Excursions - Here’s a New Low

gcornell

We booked our August cruise about 4 months ago. At that time we selected a few included excursions. I printed our list of confirmations, showing cost of zero. Yesterday, looking over other tour possibilities, we saw that most of our ‘included’ excursions now bore a fee..mostly $69-89. We will travel w our confirmation…but…is our cruise going to involve disputes w Shore Excursion desk? is SS going to try and scam additional monies? What is your experience?

The spa experience sounds pretty awful so we will avoid most services.

20 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

We booked our August cruise about 4 months ago. At that time we selected a few included excursions. I printed our list of confirmations, showing cost of zero. Yesterday, looking over other tour possibilities, we saw that most of our ‘included’ excursions now bore a fee..mostly $69-89. We will travel w our confirmation…but…is our cruise going to involve disputes w Shore Excursion desk? is SS going to try and scam additional monies? What is your experience?

The spa experience sounds pretty awful so we will avoid most services.

Same thing happened to us, and I believe it has happened to others.  We didn't have problems with Silversea honoring the previously "free" excursions for most of ours, but one of our "included" (that had been free but prior to sailing was now around $100) was canceled since there weren't enough participants.  We went to the Excursions desk upon boarding and asked to be switched to our second choice since our first had been cancelled by them.  The staff, including the manager told us sure - that will be $200.  We showed her the printouts from when we had booked our cancelled one, which showed the new one had previously also been free.  She basically said, that's too bad, now it's $200.  Silversea Excursion personnel are the WORST.  Not even an apology - it was just do you want the new excursion or not.

• Like 1

Thank you for this information. We do not look forward to spending vacation time hassling at the Shore Excursion desk. SS used to be a luxury option..sigh.

• Like 4

I think the problem with the low cost tours around $100 is that they are no longer free to those on the lowest fare with excursions not included so they have to show a price. when you book an excursion and you are on port to port or door to door fares the price disappears when you book.

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

I think the problem with the low cost tours around $100 is that they are no longer free to those on the lowest fare with excursions not included so they have to show a price. when you book an excursion and you are on port to port or door to door fares the price disappears when you book.

Even before that they always showed a price on included excursions. If you chose 2 only 1 would be included, the other would be an additional cost.