Marco Polo airport to Trieste

9 minutes ago, room with a view said:

Hi , has anyone taken the Marco Polo to Trieste route ?

Used the train or Flexibus ?

Any trips /comments gratefully accepted !

Took the train last year. Catch a quick bus from the airport to the train station and then a two hour ride to Trieste. Easy Peasy!

Posted (edited)

I've done both!  I took the train to Trieste and used Flixbus from Trieste to VCE. Both took slightly over 2 hrs and cost under 20E.

Keep in mind that the train and bus depots (on the same block)  are about a 15 minute walk from the ship.  It's an easy flat walk on a nice day. But we arrived to a downpour and had to wait an hr for a cab.  

--FlixBus departs from the airport OR from Venice. 

--The train departs from Mestre or Venice, which are about 20 minutes by taxi, 40E  Mestre is a bit closer and easier.  All Venice trains stop in Mestre.

Both options were fine. Choose whichever schedule meets your needs

Edited by mapleleaves

mapleleaves, thanks for all the info.

We are flying into Marco Polo then will travel to Trieste for 4 days then 10 days on the Pearl and then from Trieste back to Marco Polo . We will have to stay overnight at Marco Polo as our flight home is very early 

Posted (edited)

Flixbus has several departures a day directly from the airport, so if their schedule matches your flight, Flix is your easiest option.

Taking the train would require an extra step as Mestre and Venice are a 20 minute drive from the airport.  A cab would cost 40E or the ATVO express bus is 10E pp.   

p.s. we had a 6:20am flight the day after the cruise so we stayed by the airport. That's why we used Flix for the return trip, as it went directly to VCE where the hotel shuttle picked us up

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

I responded to your post on the NCL forum, but I'll respond again in case a new reader is interested.

I've used the train AND Flixbus to travel between Venice and Trieste.  Both take around 2 hrs and cost under 20E   No complaints about either option. But I prefer train travel.

- Keep in mind that the bus and train stations (on the same block) are about a 15 minute walk from the cruise pier.  A flat easy walk on a nice day, but we arrived to a downpour and had to wait n hr for a taxi. 

- If you're transferring immediately upon arrival at VCE, flixbus is the easier option since they have several departures a day leaving directly from the airport.

-  if the bus schedule doesn't work with your flight, you can catch a train in Mestre. Mestre is about a 20 minute drive from the airport;  a taxi 40E or ATVO express bus 10Epp

I booked the train in advance because I wanted Business Class on a Frecce train so that I could select my seat and there was luggage storage.

We bought our bus tickets at the Trieste depot an hr before departure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1