Royal Caribbean shuttle from Bologna Airport to Ravenna Port

Hi!  I hope someone can help us with more information on the shuttle Royal offers from BLQ (Bologna Airport) to Ravenna cruise port.

We had originally booked a flight to arrive in BLQ on the day of the cruise around 9:00am.  I purchased the pre-cruise transfer from Royal through my travel agent.  However, we have changed our flight to arrive in Bologna 2 days prior (as everyone recommends, especially flying in from the states).  Well, I am trying to get more information about when and where the Royal Caribbean shuttle will pick up at BLQ. I thought we would taxi back to the airport from the hotel arriving at 9:00am.  However, I am unable to get more information about when and where the shuttle will be.  I'm assuming it will be outside of the secured area after customs.  I am getting the impression that the Royal only provides the shuttle for guests arriving at the airport on the day of the cruise so I haven't told them yet about our arrival date changes.  

Is there a queue area for arrivals and we fill up a shuttle bus as we arrive? Will it be accessible if we were to be dropped off at the airport?  

Another option is we can cancel the shuttle and take the train from Bologna. I prefer the shuttle as it will be easier with luggage and take us straight to the port

TIA!

We did the train a couple of years ago.  The Bologna train station is huge with multiple levels of tracks.  The train itself was nice once we found the right platform.  The station in Ravenna is about 10 miles from the port.  You have to take a taxi or arrange a bus.

I'm sure that royal won't care when you fly in as long as you are at the scheduled pick-up time and place the morning of your cruise.

Call RC or have your ta call for details.

https://www.marconiexpress.it/en/information/the-service/

Don’t tell them your flight time has changed as in the past they have said they won’t transport you if you don’t fly in on the day. Just go back to the Arrivals hall by the scheduled time 

Otherwise take the train to Ravenna and RCI run a shuttle from Ravenna train station 🚉 to the ship for about $12pp. There are few taxis in Ravenna. 

• Like 1

Thank you!  I'm not sure why RCI is being difficult with the BLQ shuttles. It would overall be cheaper to take the train (10 euro pp) and then the shuttle from Ravenna train station, but the convenience of not dealing with luggage on the train is worth it. I believe the BLQ shuttle is about $40pp.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I'm back from our cruise and figured out the Bologna to Ravenna (and Ravenna to Venice) shuttle transfer situations.

BOLOGNA AIRPORT (BLQ) - RAVENNA:

As described in earlier posts, when we booked our transfer from BLQ to Ravenna port, RCI asked what time our flight arrived at BLQ on August 3 (day of cruise). I told them 9:25am. Later, we changed our flight to arrive two days before (luckily, we did as our connecting flight was delayed and we would have been late or even missed our arrival date). I tried to get the time that the shuttle would pick up at BLQ but could not get an answer. We decided to just wing it and took a taxi from our lodgings in the historic center to arrive around 9:25am on August 3. Our taxi dropped us off at departures and the walk to arrivals was just a short walk to the right. There we found the RCI representatives waiting with RCI signs. We approached them from the opposite direction of the arrivals, but that didn't faze them. They checked our name off their list and told us that the shuttle will leave at 10:30am. I asked if we had missed an earlier shuttle, but they said no, this was the first shuttle. I asked if 10:30am pick up was every time, and she said no, it changes based on the arrivals. She didn't speak that much English so that was the best information I could get.

I could tell that we were not the only ones who did not "arrive" that day. At 11:00am, they lead everyone to a waiting bus and off we went. There was a lot of traffic that day so it took us almost 2 hours to get to Ravenna when it could take as little as 1 hour. We arrived at the port around 12:30pm. Once there, they took our luggage off the bus and everyone just lined up and was checked in regardless of any check in time. By 1:30pm, we were in Chops (I had made lunch reservations).

So, I would suggest that when you make a shuttle reservation, but you are not arriving day of cruise, find a flight that arrives early on the day of cruise. Be prepared to give airlines, flight no, and arrival time information.  Arrive by that time and you will get on the shuttle.

I'll do another post on the Ravenna to Venice shuttle transfer.

I also have additional information on how to get from BLQ to the historic center, where and how to catch a taxi if not staying at a hotel where they can call one for you if anyone is interested (we stayed at an Airbnb in the historic city center of Bologna).

