Transportation from Boston Logan Airport to the Seaport

Hello

With the closing of the summer tunnel can someone please advise me of the most economical way to get from the airport to the hotel I am staying in at the seaport. I looked up Uber and their rate was $89.00 which seemed extremely high. I also looked up another car service and their quote was $69.00. I arrive in August but the tunnel is closed the weekend of my arrival. Any information is appreciated. 

I know the water taxi is an option but since I will have luggage to haul are taxis available from where the water shuttles drop you off?

2 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

I looked up Uber and their rate was $89.00 which seemed extremely high.

That’s not possible. I regularly take UberX downtown from Logan and it’s usually around $28-30 and even UberBlack is $50ish. I just looked on the app now and it’s the same.

Uber doesn’t have a fixed rate- it will depend on demand. Never prebook at an airport as the rate is always much higher than it usually is when you summon the car when you get there (which could be what happened here).

Uber or Lyft are going to be the best way to get from Logan to the Seaport. 

8 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

That’s not possible. I regularly take UberX downtown from Logan and it’s usually around $28-30 and even UberBlack is $50ish. I just looked on the app now and it’s the same.

Uber doesn’t have a fixed rate- it will depend on demand. Never prebook at an airport as the rate is always much higher than it usually is when you summon the car when you get there (which could be what happened here).

Uber or Lyft are going to be the best way to get from Logan to the Seaport. 

I must have been looking at Uber Black as I just checked on my phone again and the rate for today was $25.00 so thank you for the information. However when I went into make a reservation and put in arrival date of August 10 the rate changed to $63.90.So that's quite an increase.

Posted (edited)

Don't reserve Uber in advance.

I would just take a taxi. The only concern you will have regarding the Sumner Tunnel is the additional traffic. To get from the airport to the seaport you would be going through the Ted Williams tunnel anyways for a single exit.

Actually, you could just take the Silver Line from the airport to the Seaport, as long as you don't mind schlepping your bags. The Silver Line at the airport was designed for air travelers so there are racks. It's also free if you get on at the airport.

Edited by 1025cruise
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Don't reserve Uber in advance.

I would just take a taxi. The only concern you will have regarding the Sumner Tunnel is the additional traffic. To get from the airport to the seaport you would be going through the Ted Williams tunnel anyways for a single exit.

Actually, you could just take the Silver Line from the airport to the Seaport, as long as you don't mind schlepping your bags. The Silver Line at the airport was designed for air travelers so there are racks. It's also free if you get on at the airport.

Thank you for that information. 

38 minutes ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

However when I went into make a reservation and put in arrival date of August 10 the rate changed to $63.90.So that's quite an increase.

Uber is always needlessly more expensive when reserved in advance. It will be priced along the lines that you saw at $25-30 if you just hit the Uber when you arrive. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Uber is always needlessly more expensive when reserved in advance. It will be priced along the lines that you saw at $25-30 if you just hit the Uber when you arrive. 

I will check the Uber rate after arriving at the airport. Thank you for the helpful information.

With our Boston stay/departure, we found taxi service pricing to be better than Uber. The taxis have a constant rate and Uber's fluctuate according to how busy they are.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2024 at 11:39 AM, nonni2 said:

The taxis have a constant rate and Uber's fluctuate according to how busy they are.

Until you get caught in traffic coming out of Logan and the math goes sideways on the taxis with the meter running. 

Seconding taking the Silver Line - I did this last fall, and it was easy and fast (although depending on where you get off, you have to pay close attention to the station names on the walls, since the Silver Line runs underground.) 

10 hours ago, lax19 said:

If we arrive at 1:00AM is the Silver Line still a good (safe) choice, or is Uber recommended?

I dont think it's necessarily unsafe but I personally wouldn't take public transport in a city at 1am with luggage. Would much prefer to Uber at that hour. 

• Thanks 1