Oceania vs. MSC Yacht Club

ak1004

Hello all,

After sailing for the last 5-6 years exclusively on premium/luxury lines like Oceania, Silversea, Azamara etc, we decided to try the MSC Yacht Club and booked a 7 nights cruise in the Caribbean for March 2025 on one of their newer ships Seascape.

In this case, the itinerary is not important (we have been in most Caribbean ports more than once), it's mostly to try the YC product. We also booked the cheapest cabin (interior), I'm aware that it's significantly smaller than cabins we sailed on the Riviera (and obviously on SS), so again, not a significant factor, but it was a great value at $250 USD per day, including drinks and WiFi..

What I'm mostly interested in is comparison of service and food between YC and Oceania, specifically Oceania newer ships, and also the general feel, entertainment, activities etc.. 

Just want to set the right expectations.

Thank you everyone!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

... we decided to try the MSC Yacht Club and booked a 7 nights cruise in the Caribbean for March 2025 on one of their newer ships Seascape. ... We also booked the cheapest cabin (interior), I'm aware that it's significantly smaller than cabins we sailed on the Riviera (and obviously on SS), so again, not a significant factor, but it was a great value at $250 USD per day, including drinks and WiFi...

Is that $250 per day the entire cost for the cabin (for 2) or is it per person per day? If the former, that would be just $125 PP per day.

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“Ship within a ship?” Unappealing for all of the obvious reasons.

Though given the explosion in O's prices, depends on the price, the itineraries, ship, and line. I'm just shocked at how expensive O's prices have become, even when supposedly "on sale". The recent sales nothing like their former sales in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though given the explosion in O's prices, depends on the price, the itineraries, ship, and line. I'm just shocked at how expensive O's prices have become, even when supposedly "on sale". The recent sales nothing like their former sales in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

And they never will be- as those sales were to bring us all back to cruising after COVID...the cost of eggs is nothing like it was in 2021,2022 and 2023 either

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Is that $250 per day the entire cost for the cabin (for 2) or is it per person per day? If the former, that would be just $125 PP per day.

Per person

29 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“Ship within a ship?”

Unappealing for all of the obvious reasons.

What are the obvious reasons?

• Like 1

We most often book O cruises soon after booking opens and, if possible, we do BoB or FCDCs. That gives us the “price drop match guarantee” which, although it has certain restrictions, is still a worthwhile perk as long as we keep our eye on the sales that follow.

Occasionally, an O sale will come along that’s worth getting a reprice or, if there’s restrictions  on things like “double dipping,” negotiating some added SBC for the original deal. But, for the most part, the earlier you book, the better your “bottom line” will be in the long run.

As for “jumping ship” and starting the cultivation of a good working relationship with another cruise line(s), it is inevitable that the new one’s prices and sales will behave in the same manner as O over time. 

Don’t get me wrong. Shopping around and varying the shipboard experience (good or bad) works for some folks. But, we see a “preferred” cruise line like O as a vacation home, in part, because it then allows us to concentrate our planning/implementation on itinerary and activities. And we will maintain that vacation home until it no longer suits our preferences and expectations as well as our means to pay for it.

And, we’re not alone in that approach. 

• Like 3

I’m going to ignore the comments about the “ship within a ship” comments except to say it’s an experience that some like, including myself.  Others don’t like it for various reasons.  I can’t speak for them.  

I’ve never been on MSC, but I’ve heard good things about the YC and would like to try it someday.  I haven’t heard such good things about MSC unless you’re in the Yacht Club.  That being said, I have sailed in the Haven on NCL six times on three of its ships.  Absolutely loved it and have two more cruises scheduled.  I understand that the YC is similar to the Haven - at least those on NCL’s larger ships.  Personally I love the larger ships.  More food and entertainment options.  But I hate the crowds and lines that generally exist with so many people onboard.  To me the “ship within a ship” concept is the best of both worlds.  You have access to everything the big ships have to offer, but also a private area with extra services, perks, private pools and hot tubs and the wonderful private restaurant and bar.  I understand that the concept is not for everyone, but we’ve had great experiences.

Our first sailing on O is in three weeks.  We’re really looking forward to it.  I’m sure we’re going to love it, but will also continue to sail the mainstream lines.  In the Haven/Yacht Club/Retreat if the price/itinerary is right. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not rocket science.

Obviously many people like it, so I wouldn’t present it as the ultimate truth.. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We most often book O cruises soon after booking opens and, if possible, we do BoB or FCDCs. That gives us the “price drop match guarantee” which, although it has certain restrictions, is still a worthwhile perk as long as we keep our eye on the sales that follow.

