Shortage of cabs in Rome? Has anyone used Uber lately?

I had someone advise on TripAdvisor that there was a shortage of cabs in Rome.  I have used Uber in the past in the South of France and Italy.  Only once on our last time in Rome.  The TripAdvisor contact said Uber was more expensive and often was more like UberBlack on prices.  They also indicated that sometimes it took them a while to respond and meet up with you. 

I'm fine with an upcharge just to have the convenience.  I have transport arranged for all times except on our last evening we would like to go from St Peters to the Colosseum for a few night pictures.  (A 20 minute stop)  Then on to Trevi Fountain, where we would be dropped off for pictures and then walk back to hotel.  We're a party of 8 adults so will need two taxis/ubers.  Does anyone have any experience with Rome taxis or Ubers?

We were just there. We had good luck getting taxis at our hotel. It was tougher on the street. 

we took a night golf cart tour of the city. 

they took us to all the locations and stopped. 

you might try that for your transportation. 

you might all fit in one. 

we were six and had an empty row

Uber in Italy is not the traditional model (amateur driver with a personal vehicle).  Each city in Italy where Uber is available negotiates its own contract and the app acts as a connection to the selected supplier.  In Rome, the connection is to a car service, hence the higher prices vs. taxis.  In Naples you are connected to a taxi but pay more than the regular taxi fare.

I would use Uber only as a fall back option due to its limitations in Italy.

There was some discussion of taxi shortages on TA back in the spring (see this article for background:   Rome taxi crisis: 1.3 million calls a month unanswered (wantedinrome.com)), but not much lately.  

1 hour ago, nadeki said:

We were just there. We had good luck getting taxis at our hotel. It was tougher on the street. 

we took a night golf cart tour of the city. 

they took us to all the locations and stopped. 

you might try that for your transportation. 

you might all fit in one. 

we were six and had an empty row

Could you provide the name of the company?   This may be a great option.   

Thanks for the information.  If anyone has recommendations for a prebook transport company, I just had someone cancel on us.  8 adults for transport from hotel to train with luggage at 5:45 AM.  Need for 8/18/24 which I just found out was a holiday weekend.  

Posted (edited)

How hard is it to get a taxi from the airport? Picturing long lines...

We've got private transport from the hotel to the port and the port to the airport, but may need to book them from the airport.

Edited by schmoopie17

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Travel To Be Free said:

Thanks for the information.  If anyone has recommendations for a prebook transport company, I just had someone cancel on us.  8 adults for transport from hotel to train with luggage at 5:45 AM.  Need for 8/18/24 which I just found out was a holiday weekend.  

Rome Cabs
Or the Concierge at one’s Hotel… It’s just a small part of the Concierge’s job… Send a missive to the Hotel.. They will it be found wanting.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

3 hours ago, Travel To Be Free said:

Here is my research.  Mary Roma is very popular.

Rome transfers
Rometransferservice.com.   $165e
Rome in limo 
Romecabs.com 190e for 4
Stefano Rome Cabs

Romashuttle.com
Civitavecchia Shuttle Express 170e

Mary Roma Cabs
Romecabtransfer.com $165e for 4l

2 hours ago, kohanfam said:

Here is my research.  Mary Roma is very popular.

Rome transfers
Rometransferservice.com.   $165e
Rome in limo 
Romecabs.com 190e for 4
Stefano Rome Cabs

Romashuttle.com
Civitavecchia Shuttle Express 170e

Mary Roma Cabs
Romecabtransfer.com $165e for 4l

OP requires car prices and availability for 8 pax plus luggage, during an Italian holiday period.  But thank you anyway