Has anyone had a similar experience?

bunduo

This weekend, my wife and I were reminiscing about our first cruise. After 9/11, we decided we were going live it up while we still could so we booked a cruise on the brand new NCL Sun. We had never cruised before so this was going to be an adventure. The cruise was on March 9, 2002. Security was tight everywhere.

We arrive at the Port of Miami, manage to drop off our bags with the correct porters. We walk into the terminal, past all the lines, and onto the ship. The only NCL representative we encountered was the person handing out the key cards. We gave them our name, got our cards and boarded the ship. After we got into our cabin, we were impressed on how easy it was to board. I know, we are idiots, but it did not dawn on us that we did anything wrong.

We had lunch, checked out the ship, wondered aloud why we hadn't cruised before, really enjoyed ourselves during the sail away, then consumed huge amounts of food at dinner. Only after dinner did things start getting weird. We tried to get into our cabin but the key wouldn't work. We went down and reported our troubles to guest services. When they brought our names up, the women's faced scrunched up, she then tapped on the keyboard about a hundred times, then went and got her supervisor. The whole time she keeps looking up at us with this strange look on her face. The supervisor comes out, her face scrunches up, shrugs, swipes or card through her machine and off we go without explanation.

The next day, my wife tries to buy a water wallet but her key card keeps getting denied. Back we go to guest services. Again, the girl's face scrunches up. She asks for our credit card. She says that the system, for some reason, did not have our credit card number. She puts it in and off we go. Keep in mind that this was our first cruise so we had no idea if this was normal or not but we were starting to put two and two together.

The next day, we try to debark at the first port. When we tried to get off the ship, the system would not allow it. Security directed us to guest services. Finally, the person at guest services filled us in. We bypassed check-in and, according to their records, we were not on the ship. (This is absolutely true. Everyone is going to reply that it couldn't have happened and I probably would think the same thing but it's true.) We had to go back to our cabin, get our documents and get checked in.

When we got our final bill, we only had 4 days worth of gratuities. Off we went to guest services, which on the final day is quite popular, to have them add the days they missed.

This weekend, we were laughing about how blissfully ignorant we were and shocked that it would be that easy to board a ship during a time when everyone was freaking out about security. I don't know if we could do it if we tried to do it on purpose. Has anyone else ever done this?

As for embarkation< I have never even after about 20 cruises found it all that easy; I am surprised. Fast, yes, usually, not certainly not all that easy. It is much like checking in at the airport. We have always had to show correct ID, they make certain it matches with their records, we give them our CC then they print our keys. I don't understand why it was so easy for you? NMNita

WOW that is quite a story. What a memory making experience. I can imagine how that can happen, because the table where you pick up your key cards is often quite a distance from the check in counters.

Since the ship swipes your key card when you first board the ship, how did they not notice that you didn't have a photo associated with your card?

The photos are taken at the check in counter where you set up your online account.

WOW that is quite a story. What a memory making experience. I can imagine how that can happen, because the table where you pick up your key cards is often quite a distance from the check in counters.

Since the ship swipes your key card when you first board the ship, how did they not notice that you didn't have a photo associated with your card?

The photos are taken at the check in counter where you set up your online account.

My question is the same as Marlyn's. I can see Part one happening (picking up the room key) but when they swipe you on board, they do look to see if you match the photo in the computer. You would think that they would notice a "no photo" situation. The photos are done when you check in.

Very odd.

Ah ha I just re-read you post and saw the date. You did this before they had photos in the computer system. Now what happened to you WOULD really be impossible - since your photo would have to be in the computer system in order for you to board. No check in, no photo, no boarding.

OOOPs double post

This reminds me of something funny that happened on our first cruise. We waited in line, got our pictures taken, got our cards, and walked on the ship.

