90 minutes of Wi-Fi for Elite?

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

We were instructed to disable our VPNs in order to not interfere with Starlink.

Terrible advice for any passenger doing anything much more than casual web browsing.  Starlink is perfectly happy with OpenVPN protocol, for example.

2 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

We were instructed to disable our VPNs in order to not interfere with Starlink.

I have had to disable my VPN to do the initial connection and registration with the ship's captive portal but once past that step, I could re-enable the VPN and everything was good.  

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have had to disable my VPN to do the initial connection and registration with the ship's captive portal but once past that step, I could re-enable the VPN and everything was good.  

Interesting.  Had a similar experience aboard Silversea.  If I left my VPN enabled when making a connection to the ship's internal internet, I wound up on with some Dutch tech support debug page.  Otherwise, I could leave the VPN running all the time.

I suspect Celebrity and others really want VPNs blocked or unused so as to lower the streaming bandwidth used.  Once a VPN is up, they don't have the ability to look at packets and port usage to guess what you're using the network for, and they all definitely do port blocking to inhibit certain uses.

Edited by canderson
something save it before I was done!

5 hours ago, lovedecruise said:

I know Elite members get 30% off Wifi packages.  Do they also get 30% off the daily or hourly rate of internet use?

The discount only applies to the full sailing. To have them discount wifi by 30% by the day or hour woukd be too much to ask.  Nothing but greed on their part. 

9 hours ago, Kiwifruit said:

How were you able to transfer the minutes? Last time I was on Celebrity my free minutes were lost from my account the moment I signed up for unlimited wifi package.

Went to the wifi desk, not Guest Relations, and he was able to transfer the 90 minutes from my wife’s account to mine as I did not sign up for the unlimited package on my account. 

On 7/11/2024 at 5:54 PM, hcat said:

one must  create the acct.. folks at the computer area are very helpful if needed!

Last cruise the very helpful IT guy also made me a little icon for the "onboardicafe" or whatever it is called...it was so easy to sign out after using.

• 3 weeks later...

I am Elite due to Royal status match. I do not see anything about free internet minutes. Are they only for cruisers who have enough points for Elite status?  TIA! 

10 minutes ago, denni said:

I am Elite due to Royal status match. I do not see anything about free internet minutes. Are they only for cruisers who have enough points for Elite status?  TIA! 

Yes 90 free wifi minutes for Elite status.  All the Elite benefits are listed on the Celebrity web site. 

52 minutes ago, denni said:

As other have said, yes you get this from your Elite status. 

Remember, it works differently on Celebrity than it does on Royal Caribbean.  On Celebrity you log in to your account, connect to the internet, do you buisness and log out.  Once you log out the clock stops so if you spent 15 minutes on-line, then you have 75 minutes of time reaminging.  You do not have to use it all in the same 24-hour time frame.  

What most experienced people do is connect to WiFi, log into their account, turn on email, download all their new messages, and then log out.  Read and respond to messages off line, then log back on and send any responses and get new mail, then log off again.  

5 hours ago, denni said:

Thank you. I have attached what I'm seeing on their website. It doesn't mention free minutes. 

Elite Benefits.JPG

5 hours ago, denni said:

Thank you. I have attached what I'm seeing on their website. It doesn't mention free minutes. 

Elite Benefits.JPG

We share one package, prepare messages off line, login send/download messages, log out and repeat. Once the first lot of time has been used you will be able to tell if the second lot will last the remainder of the cruise. If not use the second lot as a discount on the full package (even on a 14 night cruise we have never needed to do this). Diamond + /Elite+ get 240 free minutes each. All free minutes are at premium speed.

9 hours ago, IDL said:

Yes 90 free wifi minutes for Elite status.  All the Elite benefits are listed on the Celebrity web site. 

ELITE plus gets 240 minutes. Its ok for shorter cruises plus the free wifi I get in ports visited is enough to get by.  No way will I pay for wifi. 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

ELITE plus gets 240 minutes. Its ok for shorter cruises plus the free wifi I get in ports visited is enough to get by.  No way will I pay for wifi. 

I don't factor the price of the wifi when I look price of the 2 perk package , as wifi really isn’t worth much to us, except on the final day if we want to checkin to the airline 😁

I miss the old “ good, Better best “ perks where you got to pick what you wanted 

40 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I don't factor the price of the wifi when I look price of the 2 perk package , as wifi really isn’t worth much to us, except on the final day if we want to checkin to the airline 😁

I miss the old “ good, Better best “ perks where you got to pick what you wanted 

Yeah they're constantly changing the perks. As of now I just book cruise only fares as no deals on the all included. Fortunately I have received good prices on my 3 upcoming cruises.  Can't even do a category upgrade now as almost double what I paid. 

• Like 1