Asking your TA to make dinner reservations

Hi, I have read posts where people recommend asking your TA to make the dinner reservations for you, there appears to be ongoing issues with the app crashing and the restaurants getting booked up very quickly, 

The portal opens for bookings just after midnight on the advertised date, if I leave it to my TA  will most restaurants not be sold out by the time the TA gets to do the booking, which will be business hours, or do they get advanced booking perks ? 

Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SM Cruiser said:

Hi, I have read posts where people recommend asking your TA to make the dinner reservations for you, there appears to be ongoing issues with the app crashing and the restaurants getting booked up very quickly, 

The portal opens for bookings just after midnight on the advertised date, if I leave it to my TA  will most restaurants not be sold out by the time the TA gets to do the booking, which will be business hours, or do they get advanced booking perks ? 

Thanks

Some won’t wait for “business hours”. They will do it for you when it opens up at whatever time. 

My TA will do it at midnight  EST when the portal opens.  What I do is to send her the list of what I'd like to have on which night and approximately what times in advance.  She understands that I will try to do it thru the app, but if the app crashes, I'll shoot her a message and she will take over from there.  She also knows that if I say 8:00, that means get it as close to that time as you can.  FWIW, the most I've been able to do on my own is 3 nights, then the crash.

Will it be full or not by the next morning?  That depends on how full your cruise is and how many people jump on trying to make reservations at midnight.  My first cruise, I didn't do reservations till the next morning on the phone to VV (different TA for that first cruise).  I had no problem, but that cruise was only half full.  Since than, no problem with getting reservations, but I was doing it at or near midnight.

• Like 1

I have been up and ready to go at 20 minutes to midnight to book excursions and restaurants for my clients and myself. Even when I have to work my other job the next morning. So I would talk with your travel agent and see what they will do for you. If they won't commit or won't jump on it when it opens then maybe find another agent. You definitely want a Gold level First Mate.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SM Cruiser said:

Good TAs stay up till midnight ET to book the dining times. Ours does.  There has only been one time our TA could not make the bookings because their booking engine crashed. But otherwise we wake up in the morning and our reservations are already completed and in the app. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This my first VV cruise and concerned about dining reservations. We are now a party of 6 and all our first VV cruise. Have done many cruises (most Celebrity). First can our TA link reservations so we can reserve table for 6? Also dining reservations open January 1 2025 for our cruise so don’t think nor expect our TA will make reservations on New Years Eve. Our boarding time in San Juan is 3pm Feb 15 2025 and don’t want to wait till then. Eating very late is not ultimate for us. Any intel that would help a first time VV?

YOU or your TA can link your reservations on the app.  Then, when you make reservations, you will just click on the people you are reserving for.  This will work for dining and all activities.  It is not automatic; you must indicate the people you are including in each reservation.  
Your TA may not be celebrating, so may be available to help you.  Alternatively, you can call shoreside sailor services on the first business day after the app crashes.  Sorry--I've had the app crash on each cruise.  I generally get in 2-3 nights of reservations and then the crash.  It may come back up hours later or may not....

The linking can be done as soon as everyone has reservations.  If they have done their on line registration with the selfie, their photo will show in the link.

• Thanks 1