Sofitel vs Avra (Rafina) hotel for night before Athens departure 

We have an early flight out of Athens the morning after we disembark in February so we want to stay near the airport. We’ll probably need to be at the airport by 5:00 AM. I’m trying to decide between these two options. One is to stay at the Sofitel hotel right at the airport. The other is to stay at the Avra in Rafina as they have an hourly airport shuttle stating at 3:00 AM. Has anyone used these hotels? Any experiences or recommendations you can share? Thanks!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Aquaticdreams said:

We have an early flight out of Athens the morning after we disembark in February so we want to stay near the airport. We’ll probably need to be at the airport by 5:00 AM. I’m trying to decide between these two options. One is to stay at the Sofitel hotel right at the airport. The other is to stay at the Avra in Rafina as they have an hourly airport shuttle stating at 3:00 AM. Has anyone used these hotels? Any experiences or recommendations you can share? Thanks!

We have stayed at the Sofitel when we have had a late flight in and an early morning flight out.  I would not stay there if I had a whole day in the area,  Rafina is a nice village with good beaches (not in February) and not much to do otherwise. It is a reasonable alternative  It would be best to stay in Athens and book a transfer to the airport.

Edited by marazul

Thanks. We’re reconsidering. Any suggestions for where to stay? We would want to walk around a quaint area with shops and restaurants and maybe see the Acropolis. From my research so far Plaka seems to be the best area. Is that recommended? If so any hotel suggestions? Also we would not want to take public transportation in the middle of the night with luggage. Any recommendations for transport to the airport at 4:00 AM?

36 minutes ago, Aquaticdreams said:

Thanks. We’re reconsidering. Any suggestions for where to stay? We would want to walk around a quaint area with shops and restaurants and maybe see the Acropolis. From my research so far Plaka seems to be the best area. Is that recommended? If so any hotel suggestions? Also we would not want to take public transportation in the middle of the night with luggage. Any recommendations for transport to the airport at 4:00 AM?

We always use George’s Taxi. It is about 45 minutes or so to the airport from the Plaka area. We always splarge and stay at the Grande Bretagne, but that is a real splurge. 

4 minutes ago, zqvol said:

We always use George’s Taxi. It is about 45 minutes or so to the airport from the Plaka area.

Thanks. Have you used George’s to go from the hotel to the airport? The website says they only go from the airport to the hotel. 

Posted (edited)

@Aquaticdreams

We have also used George's many times over the years. Yes, they will take you from the hotel to the airport, or from any point to any other point. Contact them through their website.

Edited by marazul

9 hours ago, Aquaticdreams said:

Thanks. Have you used George’s to go from the hotel to the airport? The website says they only go from the airport to the hotel. 

Yes but it was 6 or 8 years ago. Things may have changed. 

3 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Yes but it was 6 or 8 years ago. Things may have changed. 

Interesting.  Just checked their website and things appear to have changed. We last used them less than two years ago.

In any case, the hotel will book you a taxi or other transfer. Many offer this option when you reserve the room.  We like the Hotel Hera.