Outside obstructed vs outside deck 1

We have booked an outside obstructed cabin for our Alaska cruise next year on the new Amsterdam on deck 4. We also have club orange and we can get an upgrade to an outside cabin on deck 1. The spa outside are unfortunately already sold out. The nice lady from HAL advised us to stay on deck 4. Can anyone tell us which is better?

If all you care about is daylight, stick with deck 4.  If you want to actually have a view from your window, do deck 1 but be careful not be directly under the galley or any noisy music venue. Also avoid connecting staterooms, no matter which deck. Also bear in mind in Alaska you'll want to be outside viewing, not looking through a relatively small window (that's located over the head of the bed). A verandah is nice because if you get cold you can duck inside and still have the floor to ceiling unobstructed view. But, with only an oceanview you can still duck inside the ship & then go back outside as desired. You can always look for a seat near a window in a public venue as well.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 4

I agree with post #2.  The nice thing about NA is that there are chaise loungers on the Promenade Deck and the ability to walk around the entire deck v looking out from a window.  We usually book in the obstructed category because they are good value.  You probably didn't book the cruise to sit in your stateroom anyway.

• Like 1

I would keep the deck 4 room. We were in a "mini-suite" on Deck 7. Spent extremely little time in cabin. Wish I would have saved $$$ and booked a window. We were up on deck most of the time. The ship is beautiful, enjoy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ciskadeg said:

We have booked an outside obstructed cabin for our Alaska cruise next year on the new Amsterdam on deck 4. We also have club orange and we can get an upgrade to an outside cabin on deck 1.

If the spa OVs are sold out, probably the (half-or-fewer) acceptible OVs on Main deck 1 are too. Many sources of evening and all-night noise on Deck 2 (overhead noise is worse than under your cabin). I speak from experience with a guarantee on the Nieuw Amsterdam, on Main Deck under the Blues Club now Rolling Stone Rock Room.

Perhaps you can pay for an HH and get a G on Upper Prom. deck 4?

I would not chance it.  You could end up under a venue.  I have been in a lower deck OV room/Volendam.  Being close to the water line, we could watch fish on our Alaska cruise.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 8:41 PM, crystalspin said:

If the spa OVs are sold out, probably the (half-or-fewer) acceptible OVs on Main deck 1 are too. Many sources of evening and all-night noise on Deck 2 (overhead noise is worse than under your cabin). I speak from experience with a guarantee on the Nieuw Amsterdam, on Main Deck under the Blues Club now Rolling Stone Rock Room.

Perhaps you can pay for an HH and get a G on Upper Prom. deck 4?

We already had a cabin on deck 4 G categorie. We now had an upgrade from HAL to a veranda cabin so problem is solved

• Like 4

I'd prefer a Deck 1 ocean view to an obstructed view on any deck. I like the uncluttered view of the ocean, and I can keep the curtains open all day/all night without risk of crew climbing over life boats outside my window. For me, cruise fares are like investments, and I wouldn't pay for a partial ocean view when I can have a full ocean view. To each his own.  

• Like 1

Maybe look at the location of the rooms. Which would be closest to getting outside for a view of what you're passing? Because the whales will always be on the opposite side of the ship! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2024 at 4:22 PM, Boatdrill said:

I'd prefer a Deck 1 ocean view to an obstructed view on any deck. I like the uncluttered view of the ocean, and I can keep the curtains open all day/all night without risk of crew climbing over life boats outside my window. For me, cruise fares are like investments, and I wouldn't pay for a partial ocean view when I can have a full ocean view. To each his own.  

I agree that to each his own. I saved $10,000 by moving from an OV to an obstructed OV on a world cruise.

• Like 4