Picture-A-Week 2024 - Week 28

Pictures taken between Monday, July 8 and Sunday, July 14.

Ask yourself, "why don't I post photos on the CC boards and share with my fellow cruisers?"

If you don't post a picture this week, post an answer to that question.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Practicing with my 'travel' camera for our trip next month to the Galapagos. I have better cameras but prefer this 'all in one' camera ... RX10IV

Likely going to shoot in the aperture mode with some custom settings.

Settings this morning for the 2 pictures ... pretty much at the limits set

Aperture mode

Maximum allowed ISO-800

F/5

Minimum allowed shutter of 1/500

This is a good compromise for this camera for wild life/birding

DSC07861-Edit.jpg

DSC07863-Edit-2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Aperture mode

Maximum allowed ISO-800

F/5

Minimum allowed shutter of 1/500

Don't you know that "real" photographers only shoot in manual mode? 😮

Kidding. 

I have been shooting in Aperture mode since it became an option. I like being able to control depth of field above all else. Minimum shutter speed before ISO bump was one of the best auto features ever and I only rarely find myself using any other setting except choosing AF mode based on what I'm shooting. I also find myself relying on another extremely effective photographic tool...my phone. On our last cruise I took my A7rV with the 24-105 F/4 and my phone. I ended up shooting about 50/50 between the two. I tell myself that not getting lazy, it's just that the camera on the Pixel8 Pro is really that good. After processing and posting the pictures, I can honestly say that I might be a little lazy because the phone is so handy, but it really is a viable second camera for travel. Yay, technology!

Enjoy the Galapagos! It's still on my bucket list.

Dave

8 minutes ago, pierces said:

Don't you know that "real" photographers only shoot in manual mode? 😮

Kidding. 

I have been shooting in Aperture mode since it became an option. I like being able to control depth of field above all else. Minimum shutter speed before ISO bump was one of the best auto features ever and I only rarely find myself using any other setting except choosing AF mode based on what I'm shooting. I also find myself relying on another extremely effective photographic tool...my phone. On our last cruise I took my A7rV with the 24-105 F/4 and my phone. I ended up shooting about 50/50 between the two. I tell myself that not getting lazy, it's just that the camera on the Pixel8 Pro is really that good. After processing and posting the pictures, I can honestly say that I might be a little lazy because the phone is so handy, but it really is a viable second camera for travel. Yay, technology!

Enjoy the Galapagos! It's still on my bucket list.

Dave

"real" photographers shoot in the mode that best handles the current situation. Most often that is aperture mode with some custom settings. If I was shooting sports or car racing I'd be in the 'S' mode and if it's fast run and gun I'd shoot in the 'P' mode.

But I'm like you  ... when the minimums are set I prefer to control the depth of field. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hailee graduated from Cal Poly and Savannah graduated from High School back in May. We had a wonderful family party to celebrate those milestones, then in June we went with them on their graduation cruise. That was that and we didn’t really think about it again until our friend Ron showed up with this nice Belgian Quad last week. I thought the “Class of ‘24” label was pretty cool since we had just celebrated a couple of its members, but the cool factor got turned up to 11 when I realized that it was brewed by Innovation Brew Works. The brewery is on the Cal Poly campus and serves as a learn-by-doing lab to teach brewing and retail management. They even use barley from the school’s agriculture department. A class (of ‘24) act!

Class Act

2024-28ClassAct.thumb.jpg.fa1d6f5a643be9a8baded581192a67ac.jpg

Dave

• Like 4