Request for Tips: Staying on top of impacting hurricane information

I am in the Caribbean in a few weeks and this weekend I realize I don't know an easy way to get information relevant to my cruise.

I didn't find the main hurricane site site good for understanding where damage actually occurred in port cities or to the actual ship docks.  It was good for seeing where potential storms, active storms, and potential paths exist.  But I didn't find it helpful for understanding actual impact as it relates to a cruise.

Searches by port destinations wasn't very helpful either.  There is just too much bad content on the Internet to weed through.  For Cozumel, there are reports of widespread destruction where it took a direct hit & then there are reports that the whole coastline was spared.  I didn't find any information posted on this forum too helpful either - although others seem to be trying to figure out the exact same thing.  I feel like a dock being destroyed would have appeared on web searches but I don't know for sure.

I found it funny that cruise sites don't have links directly to hurricane updates during these months.  Mine seems to be just interested in upselling.

I did a search for ship trackers & a couple of the main ones show show ships docked in different ports - so I'm assuming if a ship docked there it must not have sustained too much damage.

I feel like there is an easier way I don't know about.

5 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

I am in the Caribbean in a few weeks and this weekend I realize I don't know an easy way to get information relevant to my cruise.

I didn't find the main hurricane site site good for understanding where damage actually occurred in port cities or to the actual ship docks.  It was good for seeing where potential storms, active storms, and potential paths exist.  But I didn't find it helpful for understanding actual impact as it relates to a cruise.

Searches by port destinations wasn't very helpful either.  There is just too much bad content on the Internet to weed through.  For Cozumel, there are reports of widespread destruction where it took a direct hit & then there are reports that the whole coastline was spared.  I didn't find any information posted on this forum too helpful either - although others seem to be trying to figure out the exact same thing.  I feel like a dock being destroyed would have appeared on web searches but I don't know for sure.

I found it funny that cruise sites don't have links directly to hurricane updates during these months.  Mine seems to be just interested in upselling.

I did a search for ship trackers & a couple of the main ones show show ships docked in different ports - so I'm assuming if a ship docked there it must not have sustained too much damage.

I feel like there is an easier way I don't know about.

Perhaps something in these Cruise Critic articles will be helpful: 

Caribbean Cruise News: Hurricane Beryl Damages Caribbean Islands, Reroutes Itineraries

Hurricane Season Cruising: What You Need to Know Before You Go

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

I thought that was exactly what I needed, but sadly it isn't being updated  😕

Please note the following portions from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

"The Community Manager has overall control of everything that happens within the Community. The Community Manager oversees how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, is responsible for our Rules of Participation, what information to require from members and who to appoint as Community Hosts. You may contact the Community Manager at: community@cruisecritic.com"

"... Discussion of the management of this community is not allowed on the forums..."

"... However, we would be happy to address any concerns you have via email.   Please write to the Community Manager at:  community@cruisecritic.com..."

"... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

LauraS
Senior Manager, Community
community@cruisecritic.com ..."

Please send your email with any questions/comments/feedback to LauraS, Senior Manager, Community at community@cruisecritic.com.  Also, please send the email from your current Cruise Critic email address of record and be sure to mention your Cruise Critic user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply sent to your current Cruise Critic email address of record. If your current Cruise Critic email address of record is not correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, please click the following: How To: Update your Cruise Critic Email Address

Hope this will be helpful!