Cruising on Crystal with pre diabetes/type 2 diabetes

Cruiserbunny199

If one has "pre-diabetes" and will be on a cruise for only 1-2 weeks, I can see three choices:

1. Strict adherence to a diabetic diet

2. Just avoid excessive indulgences

3. Ignore dietary modifications altogether

The long-term medical outcome will be the same whichever is chosen.

I'd probably choose #2, but purely for psychological (not medical) reasons.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I don't know if Crystal has any "low carb" bread or if that could be arranged for you ahead of time (maybe some on board now could comment), e.g., if you could arrange to have a few frozen loaves sent in for you in advance (Crystal aims to please). 

But you certainly don't need to have low carb bread to be able to manage your "pre-diabetes" with ease on Crystal and most other cruise ships.

1.  I don't know how far in the future your cruise is, but just losing some weight *before* you cruise , if your BMI is over 25, often eliminates "pre-diabetes"  (even 5-10% weight loss is often significant).  

This is easier said than done (since everyone on this board can afford to eat whatever they want and food is available and tasty -- we like our food), but cutting overall energy intake and/or increasing energy output (i.e., some form of exercise) unfortunately are still key components to management (on cruise or off).  Talk to your doctor, of course. 

2.  As noted in post #2, if you're on a short cruise, and just have pre-DM, it won't matter much in the long run what you eat. It is a choice. It'd be unusual for someone to go on a cruise pre-diabetic (i.e., pre-type 2), feast 2x their caloric needs every day with all of it in carbs, not exercise at all, and emerge with life-threatening sugars (if you get an infection while on board, however, all bets are off, as that could surge sugars). 

But even if there is no low carb bread, there is plenty available to eat on a cruise that would help you avoid big carb loads (*if* you choose to do that even though you are offered a special opportunity -- a cruise with wonderful desserts, to indulge).

If you're overweight, it is not just what you eat qualitatively,  it's how much energy you take in (including energy from alcohol) compared with how much you burn.  If you gain weight on a cruise (or anywhere) , and don't exercise much, your pre-DM may get worse. You have likely heard this before. 

Here is one of many typical "diet" recommendations for pre-diabetics (or talk to your doctor).

Almost everything is available on a ship (even if there is no low carb bread).

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/prediabetes-diet

Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by Catlover54
Typos
  • Like 1

I had this conversation with a physician.  She said everything in moderation.  There are augar free desserts onboard.  Eat very small portions of the forbidden foods and you will be okay.  I actually lost weight on my last cruise by limiting the foods I ate.  2 meals on program and one moderately off.  Also let the MaitreD know and they will bring you the menu for the next day so you can make good selections

• Like 6

To put pre-diabetes in perspective, this is from the CDC website:

• Total: 97.6 million people aged 18 years or older have prediabetes (38.0% of the adult U.S. population)
  • 65 years or older: 27.2 million people aged 65 years or older (48.8%) have prediabetes

Pre-diabetes is really not a disease but rather a warning to shape up (literally)

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Mr B (Dr A irl) suggests you walk an hour on the promenade deck every day.

If outside isn’t good, the treadmills are up on deck 13, aft.

Speaking of aft, there are stairs from 12 down to seven for a great outdoor workout. Indoors, even more levels! My recommendation is to hold on tight, followed by serious hand-washing.

And all of the above suggestions sound spot on to me. Sugar-free dessert always available at Waterside and Marketplace. 

Have a great cruise!

Edited by May B
  • Like 4

I have been a Type 2 Diabetic for 40 years and have never really worried about what to eat on Crystal.  Just enjoy the experience.  

I adhere to skybluewaters  2 & 3.  It works fine for me.

On my last cruise the Diabetic monitor 'alarm bells' went off with two other dinner guests.  There was no panic and everyone continued with their excellent Waterside dinner.      

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Aloha. Have been blessed to travel around the world with diabetes for decades on countless ships and by air/land.  The advice given is excellent and the key is follow your glucose monitor and eat in moderation but if you can don't deny yourself and enjoy! It can be done. By the way I exercise daily and don't drink or smoke or use illegal substances. 

• Like 1