80+ seniors need info about accommodations at McKinley Chalet Resort

LM23OHIO

I have seen a map of the McKinley Chalet Resort although very hard to see detail well, even if magnified. I have see some posts that accommodation's are very far from main lodge. Trying to figure if I need to upgrade accommodations to be closer to village surroundings, restaurants and bus stops etc. All help from anyone who knows or past visitors appreciated.

Posted (edited)

There are small buses though they will not stop if they are filled. The upper (main lodge) and lower areas are connected by either a very long staircase (over 100 steps) or steep roads, or the bus. Advise trying to be near main lodge if you have mobility issues.

Edited by Wehwalt

37 minutes ago, LM23OHIO said:

I have seen a map of the McKinley Chalet Resort although very hard to see detail well, even if magnified. I have see some posts that accommodation's are very far from main lodge. Trying to figure if I need to upgrade accommodations to be closer to village surroundings, restaurants and bus stops etc. All help from anyone who knows or past visitors appreciated.

There are two groups of accommodations. The upper group is directly out the back door of the main lodge. We were just there. It may be 10 to 50 yards from your room to the main building.

The other group of rooms is down the hill and you would need to take the shuttle to the main lodge.  BUT, you could walk to Denali Square on the property, which has restaurants, shops and live music.

I suggest more research to see which set of rooms would work best for you.

Either way, Denali is beautiful!

Thank you both! From the picture someone posted it looks like the top right of the picture says Main Lodge and  buildings around it, then there is a road separation, and large clump of buildings looks like Karstens Public House. Are the cabins around the main lodge A thru K and the rest L thru Z on the back river side of Karstens?

Mobility and slow moving are an issue. 

1 hour ago, LM23OHIO said:

Thank you both! From the picture someone posted it looks like the top right of the picture says Main Lodge and  buildings around it, then there is a road separation, and large clump of buildings looks like Karstens Public House. Are the cabins around the main lodge A thru K and the rest L thru Z on the back river side of Karstens?

Yes that’s right. Would advise that all tours also depart from Main lodge. There is a steakhouse serving breakfast lunch and dinner at the main lodge plus a coffee shop with grab and go food. If you want to go down to Denali Square or the other dining at the Princess Wilderness Lodge, take shuttle for that. We just stayed up top and would ask to have it again. Also make sure you request ground floor accommodations as there are only stairs to second level of buildings up top, I believe. 

2 hours ago, LM23OHIO said:

Speaking of Kirsten’s, we enjoyed dinner there more than the steakhouse. Of course, food is subjective, your mileage may differ!

12 hours ago, LM23OHIO said:

Thank You again,  to clarify, are the L to Z buildings  to the river side of Karstens Public House part of HAL or Princess

The buildings between Karstens and the river are part of HAL's McKinley Chalet.  Princess is to the left of McKinley Chalet, as you face the front of the building.

image.png

This is the Map I'm looking at, I'm sorry, But I still can't figure out where HAL Main Lodge is.

In the Right upper corner of this picture Is a BLDG. with a 1, that says Main Lodge (viewing with a Magnifying Glass)  Below that area, across a road, is another section of buildings in the  middle section of this picture, the building that is largest and has an 11 on it,  is identified as Karstens Public House on the numbered layout. Is McKinley Chalet Resort Main Lodge near Karstens, or up in the top corner?   Would someone with knowledge of this Resort clarify  for me please.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LM23OHIO said:

image.png

This is the Map I'm looking at, I'm sorry, But I still can't figure out where HAL Main Lodge is.

In the Right upper corner of this picture Is a BLDG. with a 1, that says Main Lodge (viewing with a Magnifying Glass)  Below that area, across a road, is another section of buildings in the  middle section of this picture, the building that is largest and has an 11 on it,  is identified as Karstens Public House on the numbered layout. Is McKinley Chalet Resort Main Lodge near Karstens, or up in the top corner?   Would someone with knowledge of this Resort clarify  for me please.

On the far right of the map below is the resort Main Lodge building that contains Guest Services, shopping, and the Canyon Steakhouse.  The right side of the map is atop a very steep hill.  The Karstens Public House is one of the buildings in Denali Square nearly in the center of the map.

Here is another map since I cannot see your posted map: 

image.jpeg.f50a59b89c0a33faf9fca7061b707293.jpeg

Guest Services Desk #11

image.jpeg.fff708f97b267563605b9e956afa2543.jpeg

Grizzly Grand (snack bar) #2 about 20 feet from previous picture

image.jpeg.1461515e5f2eebf15917505476554323.jpeg

Canyon Steakhouse (just down the hallway from Grizzly Grind) #1

image.jpeg.19f4a16666a283ee41462a55fc3d04f9.jpeg

Denali Square with Karstens House in the background.

image.jpeg.bcc22e812756bbf3a97e098d2a5027bc.jpeg

Karstens House

image.jpeg.78626c5ad327dfe0e720f45b1722ca32.jpeg

Karstens House continental breakfast.

image.jpeg.97943d78116f159568239d178ddd2773.jpeg

Karstens House buffet breakfast.

image.jpeg.2f10ed5a31648cacda19547f717f7203.jpeg

Typical bus stop.

image.jpeg.41e53402ad858940bf8f7399e439b155.jpeg

Link to more Denali photos:  Denali Cruisetour Photos

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

On the far right of the map below is the resort Main Lodge building that contains Guest Services, shopping, and the Canyon Steakhouse.  The right side of the map is atop a very steep hill.  The Karstens Public House is one of the buildings in Denali Square nearly in the center of the map.

Here is another map since I cannot see your posted map: 

image.jpeg.f50a59b89c0a33faf9fca7061b707293.jpeg

Guest Services Desk #11

image.jpeg.fff708f97b267563605b9e956afa2543.jpeg

Grizzly Grand (snack bar) #2 about 20 feet from previous picture

image.jpeg.1461515e5f2eebf15917505476554323.jpeg

Canyon Steakhouse (just down the hallway from Grizzly Grind) #1

image.jpeg.19f4a16666a283ee41462a55fc3d04f9.jpeg

Denali Square with Karstens House in the background.

image.jpeg.bcc22e812756bbf3a97e098d2a5027bc.jpeg

Karstens House

image.jpeg.78626c5ad327dfe0e720f45b1722ca32.jpeg

Karstens House continental breakfast.

image.jpeg.97943d78116f159568239d178ddd2773.jpeg

Karstens House buffet breakfast.

image.jpeg.2f10ed5a31648cacda19547f717f7203.jpeg

Typical bus stop.

image.jpeg.41e53402ad858940bf8f7399e439b155.jpeg

Link to more Denali photos:  Denali Cruisetour Photos

Thank You Very Much. that is the same  picture of the property I have and your pictures helped  a lot. Reading some reviews  I couldn't figure out where the main lodge was, so I could request ground floor room close to Main  Lodge. Thanks Again

• 3 weeks later...