Hope this information helps! 

• Thanks 1

RAVENNA PORT TO TRONCETTO VENICE (CITY CENTER):

We purchased the shuttle transfer prior to our cruise but you are also able to purchase the transfer while on board. I believe it was $60 per person to either Tronchetto or VCE airport.

Our departure time was 7:30am. I attached the departure time schedule, and we were Tag No.11.

We opted for luggage assistance so left our bags outside of our cabin the night before by 10:00pm.

At 7:30am we departed the ship and picked up our luggage (section 11 same as tags) and went through customs. This was pretty fast and easy. Once out, we were directed to find the bus no. 11 (same as tags). I think there were 2 or 3 buses with no. 11. Bags were loaded on and we departed. We arrived at Tronchetto by 10:40 am, so whole process took a little over 3 hours.  The buses themselves were comfortable enough with air conditioning.

From Tronchetto, you can catch the "people mover" (which will take you to Piazza Roma I believe), catch a vaporetto water bus (Alilaguna), or a private water taxi. The train station is also a 5-minute walk from Tronchetto. RCI representatives when you leave the bus can point you in the right direction.

RCI Explorer departure times.pdf

On 7/10/2024 at 1:35 AM, little britain said:

https://www.marconiexpress.it/en/information/the-service/

Don’t tell them your flight time has changed as in the past they have said they won’t transport you if you don’t fly in on the day. Just go back to the Arrivals hall by the scheduled time 

Otherwise take the train to Ravenna and RCI run a shuttle from Ravenna train station 🚉 to the ship for about $12pp. There are few taxis in Ravenna. 

How do you book the Ravenna to pier shuttle?

12 minutes ago, artvlay said:

I believe you just turn up at Ravenna train station and are directed to the bus and they take payment ( or charge it up your room). Have never done it. 

On 8/19/2024 at 10:22 AM, artvlay said:

FYI, public bus 90 leaves from directly in front of the Ravenna train station and takes 20 minutes to Porto Corsini (dropping you right at the terminal entrance).  It's EUR 1.50 and the on board readers will take any tap to pay physical Visa or Mastercard.  They will also work with Apple Pay/Google Pay/Samsung Pay with a linked Mastercard (for some reason the "virtual" Visa used in these apps is not recognized).  It leaves every hour on the half (at XX:30).

As a side note, arriving in Ravenna a day or two early is really worth it.  The city is lovely with a quaint historic center offering lots of shops and restaurants (and not yet totally overrun with tourists).  There are also 8 UNESCO heritage sights in the city, including the not to be missed mosaics at Basilica of San Vitale.  The locals are all very nice and happy to help should you get lost or need directions somewhere.  

15 minutes ago, ocdb8r said:

FYI, public bus 90 leaves from directly in front of the Ravenna train station and takes 20 minutes to Porto Corsini (dropping you right at the terminal entrance).  It's EUR 1.50 and the on board readers will take any tap to pay physical Visa or Mastercard.  They will also work with Apple Pay/Google Pay/Samsung Pay with a linked Mastercard (for some reason the "virtual" Visa used in these apps is not recognized).  It leaves every hour on the half (at XX:30).

As a side note, arriving in Ravenna a day or two early is really worth it.  The city is lovely with a quaint historic center offering lots of shops and restaurants (and not yet totally overrun with tourists).  There are also 8 UNESCO heritage sights in the city, including the not to be missed mosaics at Basilica of San Vitale.  The locals are all very nice and happy to help should you get lost or need directions somewhere.  

This is great information, thank you.

Is the bus clearly marked to Porto Corsini? And, do you put luggage underneath or schlep it onto the bus?

24 minutes ago, artvlay said:

This is great information, thank you.

Is the bus clearly marked to Porto Corsini? And, do you put luggage underneath or schlep it onto the bus?

It's a regular public bus, so you'll need to schlep your luggage on.  There are a couple of stops out front, with clear markings as to which busses stop where.  There's also a START Romagna office (the is the local bus operator) where you can ask for help/directions and buy traditional tickets if you want.

For the #90, you want to exit the terminal and take a right.  The bus stop for the 90 is just 100 yards down in front of the Hotel Minerva (nice as this area is more shaded than the stops right in the drop off/pick up lane for the train station).