3/23 Sensation Cruise NOT Sensational

sugarstick

After going online to some of the local reports, I realized why they are calling the Sensation a "New" Ship. She is NEW to Port Canavaral. An earlier story said Port Canavarel is getting a "New" Ship.

She is certainly not a "NEW" ship, but she is new to Port Canavarel. But, they better not get used to her, because she is coming home to New Orleans in October.

Yes but they are replacing her with a newer ship in the Elation that entered service in the late 90's. A good swap if you ask me.

It's been a long time since I've been to Port Canaveral, sixteen years or so, but there was a nice little burger stand with picnic tables outside where you could sit and watch the ship while waiting to board. Boarding was a lot easier back then too though I bet.

I can't imagine not being able to leave and get something to eat; they had to know that the ship couldn't just load up and leave within two or three hours of begining to board.

As for diapers; given that you are told up front you may not have your luggage until midnight or later so there's no excuse to not have all that you may need with you.

We must have been posting at same time! :)

"Hmmmmmmmm 87 posts, and how many were double posted like this one????"

Well, why don't you check? It's only this one, an error related to slowness - so sorry. I just thought that a first time poster trolling for others looking to blame CCL for their terrible cruise was noteworthy. Silly me.

Question: Is there a schedule for these dry docks or do they do it when work is needed??? Is seems like it can't be random or else the people on those scheduled cruises would be out there vacation. If there is a schedule, where can you find it?

The cruise lines will usually tell you when the ship is going into dry dock if it is for regularly scheduled maintenance. Emergency repairs is a different story. Also the only time that one needs to avoid booking after a dry dock is if it going to be a major overhaul which is the case with the Sensation. Most dry docks only last a week or two and the ships are sent back into service with no problems.

A good TA or PVP would/should steer folks away from booking the first couple of cruises after a major dry dock. Unfortunately there are some that do not and this is the result. First time cruisers would have no idea about the problems that can arise from something like this and my bet is the Sensation had a lot of first time cruisers on board. I just hope that they don't give up on cruising and give it another try.

First time cruisers would have no idea about the problems that can arise from something like this and my bet is the Sensation had a lot of first time cruisers on board. I just hope that they don't give up on cruising and give it another try.

The experienced cruisers were the ones that walked right past the TV cameras with nothing to say. ;)

We must have been posting at same time! :)

LovECruiseS,

Yes, I bet we were.

For some reason the board is extra slow this evening. I click on reply and wait forever for the page to load and then again after replying to see if it went through.

The delay does give me time to grab a quick bite to eat and surf the net a little while waiting. ;) If not for that, I'd demand a refund from Cruise Critic! :eek: :D

Why does it matter how many times somebody posts? Maybe some of us like to read the comments, but don't feel we have anything to add. I could easily have a million posts, if I posted a reply with how many posts the poster had before me LOL....

Come on people, let's not be petty....we don't all have great cruise experiences the first time. I didn't but am willing to give it another shot.

I agree to some degree, not all of us have a ton of money to cruise with and frankly a large chunk of the excitement is planning and the anticipation... when you get there and things aren't as you read of imagined - your bubble gets burst really fast...

Aren't all going on vacation to get away from reality and not get confronted with the cold hard truth of the travel industry before our trip has already begun..

As for asking for a credit, I can understand why - it seems each of you don't mind asking for a credit when the price drops, why not ask for one when your trip starts out this poorly??

As I think about it more;

• I can't imagine staying on board any ship that kicked my sibling off in a foreign port. Why'd she do that?
  • The guy that didn't get aspirin after being struck in the head; well that's good. Giving anyone with a potential head injury aspirin is contrary to all covenants of proper medical care. That shouldn't happen at any ER or infirmary in the world.
  • The elevator was obviously out of service, but didn't have a sign? That's a problem? If he could see that it was obviously out of service then a sign would have been a bit of an insult to his intelligence.....or not as seems to be the case.

• The elevator was obviously out of service, but didn't have a sign? That's a problem? If he could see that it was obviously out of service then a sign would have been a bit of an insult to his intelligence.....or not as seems to be the case.

Maybe he is related to Bill Engvall. :D

Maybe he is related to Bill Engvall. :D

LMAO, that's who I was thinking of. :D

Can't you just see the poor fella getting on the crooked elevator and punching buttons and not going anywhere? I wonder how much time he spent trying to get that elevator to elevate him? :eek: :D

Ok, seriously off topic, but it has to do with insulting ones intelligence. The other day I started my Spring Cleaning. I bought those blue tablets you put in the toilet tank to turn the water blue. On the back of the package it says "Safe to use around pets and children, although it is not recommended that either be permitted to drink from the toilet." I had me a little chuckle reading that one! :)

LMAO, that's who I was thinking of. :D

Can't you just see the poor fella getting on the crooked elevator and punching buttons and not going anywhere? I wonder how much time he spent trying to get that elevator to elevate him? :eek: :D

LOL, actually I was picturing him seeing the elevator half way up the open door and asking someone "Is that elevator broken".

