Holiday Inn Express on 17th in Fort Lauderdale

I just wanted to follow up on this hotel that I previously asked about. We did end up staying here. However, a couple of notes:

1. Even though the website says just call to get the shuttle when you arrive, the shuttle only runs once an hour or so. After the fact, I wish I had just taken a taxi versus waiting.

2. There are many Holiday Inn Express hotels that offer shuttles to/from FLL. None of them list the address of their hotel on the shuttle. The shuttle I needed was shared with a Four Points Sheraton. At one point I ended up asking every driver that HIE on their shuttle if they were the ones for my hotel.

3. After checking in, we walked over to Carrabas for dinner.

4. The complimentary breakfast was mobbed and constantly running out of things, due to being mobbed. The staff did their best, but it was hard to keep up. But, if you are staying here pre-cruise, do you really need a huge breakfast?

5. It did appear that some crew were staying here as well, before signing on.

6. Depending on your definition of "walking distance in the summer in southern Florida", this hotel is walking distance to a Walgreens. I made the trek in the morning for some items my wife wanted. 

7. If you are lucky enough to get invited to the Princess GO lounge (for suites), it's practically next door and walking distance (which is why we stayed here). And if you are lucky enough to get invited, if it's feasible, go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We stayed there once about 5-6 years ago. It was just OK, no frills at all. Kind of crowded then, now they have more rooms so I could only imagine. We like Hyatt Place a few blocks west, always friendly, clean, smaller hotel, good breakfast, They will get you in a room early with no extra charge, as soon as one is ready. Very close to food, wine, ect. 

8 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

We stayed there once about 5-6 years ago. It was just OK, no frills at all. Kind of crowded then, now they have more rooms so I could only imagine. We like Hyatt Place a few blocks west, always friendly, clean, smaller hotel, good breakfast, They will get you in a room early with no extra charge, as soon as one is ready. Very close to food, wine, ect. 

Yes, people suggested the Hyatt Place to me (seems to have a VERY loyal following). My primary reason for selecting the HIE was to be next door to the Princess Go lounge. I did not want to lug my luggage any further than that distance. And while nice that the Hyatt will get you into your room early, my flight didn't arrive until 8pm so that was not a concern.

• Like 1

We stayed there a few years ago, had the same issue with the shuttle.. waited 45 minutes only ending up taking a taxi instead, oh well .. live and learn,, the hotel was fine for a pre-cruise stay. 

I stayed at the Hyatt Place off 17th earlier this year, and it was lovely, but with a per-night charge of twice what Holiday Inn Express is charging for next year's one-night stay, I couldn't justify it. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 11:14 AM, 1025cruise said:

I just wanted to follow up on this hotel that I previously asked about. We did end up staying here. However, a couple of notes:

1. Even though the website says just call to get the shuttle when you arrive, the shuttle only runs once an hour or so. After the fact, I wish I had just taken a taxi versus waiting.

2. There are many Holiday Inn Express hotels that offer shuttles to/from FLL. None of them list the address of their hotel on the shuttle. The shuttle I needed was shared with a Four Points Sheraton. At one point I ended up asking every driver that HIE on their shuttle if they were the ones for my hotel.

3. After checking in, we walked over to Carrabas for dinner.

4. The complimentary breakfast was mobbed and constantly running out of things, due to being mobbed. The staff did their best, but it was hard to keep up. But, if you are staying here pre-cruise, do you really need a huge breakfast?

5. It did appear that some crew were staying here as well, before signing on.

6. Depending on your definition of "walking distance in the summer in southern Florida", this hotel is walking distance to a Walgreens. I made the trek in the morning for some items my wife wanted. 

7. If you are lucky enough to get invited to the Princess GO lounge (for suites), it's practically next door and walking distance (which is why we stayed here). And if you are lucky enough to get invited, if it's feasible, go. 

Great info for future travelers!