solo.  At that time, I used a scooter on the ship & my walker/rollator in the 3 Greenland ports.  I could walk but only for short distances & time.

Only Nuuk, the capitol, was truly a port at which we could dock (Caribbean Princess). I did a ship's tour there on a bus. The other 2 stops were at very small villages that required tendering.  The scooter couldn't go on the tenders, but the rollator folds & could go on the tender.

It's difficult getting on the bus, but I did have a front row seat. I did not get off at any stops (there were few).  However, I did have a good view & could hear the driver/guide quite well.

In the 2 villages (Qaqortoq & Nanotalik), each had a wooden fishing pier.  Only 1 tender could off-load/on-load at a time.  Going ashore took 2 hrs or more; returning to the ship took longer.  There was very little paved road, but my rollator worked well (a bit bumpy) for me to explore some of the area.  And I could always sit & rest on the rollator.

Although I probably wouldn't do the Greenland cruise again (I'm now less mobile), I very glad that I was able to do it.  It was a very interesting -- all of the white/gray rock out-crops & beautiful coast lines as well as the friendly people.  I've read that the villages are getting "improvements" to better handle the increased in cruises.

Of course, check w/your cruise line about the HA aspects of your particular ship.  If you use a wheelchair full time, this might not be the cruise you want as tenders & gravel roads aren't WC friendly.

Good luck!

16 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

I was there in June 2019, traveling solo.  At that time, I used a scooter on the ship & my walker/rollator in the 3 Greenland ports.  I could walk but only for short distances & time.

Only Nuuk, the capitol, was truly a port at which we could dock (Caribbean Princess). I did a ship's tour there on a bus. The other 2 stops were at very small villages that required tendering.  The scooter couldn't go on the tenders, but the rollator folds & could go on the tender.

It's difficult getting on the bus, but I did have a front row seat. I did not get off at any stops (there were few).  However, I did have a good view & could hear the driver/guide quite well.

In the 2 villages (Qaqortoq & Nanotalik), each had a wooden fishing pier.  Only 1 tender could off-load/on-load at a time.  Going ashore took 2 hrs or more; returning to the ship took longer.  There was very little paved road, but my rollator worked well (a bit bumpy) for me to explore some of the area.  And I could always sit & rest on the rollator.

Although I probably wouldn't do the Greenland cruise again (I'm now less mobile), I very glad that I was able to do it.  It was a very interesting -- all of the white/gray rock out-crops & beautiful coast lines as well as the friendly people.  I've read that the villages are getting "improvements" to better handle the increased in cruises.

Of course, check w/your cruise line about the HA aspects of your particular ship.  If you use a wheelchair full time, this might not be the cruise you want as tenders & gravel roads aren't WC friendly.

Good luck!

Thank you!

I will be going in September 2024. I bought a BuzzAround Carry On Folding Scooter. It’s very easy to fold into the base and the seat.  Base Weighs @ 40 lbs and the seat @ 12 lbs. We sailed on Celebrity in May 2024 which included Martha’s Vineyard, a tender point. 
I was allowed to bring the scooter b/c I could walk onto the tender. My DH carried the base and I had the seat. The loading crew assisted us in getting the scooter on and off the tender. 
Celebrity crew advised us that as long as it folds and the person using  it can transfer into the tender I could bring it. I am  planning on doing that in September. 
Please keep in mind that if it’s too rough the cruise line can say no. I went o GS and asked on Day 1 and that’s what they told me. I am prepared that it’s very much a game day decision. I would suggest trying to see a video of tendering on the specific ship. My tender experience was just walking on the platform but on the Eclipse you have to come down a flight of stairs going and then climb up the stairs upon return. I’m sailing on Jewel

in September and that process is the same as Ecliose. 
I will have more info after the sailing 

• Like 1