To which the someone replies, "No that is a half height elevator for munchkins ... here's your sign". :D

LOL, actually I was picturing him seeing the elevator half way up the open door and asking someone "Is that elevator broken".

To which the someone replies, "No that is a half height elevator for munchkins ... here's your sign". :D

LOL, yeah and he'd have been mad at them for calling them munchkins instead of 'vertically challenged.' :eek: :D

JerseyGirl97,

I like the warning above mens room urinals that says 'Do not eat the big white ment!' Haven't seen it but heard it on the movie Roadhouse.

Ya just know that someone has had to try the blue water for them to make them safe for kids and dogs.

I wonder what made that 'plume' water the girl on TV referred to? And what the H%$# is 'plume' water anyway?

JerseyGirl97,

I like the warning above mens room urinals that says 'Do not eat the big white ment!' Haven't seen it but heard it on the movie Roadhouse.

Ya just know that someone has had to try the blue water for them to make them safe for kids and dogs.

You know someone probably drank the blue water and tried to sue or something!!!

I love it how my bottle of Clearasil says "for external use only". :eek: I mean, why??? Why is that there????

Well I saw News coverage of them returning and Heard 6 Guests complaining that when they ran the Water that rust was coming out of the Faucets, (This would be caused by not using faucets for a long period of time) Which in case would leave rust pebbles in the screen creating another problem with clogging.

While they interviewed passengers getting off her most people I saw where giving thumbs down and saying Carnival Sucks.

I guess they Didn't read these Boards hearing people say not a good idea to cruise the first Sail after Drydock.

OK, I gotta ask. If rust coming from the pipes mean that no water was running through them in a long time, how long? Does that mean that people in NO didn't bath while living on board? Pee-U (This is not meant to be taken seriously. I am sure there is a reason this happened.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't agree with every post that is posted here on this board, and I have learned alot from the good, the bad and the ugly. Thing is, it is a message board and people should be able to share all views without getting torched. Heck, I'll probably get torched for saying this, but I am really good at putting the things I think are petty, personal, or that I just don't agree with on ignore. I love this board, but also remember that it takes all kinds to make the world go round.:D ,

On the lighter side, I saw a great business opportunity here. Say somebody did leave and take a cab to McDonalds, bought a hundred or so hambergers and brought them back to the dock... Could have made a killing... (This is also meant to be a teaser)

We leave on the very ship in less than six weeks. I look forward to future reviews, no matter how they are expressed.

Yes but they are replacing her with a newer ship in the Elation that entered service in the late 90's. A good swap if you ask me.

Am taking my first cruise in June on the Sensation, would you say that she is substandard as far as crusie ships go? I know she is not new, would she be on the bottom of the pecking order?:(

I am going to try to answer all your questions in one post (drum roll please...)

1) This is my 18th cruise. First one on Carnival. I have been reading these boards for years and have appreciated the helpful tips i have received. I was trying to do the same for you, sorry.

2) Patrice1 - I hope you never have to face the reality we did. We were NOT allowed to leave the terminal. We asked to leave and we were told if we did leave we would not be allowed to return. We sat on the floor because no chairs were provided. We were given no food,and finally water was provided after 5 hours. My daughter was bruised from being trampled in an attempt to get one of those bottles of water. Sandwiches were brought in after 7 hours for diabetics and children first. Two hours later sandwiches were provided for the rest of us. As far as the diapers, we were guaranteed our luggage by 8:00pm.

3) We were not allowed to use our cell phone or cameras while in the terminal. We were supervised by security at all times. While trying to call my parents I was approached by security and told to disconnect immediately or my phone would be confiscated. The pictures I took of the mayhem were asked to be deleted by security although I didn't.

4) Once on board at 11:00pm we were charged gratuity for the whole day. They were out of food on the pool deck already, there was no toilet paper in the bathrooms, there was no shampoo or soap in the rooms (it was not delivered until two days later), The carpet in our cabin was wet, and many areas of the ship were under construction (Golf, Pool bar, Water-slide, bar stools were broken, rusty water coming out of sink, etc.)

5) The weather was fine. We did not arrive in port on time due to time constraints. Many people missed their shore excursions. We saw the people who were thrown off the ship in Nassau. We were told to have no communication with them or we would be thrown off ourselves.

6) We did complain the first night but were told to take it up with corporate. After the stories we heard we were afriad to complain anymore while on board.

7) I appreciate all of your responses. However, I would like to hear the perceptions of fellow passengers from the Sensation on 3/23.

7) I appreciate all of your responses. However, I would like to hear the perceptions of fellow passengers from the Sensation on 3/23.

sugarstick,

Certainly doesn't sound like you treated in a legal manner or a humane manner for that matter.

You weren't even allowed to use your cell phone? Security would have to have their guns drawn and be aiming at them to me to get me to terminate a cell phone call and I'm not big on talking on my cell phone. I am big on my rights though and that wouldn't fly.

