TWO MSC QUESTIONS PLEASE

I'm cruising on the Seascape in a couple months. I have two questions please:

1. Bidding for upgraded cabin: 

I'm on MSC's E-Mail page so I get all the promotional announcements. I bid for a balcony cabin their minimum USD amount. When will I find out if my bid was accepted? This will be my third MSC cruise and I was able to get balcony's on my first two sailings. As of now I'm in for a guaranteed cabin interior. (Cheapest/Easiest) also cruising solo. 

2. Not as big a deal but, I'm doing Duolingo Spanish and am on a serious streak. When I cruise, I don't get Internet. Ask my loved ones and friends, when not on vacation I live online. My cruise is seven nights. Did I mention I'm doing the FREE Duolingo Spanish program. Any ideas so I don't lose my streak? I've looked online but the information pertains to paid Duolingo. Please and thank you. I'm hoping one of y'all has a cruise hack for Duolingo.

Duolingo-characters-bear-falstaff.png Voy a hacer un Crucero MSC

Sailing from Florida you will have all the opportunity you could wish for to practice your Spanish.  Likely half he guests will be speaking it.  And the taxi drivers, Uber, Lyft….
  When I book, I check the deck plans.  Look at cruisedeckplans.com. They tell you how many of each cabin type there are.  On Sea ships OV is the smallest category.  Book an OV gty and you are almost certain to be upgraded  free to a balcony.  Worked for me last month on Seashore,  last year on Seaside.  In 2019 on Seaside.  EM

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Zippyjet said:

I'm cruising on the Seascape in a couple months. I have two questions please:

1. Bidding for upgraded cabin: 

I'm on MSC's E-Mail page so I get all the promotional announcements. I bid for a balcony cabin their minimum USD amount. When will I find out if my bid was accepted? This will be my third MSC cruise and I was able to get balcony's on my first two sailings. As of now I'm in for a guaranteed cabin interior. (Cheapest/Easiest) also cruising solo. 

2. Not as big a deal but, I'm doing Duolingo Spanish and am on a serious streak. When I cruise, I don't get Internet. Ask my loved ones and friends, when not on vacation I live online. My cruise is seven nights. Did I mention I'm doing the FREE Duolingo Spanish program. Any ideas so I don't lose my streak? I've looked online but the information pertains to paid Duolingo. Please and thank you. I'm hoping one of y'all has a cruise hack for Duolingo.

Duolingo-characters-bear-falstaff.png Voy a hacer un Crucero MSC

We found out our bid was accepted two days before departure. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Captain Zippyjet said:

2. Not as big a deal but, I'm doing Duolingo Spanish and am on a serious streak. When I cruise, I don't get Internet. Ask my loved ones and friends, when not on vacation I live online. My cruise is seven nights.

Not sure what you're asking here. Are you asking how to get internet access without paying for it?

I'm on DuoLingo as well. Now I'm on the paid version for Spanish (tough language!), but I finished Swedish on the free version in one long streak including several cruises and other vacations abroad. My first advise would be to get the paid version. It saves an awful lot of time not having to watch commercials every other lesson. Then again, this might not help you with your problem. I don't think free or paid makes a difference there.

There are two options to extend your streak when you don't have internet access. Duolingo loads one or two lessons ahead (but not when you have to open a chest!). To be sure, you can open a lesson to force to load it, then close it without finishing it. You can then open it again when you don't have internet access. You can try this at home by closing your phone connections, then opening the app again. Probably you won't be able to speak, that function really only works with internet access. The app will skip those. Second option is using streak freezes. You can use up to two in a row. Your streak will be saved (though the day will be blue in your streak calender), while you still have the opportunity to skip a day. My advised would be to save the second option as a escape, first try the first option. Every time you have internet access (Starbucks of McDonalds in port?), do a lesson and load a lesson. Save the freezes for seadays. You might not even need them.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sealynx said:

I'm on DuoLingo as well. Now I'm on the paid version for Spanish (tough language!), but I finished Swedish on the free version in one long streak including several cruises and other vacations abroad. My first advise would be to get the paid version. It saves an awful lot of time not having to watch commercials every other lesson. Then again, this might not help you with your problem. I don't think free or paid makes a difference there.

There are two options to extend your streak when you don't have internet access. Duolingo loads one or two lessons ahead (but not when you have to open a chest!). To be sure, you can open a lesson to force to load it, then close it without finishing it. You can then open it again when you don't have internet access. You can try this at home by closing your phone connections, then opening the app again. Probably you won't be able to speak, that function really only works with internet access. The app will skip those. Second option is using streak freezes. You can use up to two in a row. Your streak will be saved (though the day will be blue in your streak calender), while you still have the opportunity to skip a day. My advised would be to save the second option as a escape, first try the first option. Every time you have internet access (Starbucks of McDonalds in port?), do a lesson and load a lesson. Save the freezes for seadays. You might not even need them.

Thank You! Still getting the duolingo thing down. For you know what's and giggles whats your favorite Dulingo Avatars? As you can see my two are the Teddy Bear and the Parrot or owell or whatever that meme is. The old lady and mustached hombre look 70's.

On 7/18/2024 at 5:08 PM, Essiesmom said:

Sailing from Florida you will have all the opportunity you could wish for to practice your Spanish.  Likely half he guests will be speaking it.  And the taxi drivers, Uber, Lyft….
  When I book, I check the deck plans.  Look at cruisedeckplans.com. They tell you how many of each cabin type there are.  On Sea ships OV is the smallest category.  Book an OV gty and you are almost certain to be upgraded  free to a balcony.  Worked for me last month on Seashore,  last year on Seaside.  In 2019 on Seaside.  EM

I was asking based on Duolingo. The daily drills, lessons are fun and helpful. But, appreciate your input.

On 7/19/2024 at 11:36 PM, Captain Zippyjet said:

Thank You! Still getting the duolingo thing down. For you know what's and giggles whats your favorite Dulingo Avatars? As you can see my two are the Teddy Bear and the Parrot or owell or whatever that meme is. The old lady and mustached hombre look 70's.

Its good to learn with various voices and intonations, and I like how the different avatars represent a part the wonderful variety of people we have in our society. A sporty farther, lazy son, grandmother, pubescent emo girl, gay man, etc.

I did this cruise last month

and I had the "duolingo issue" too.

Everyday I did a lesson. Just a lesson to keep on.... but we had one day at ship.

I knew I had two days I could did nothing without problems but somewhere I tried to do a lesson. Obviously it didn't upload but in the next day it appears as everyday on fire!!