Occasionally, an O sale will come along that’s worth getting a reprice or, if there’s restrictions  on things like “double dipping,” negotiating some added SBC for the original deal. But, for the most part, the earlier you book, the better your “bottom line” will be in the long run.

As for “jumping ship” and starting the cultivation of a good working relationship with another cruise line(s), it is inevitable that the new one’s prices and sales will behave in the same manner as O over time. 

Don’t get me wrong. Shopping around and varying the shipboard experience (good or bad) works for some folks. But, we see a “preferred” cruise line like O as a vacation home, in part, because it then allows us to concentrate our planning/implementation on itinerary and activities. And we will maintain that vacation home until it no longer suits our preferences and expectations as well as our means to pay for it.

And, we’re not alone in that approach. 

I am loyal to my wife. Not to any particular line. O remains our favorite but we always sail based on itinerary, price and ship experience.

In this case the itinerary is not important and we want to focus on the ship experience. We are not likely to sail with MSC to Europe, but sailing on O or any other line to the Caribbean is a bit boring. Mediocre entertainment, no activities, not much to do. The ship within ship is supposed to provide a good compromise.

It’s not about the price as the YC price is probably comparable to O when comparing similar categories. It might be slightly cheaper in some cases but not by much. But the experience is supposed to be very different, this is why I’m seeking feedback from people who have tried both.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Have you checked other lines prices recently? We sailed on SS 3 times around $400 per person, now you are lucky if you can get it for $600, most sailings start around $700. Same with SB and most other lines.

I think also a cruise is what you make it, no one will have the same experience as you do.  If service is good and all things equal-both should be good.  If you want private the YC gives that to a degree.  However booking a named suite on "O" gives you a lot of extras that aren't obvious, but just the same add to the cruise.  It's not for everyone---but just the same I personally think none should go for the largest suite within your budget.  You'll see the difference on most ships today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

I think also a cruise is what you make it, no one will have the same experience as you do.  If service is good and all things equal-both should be good.  If you want private the YC gives that to a degree.  However booking a named suite on "O" gives you a lot of extras that aren't obvious, but just the same add to the cruise.  It's not for everyone---but just the same I personally think none should go for the largest suite within your budget.  You'll see the difference on most ships today.

Absolutely! 

• Like 1

We have sailed in the MSC Yacht Club once.  That was enough.  The concept is great, but the product was lacking for us. We were constantly comparing it to NCL's Haven.  In the Haven they have the best of the best working .  The best bartenders, waiters and such.  The Havens restaurant is very good.  We can almost eat every meal there if they changed the menu a couple of times.  The Yacht clubs' food was ordinary.  The personal assigned to the Yacht club are hit or miss.  Our room steward didn't show up until late afternoon and did an okay job.  The butler was a nice guy, but never really provided any added value.  The spa on MSC was very nice and we went many times.  The pizza in the main buffet (non Yacht club) was very good, but there were always lines and twice people cut in line which caused arguments with many.  Not like anything ever experienced on Oceania or the Haven.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“Ship within a ship?”

Unappealing for all of the obvious reasons.

Flatbush I love the haven on NCL have you tried a ship within a ship???

Jancruz1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

I’m going to ignore the comments about the “ship within a ship” comments except to say it’s an experience that some like, including myself.  Others don’t like it for various reasons.  I can’t speak for them.  

I’ve never been on MSC, but I’ve heard good things about the YC and would like to try it someday.  I haven’t heard such good things about MSC unless you’re in the Yacht Club.  That being said, I have sailed in the Haven on NCL six times on three of its ships.  Absolutely loved it and have two more cruises scheduled.  I understand that the YC is similar to the Haven - at least those on NCL’s larger ships.  Personally I love the larger ships.  More food and entertainment options.  But I hate the crowds and lines that generally exist with so many people onboard.  To me the “ship within a ship” concept is the best of both worlds.  You have access to everything the big ships have to offer, but also a private area with extra services, perks, private pools and hot tubs and the wonderful private restaurant and bar.  I understand that the concept is not for everyone, but we’ve had great experiences.

Our first sailing on O is in three weeks.  We’re really looking forward to it.  I’m sure we’re going to love it, but will also continue to sail the mainstream lines.  In the Haven/Yacht Club/Retreat if the price/itinerary is right. 

Plus 1

Jancruz1

4 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

I wouldn't sail on MSC or NCL if not in one of those "ship within ship" cabins. In fact, I'm not sure I would even go back to Celebrity if not in Retreat. But Retreat prices are insane.

