OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE JULY

7 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

I would adore good southern cooking so bland will not work for us.

Good grits is where it starts😆

Amen! 

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

The best part is that you're in YC so if it's not crispy enough or not floppy enough or not 'whatever' enough, they'll make it to order for you!

This is so true.  Especially when you ask for a double or triple portion of meat with your Eggs Benedict. 

I actually like English Back Bacon.  My cardiologist would prefer that I not eat any bacon but says this is better than traditional American bacon for some unknown reason. 

31 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Grits are not bland.  I love topping them with eggs over easy and crumbling bits of bacon in them.

Having no experience with grits...I just did a Google search.  It seems my gastroenterologist would approve....so I'll give them a try. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is another observation.

There is a case to be made for booking cabins with balconies large enough to accommodate at least one reclining lounger (preferably cushioned for long hours). Having spent 50 years traveling on inside cabins and spending time searching the decks for an available non hogged lounge chair, we early on just brought our own collapsable beach chair that fit in our suitcase. One does extraordinary things to keep the prices of a cruise below $100 pp pd. But today, although the fares for these cabins are still the same low prices, the cruise lines have cut all the other perks, food, and services we past passengers have come to expect. With the popularity of cruising at an all time high the cruise lines have been able to do this.

Just like port cities around the world, coming to the realization that these $100 pp pd cruisers are not the spending types and spend very little in their fair cities, they are curbing the mega ships with the "cheaper seats". Cruise lines have also discovered that their non suite Pinnacles, Zeniths, Diamond passengers don't spend a lot on board either. So rewarding these lest profitable guests is being phased out on all cruise lines. In order for passengers to book specialty restaurants the main dining rooms are preparing meals as cheaply as possible (powdered eggs, etc).

Edited by morpheusofthesea

30 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Nothing is good in moderation. You cannot know good in anything until you have torn the heart out of it by excess."

Said by a man who would go on to die penniless, in the infamous Parisian fleabag, Hotel d'Alsace.

I prefer the more Socratic, Aristotelian, and Platonic: "The secret to carrying on, is not getting carried away." 🙂

3 hours ago, no1talks said:

...or towels. 🧺

Towels.thumb.png.9fcad3cce965ef9d0b4c064b8373ae22.png

Someone likes them some towels!

Good idea because upholstery cannot exactly be sterilized! Now my stolen practice!

Butler sir......25 beach beach towels please!

7 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I was thinking the same thing. Booked Sept 14, 2024 Seascape. (Can't get enough cowbell).

You  will be getting off just as we board, unless you are doing a B2B 

27 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

Someone likes them some towels!

Good idea because upholstery cannot exactly be sterilized! Now my stolen practice!

Butler sir......25 beach beach towels please!

@no1talks We always ask our assistant butler/stateroom attendant for sheets to cover the couch. 

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@no1talks We always ask our assistant butler/stateroom attendant for sheets to cover the couch. 

I have been doing the same for years. Most of the time they cover couch & chair for me. A few times they just left sheets. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, no1talks said:

Said by a man who would go on to die penniless, in the infamous Parisian fleabag, Hotel d'Alsace.

I prefer the more Socratic, Aristotelian, and Platonic: "The secret to carrying on, is not getting carried away." 🙂

Your examples do no justice to your cause. These gentleman all got "carried away".

"The death of Socrates in 399 BCE, as reported by Plato in the Phaedo, is usually attributed to poisoning with common hemlock."

"Anti-Macedonian sentiment again forced Aristotle to flee Athens. He died a little north of the city in 322, of a digestive complaint."

"According to Diogenes Laertius, author of another history of Greek philosophy entitled Lives of Eminent Philosophers (3rd century AD), Plato died either at a wedding feast (probably over indulging ?), or, alternatively, because of lice ."

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

You  will be getting off just as we board, unless you are doing a B2B 

Sorry, we can not handle the Yacht Club hedonism for more than 7 days. I find as we age it is harder and harder to lose the weight gained in 7 days of cruising in the YC.  We give it at least 3 weeks between YC cruises to 'refresh'.

P.S. I just noticed DW has us booked for two weeks Christmas and New Years. Oh, woe with me.

P.P.S. The truth of the matter is I gave into PRICE. We can travel in the Yacht Club for 1/4 the price as it would cost us to book a similar cabin for 2 weeks on Explora Journeys same dates.

ps
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Sorry, we can not handle the Yacht Club hedonism for more than 7 days. I find as we age it is harder and harder to lose the weight gained in 7 days of cruising in the YC. 

At the cost of airline tickets these days, I want to get my money's worth when I fly so 7-days seldom works for me.  We typically try for 10 or more days or do a B2B, which is the case on our Seascape cruise next month. 

As for the weight.  I have not solved that issue either.  I need to drop a few pounds in advance of the cruise so I am not running around the YC in sweat pants which might be the only thing that fits after the first week in the YC.  I have gotten much better at skipping also those dessert offerings they have out in the lounge but the potato chips I still find very difficult to pass up.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

At the cost of airline tickets these days, I want to get my money's worth when I fly so 7-days seldom works for me.  We typically try for 10 or more days or do a B2B,

Most understandable. When we were younger and during summer break, before MSC we would do the same thing. Fly to Beijing ( Ni hao) 3-4 day pre cruise take the cruise B2B2B down to Australia (6 weeks) and post in Sydney (Opera House Madame Butterfly) and fly 28 hours home. Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end....