Zodiac tours with shoulder injury????

I am scheduled for total shoulder replacement surgery soon after our return from cruise in Alaska... we are currently booked for 2 Zodiac tours amidst the glaciers (embarking next weekend). I know they assist on and off the Zodiac, but now I am wondering how rough the actual ride is--- and if I am being unrealistic in my hopes of being able to handle this.
We r also booked on a helicopter to land on glacier.
Please share any advice you can offer. 

You'll be fine. I did 3 zodiacs 2 weeks ago in the fjords and it was fine. Some of the pilots are a bit more adventurous  than others. If you are really concerned, ask the leader to put you on with a calmer pilot. Captain Hook left the boat with us and he was the most 'fun'.

At the briefing for the following days activities you should be told what conditions will be like. You can then assess if it's too wild of a ride for you.  Most are not.  The other issue could be getting in and out of the zodiac.  If the swells are swelly, you will need both hands using a sailor grip to get in and out safely.  Have a discussion with the expedition team about how they can help you in and out safely.

I have been on many trips where disabled passengers were helped in and out of Zodiacs. Think Parkinsons or MS. On a recent trip the team was able to give a zodiac tour to a lovely woman in a wheelchair, without the wheelchair of course.   Amazing how careful and kind they often are.

My concern would be getting on and off the zodiac.  We were on the Venture in Antarctica and everyone - including those with disablilities and canes, was required to use the sailor’s grip to enter and leave a zodiac for safety reasons. It is the most secure way to prevent you from slipping and falling into the sea.  They make a major point of teaching this technique during orientation.  The sailor’s grip does put stress on the shoulder and I can’t think of any alternative approach that would not involve your shoulder in some way.  They can’t just lift you on and off.  So I would check with your doc to see if you are cleared to use the sailor’s grip healing or pain wise.  I hope you get a positive response.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to post an update in case anyone else with limitations ever stumbles on this post:

I spoke with the expeditions team at length and offered to pass my reservation on to another in wait.
They assured me in the specific location my tour was to take place... (HUBBARD GLACIER)... Seas were usually always calm.
I would be assisted on to the zodiac with sailor's grip and unless there is a threat of weather, I was good to go.

I canceled my second zodiac tour which would not be in as isolated a location and weather was a concern- therefore I ran risk of increased motion. (Although team leader did not feel I needed to... I was grateful to have had the one, and felt no need to roll the dice.)

• Like 3