One thing that I liked on YC when comparing to the Haven was the price. Since we don't care much about the cabin, we could book interior on YC at really attractive price. Yes, it's a bit small, but manageable. Haven cabins all have veranda and are much larger, and it's reflected in the price - it's more than double, at least on the newer ships.

It's good to have options! We sailed on 12 different lines with two more booked this year and next.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I wouldn't sail on MSC or NCL if not in one of those "ship within ship" cabins. In fact, I'm not sure I would even go back to Celebrity if not in Retreat. But Retreat prices are insane.

One thing that I liked on YC when comparing to the Haven was the price. Since we don't care much about the cabin, we could book interior on YC at really attractive price. Yes, it's a bit small, but manageable. Haven cabins all have veranda and are much larger, and it's reflected in the price - it's more than double, at least on the newer ships.

It's good to have options! We sailed on 12 different lines with two more booked this year and next.

Definitely good to have options!  We were perfectly content in regular balcony cabins on NCL until we won a bid into the Haven.  It spoils you forever.  That being said, we have sailed in “GenPop” when we couldn’t stomach the price tag of the Haven.  We’ve also stayed in Haven suites that are outside the complex, but a quick walk to it.  The price point is much better than courtyard cabins. I also agree with you on the availability of less expensive YC cabins.  Some day we’ll try it.  

Generally speaking, as long as I’m on a ship, I’m happy.  😃. (Unless it’s Carnival.  LOL)

As I said, our trip in three weeks will be our first time on Oceania, or any premium/luxury line (unless you consider Virgin in that category).  We booked it mostly for the itinerary and the chance to experience a smaller ship.  While we expect to enjoy it, I don’t expect to be turned off to the mainstream lines any time soon.  We love NCL - inside or outside the Haven.  We also absolutely love Virgin Voyages.  We’ve never been in a Rockstar suite and don’t expect to ever book one.  We just don’t see the value.  Between now and January we have four trips booked on Virgin and two on NCL - both in the Haven.  We’ll also be taking the QM2 to Europe to pick up the O ship.  Retirement is a wonderful thing.  😂. We expect to enjoy all the trips.  They will be unique in their own way and we expect to enjoy them all.

Variety is the spice of life and we’re all fortunate to be able to travel - regardless of how you like to do it.

Edited by Russiamomm
  • Like 4

@Russiamomm

That is a great variety of cruise lines thru the end of the year. Since we have not done QM, NCL or Virgin, we will look forward to your comparisons, pro/cons of the cruises. We are finally getting back to Riviera and Marina in November so we will have those personal comparisons for our purposes. Hopefully O measures up because I am sure it is a different Vibe compared to all the others but for us it is the “Right” vibe. 
Waiting with bated breath 🤞😇🛳️

Mauibabes

9 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@Russiamomm

That is a great variety of cruise lines thru the end of the year. Since we have not done QM, NCL or Virgin, we will look forward to your comparisons, pro/cons of the cruises. We are finally getting back to Riviera and Marina in November so we will have those personal comparisons for our purposes. Hopefully O measures up because I am sure it is a different Vibe compared to all the others but for us it is the “Right” vibe. 

Mauibabes

We will be on Marina in November too. Barcelona to Lisbon. Our fifth on Oceania and first on Marina.

@Russiamomm

Bummer, we board Marina in Lisbon to sail her back to Miami. Caught a great Sale offer a couple months ago that got us a PH and the 12 day TA for the cost of our Biz Class flight home. DW says it was a NO BRAINER, TA won hands down. 👍🙏🛳️😇

Mauibabes 

13 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@Russiamomm

Mauibabes

I’ll try to remember to post a comparison.  😂. We’re actually most anxious about the QM2.  As you can see from our choice of cruise lines, we’re not formal people.  LOL.  But hopefully what we packed will pass muster or we’ll be eating in the buffet a lot.  😂. My travel companions for these trips are also varied, so that will also affect the vibe.  It’s just DH and I for the QM and O trips.  It’s our 30th anniversary.  ❤️. The October trip is a quick five nighter to Bermuda with college buddies to celebrate my 60th.  The November Virgin trip is in Europe with an old friend.  Two other couples are joining us on the December Virgin trip.  And then three more on Virgin and NCL.  At this point those are just DH and I, but we’re hoping our son will be able to join us on the January NCL trip.  We booked a 2BR Haven cabin for that one.  He better come!

As I said, variety is the spice of life. 😂