Uncomfortable experience with sommelier

19 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

A sommelier who is supposed to be trained on how to describe however many wines on Celebrity Ships has a language barrier?  What an interesting concept. 

While speaking to a "sommelier" on Celebrity ask them what their former position was. Interesting answers as Celebrity promotes from within.

• Like 1

I had an experience in 2019 with an Azamara sommelier that was different but also very uncomfortable.  I stopped drinking the prior year because of a breast cancer diagnosis.  I signed up for the Chef's Table as a solo traveler, and at the time I signed up, I requested non-alcoholic wine be served with the courses.  When I arrived at the event, I spoke with the sommelier privately to confirm he had received my request.  He said he had not, and I thought I detected a bit of an attitude, but I simply requested non-alcoholic wine again.  During dinner, another guest made a comment to me about how good the red wine tasted.  I just politely agreed with him (not wanting to discuss my personal medical situation and decision not to drink with strangers).  The sommelier overheard our conversation, and he LOUDLY declared to the entire table, "She doesn't drink!  She's drinking non-alcoholic wine".  I was taken aback and felt very angry.  It was not his place to share my personal business with everyone in attendance.

I did not complain at the time, and I regret that decision.  (I was also feeling very vulnerable and concerned about further inappropriate responses.)  The situation is still an unpleasant memory that casts a shadow over that cruise.  I wish I had reported him.  There are future passengers who might have been spared his inappropriate behavior if I had said something.

It is certainly everyone's individual right to decide whether or not to make a complaint, and I sincerely understand and sympathize with reluctance to do so.  I'd just encourage the OP to consider all of the options and think about the possible regrets around a lost opportunity.  

I am so sorry that you had this experience, and I hope some of the insensitive responses on this forum have not further upset you.  Your feelings are valid and what happened to you is not OK.

• Like 4

So, the OP had a problem with an unprofessional, insensitive crew member. Rather than doing what would make sense - raising the issue with management on board as soon as possible- (s)he sulks on an internet forum looking for sympathy. Sorry, but that achieves nothing. The only people who can act upon this issue and address failures in service and training are the relevant managers on board. Especially if the complainant is still on board as well.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, temerarious said:

I had an experience in 2019 with an Azamara sommelier that was different but also very uncomfortable.  I stopped drinking the prior year because of a breast cancer diagnosis.  I signed up for the Chef's Table as a solo traveler, and at the time I signed up, I requested non-alcoholic wine be served with the courses.  When I arrived at the event, I spoke with the sommelier privately to confirm he had received my request.  He said he had not, and I thought I detected a bit of an attitude, but I simply requested non-alcoholic wine again.  During dinner, another guest made a comment to me about how good the red wine tasted.  I just politely agreed with him (not wanting to discuss my personal medical situation and decision not to drink with strangers).  The sommelier overheard our conversation, and he LOUDLY declared to the entire table, "She doesn't drink!  She's drinking non-alcoholic wine".  I was taken aback and felt very angry.  It was not his place to share my personal business with everyone in attendance.

I did not complain at the time, and I regret that decision.  (I was also feeling very vulnerable and concerned about further inappropriate responses.)  The situation is still an unpleasant memory that casts a shadow over that cruise.  I wish I had reported him.  There are future passengers who might have been spared his inappropriate behavior if I had said something.

It is certainly everyone's individual right to decide whether or not to make a complaint, and I sincerely understand and sympathize with reluctance to do so.  I'd just encourage the OP to consider all of the options and think about the possible regrets around a lost opportunity.  

I am so sorry that you had this experience, and I hope some of the insensitive responses on this forum have not further upset you.  Your feelings are valid and what happened to you is not OK.

wow!  some people are clods and not well trained!

Thank you for posting.. We are a pink ribbon family!

shopping.webp

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, buchhalm said:

So, the OP had a problem with an unprofessional, insensitive crew member. Rather than doing what would make sense - raising the issue with management on board as soon as possible- (s)he sulks on an internet forum looking for sympathy. Sorry, but that achieves nothing. The only people who can act upon this issue and address failures in service and training are the relevant managers on board. Especially if the complainant is still on board as well.

Or maybe just perhaps he/she thought that by sharing the experience with others, who may be in the same situation, they could be better prepared themselves if they plan to do this venue.  Not everything is sinister.

• Like 5