The first port day, my DH went through the check-out point on the ship prior to disembarking. The staff member scanning the card gave him a very funny look, and showed my DH the photo that was associated with his card. It was a very distinguished looking black gentlemen -- my DH is white. Somehow the computer had glitched, and linked someone else's photo to my husband's card. They retook the photo so there wouldn't be problems the rest of the week, after having him show his drivers license to prove that he was the his name and picture on the drivers license matched the name on the key card.

This cruise was, in fact, before they had attached photos to the key card. We got our key card and proceeded on board. After proceeding up the gangway, there was an NCL rep checking people in with a laptop. He took our card, activated it and gave it back. No photo was taken. Does anyone else remember the laptop check-in procedure?

My theory on the deactivation of the card is that by the time we returned from dinner, the ship had set sail and they deactivated any room card for any guest that didn't go through check in. They just assumed we weren't on the ship. We were officially stowaways for the first 3 days. :)

This reminds me of my experience with American Air Lines a month after 9/11. Mind you we considered canceling our trip but we felt that security would be tops after what had just happened. We were boarding an American Air Lines plane flying out of Miami to Boston after a cruise, my boarding pass was not being excepted for boarding. After several tries the gate person called a supervisor, but the supervisor dismissed the problem and allowed me to board. When I got to my assigned seat, to my surprise I found a woman in it, I said to her "you are in my seat", She replied "no I'm not" in a Spanish accent, to my amazement she pulled out her boarding pass and guess what? She was holding boarding pass with my name on it and I was holding a boarding pass that also had my name on it. I was stunned to see my name on her boarding pass instead of hers. I called over an air line steward and he left with her after I showed him my passport. I don't know what happened to her after that. The bottom line is that she was allowed to board the plane with my boarding pass, I'm pretty sure she didn't have any ID to verify that she was me [well maybe she did] besides she was short and dark and I'm tall and blond. On returning home I called American Air Lines to show my displeasure in the incident and the American Air Lines supervisor said "I'm sorry Mrs. C but mistakes do happen". My reply was "yes I know you just had a BIG one happen on 9/11".

The last two times my wife and I sailed NCL it was interesting.

Out of Houston: I arrive at the port via family transport (Mill's sis lives there)

I get into my wheelchair and we progress to the lines: we are in the Owner's Suite. They try and push me (nice) to the handicapped area but I state: see that sign "Owners Suite, etc."Realize I use the wheelchair only for such as this event, I ambulate well with a cane. So, both times: We are checked in in ten seconds, some NCL dude pushes me up and around the security area. I have a backpack on my lap, etc. Once they also allowed my wife around and onto the shop without security. Guess what my wife was checked in, they thought she was an employee of the Port and asked her to depart. That took a few seconds. Not exciting but: a uniformed security guy took my cane that was sticking up from the wheelchair and then had it x-rayed, scanned, whatever they do. You know the "sword canes" common in Victorian England?

Still I was the first person on the liner, each time.

And every time I reboard from an excursion they scanned the cane.

Oh, the other cruise lines actually check my gear but not the wheelchair: the US Secret Service actually checks the entire chair and has an officer, lift me up so they can check the cushion. They also do a few other checks. I am grateful and wish that those contract security folks did their jobs.

Joe

PS

I am politically active so I get to see, met Presidential canidates (?sp), when thew pass through Southern Colorado.

It happens more often than most people know (or want to admit), but people get onto airplanes even when the system says they have not. And when the system fails to scan or check you onto the plane, they will then assign somebody else to that seat. In this situation, they will figure out they have a problem. But when the seat does not get reassigned, the passenger flies even though all the "systems" say he is not there.

Cruise ships and hotels have less problems because of the room keys. As this couple found out, that little card keeps going back to the main computers to allow you into the room, or in the case of these folks, NOT allow them in to the room. The old days of metal keys were different of course.

I was wondering that if you didn't purchase anything and never got off the ship would you have gotten a free cruise.
No, because cruises are paid far in advance and there are no refunds after the day of sailing. But it would be great if that were true! I'd try to stow away every chance I got. :D

Archived