Any or all gratuities can be removed at the descretion of the cruiser by visiting the pursors desk; I know that's useless info now but it was an option.

I look forward to hearing from your fellow Sensation 3/23 cruisers as well.

How soon until you have your pics up on Webshots or similar venue?

OK, I gotta ask. If rust coming from the pipes mean that no water was running through them in a long time, how long? Does that mean that people in NO didn't bath while living on board? Pee-U (This is not meant to be taken seriously. I am sure there is a reason this happened.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't agree with every post that is posted here on this board, and I have learned alot from the good, the bad and the ugly. Thing is, it is a message board and people should be able to share all views without getting torched. Heck, I'll probably get torched for saying this, but I am really good at putting the things I think are petty, personal, or that I just don't agree with on ignore. I love this board, but also remember that it takes all kinds to make the world go round.:D ,

On the lighter side, I saw a great business opportunity here. Say somebody did leave and take a cab to McDonalds, bought a hundred or so hambergers and brought them back to the dock... Could have made a killing... (This is also meant to be a teaser)

We leave on the very ship in less than six weeks. I look forward to future reviews, no matter how they are expressed.

Are you asking me a serious question or just making comments about my post?

I hope you are not questioning my explanation about why Rust comes out of pipes as I am A general building Contractor and know how plumbing works.

I've read all the posts and many good points were brought up about the cruise. As a former embarkation agent for Carnival and worked at PC, I do feel that Sugarstick brought up a very good point about the cruise agents. Having worked with those individuals and knowing how it is out there, I feel that they were not professional at all. As far as food and drink, I have personally witnessed delayed passangers receiving plenty of food and water due to a delay. The supervisor just has to make a call and all the food and water can be delivered to the terminal. As far as the ship, Carnival knows that the Coast Guard has stiffened the requirements about security and safety. Carnival should have assured that they could pass any inspection prior to putting a ship back into service. It does seem that the cruise lines are rushing refurbishments and required maintaince on their fleets. As you can see, my family has a long record of sailing and we will continue to sail. There is always the possibility that something will happen like this on one of our cruises. We will deal with it accordingly. But I do think that Carnival and other cruiselines should have the responsibility of trying to prevent situations from happening like this. If you booked a flight on an airline, do you think that the airline would try to board you on an aircraft that was refurbished and not checked out completely?????? I'm quite sure that my former co=workers wouldn't allow that in the FAA. I just feel that this situation could have been prevented prior to the March 23 sailing. This is totally different than the Princess Star burning situation. Something to think about????????:rolleyes:

No use of cell phones is standard practice - they were doing this in Miami recently. Anyone taking a picture was also asked to stop, but they did not do anything else. Must be for security. Anyway, who ya gonna call... ghostbusters?

If they already checked you in and took your ticket, then I could see them saying no to leaving... how could they know you had a ticket upon return? They were not equipped for such a situation. I do think they could have brought in food sooner but, job one was to get the ship ready. Would anyone have traded a full tummy for another couple of hours in the holding pen?

Rust in the pipes is unfortunate, but temporary. That is quite harmless iron oxide and should disappear once the water runs for a while.

I would think someone with so many cruises would know that unforeseen events do happen. I agree with the poster who said that the delay was better than a cancelled cruise.

As far as tips for the first day - that's being petty. You missed 1/3 of a day, sure, but the staff still did the same amount of work - probably a lot more given the unusual circumstance. But if it makes you feel better, I am sure the purser would be happy to remove 1/3 of one day's tips (about $3.33 a person.) On top of the $25 pp credit, you now have $28.33 in your pocket. Happy now?

3) We were not allowed to use our cell phone or cameras while in the terminal. We were supervised by security at all times. While trying to call my parents I was approached by security and told to disconnect immediately or my phone would be confiscated. The pictures I took of the mayhem were asked to be deleted by security although I didn't

Due to Homeland Security, the use of cell phones are not allowed inside the terminal. You are allowed to step outside, use the cell phone, and then go back through security to enter the terminal. I've had to witness this numerous times. This is not a cruiseline reqt. This is the U.S. Gov't.

Have you been to Port Canaveral??? I swear I don't recall seeing anything around there such as a store, restaurant, etc. And as for getting a cab, I'm not sure how easy it would have been, and I'm sure the phones were pretty tied up as for calling a taxi. How do YOU know there was nothing that prevented them from going? We were fortunate when this happened... they gave us a time frame and we had places we could go around the terminal... I don't recall seeing much around PC.

As much as I see you comment on members posts and how they treat others on this board, it would seem you could have refrained from completely blaming the OP, considering you weren't there and have no idea what they could or couldn't do :rolleyes:

True Chris, the terminal is pretty isolated and taxis were prob at a premium. No Hooters close by there :(

I think I remember seeing some vending machines but those prob emptied out quickly.

Archived