Princess vs. Holland America for a Norwegian Fjord Cruise

sail2day

I am torn between the Sky Princess or the Holland America Rotterdam for a Norwegian Fjord cruise. The last time I cruised on Princess and Holland America was 12 years ago. I am a loyal Celebrity cruiser. May of 2025 is my target date for the cruise.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

I think it comes down to itinerary. I would post the itinerary of each cruise.

Agreed! Norway, like Alaska, is a place where I would very much choose based on the best itinerary, especially the fjords included. We almost chose the wrong cruise when deciding on our Norway cruise for this year and I'm so glad I did my research and got great advice here and ended up on a cruise with three of the high priority fjords. It made a huge difference. 

I love the Sky and it was a great setting for our cruise this year, but what really mattered was the itinerary, and I would have gladly have chosen another ship to get the right one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Agreed! Norway, like Alaska, is a place where I would very much choose based on the best itinerary, especially the fjords included. We almost chose the wrong cruise when deciding on our Norway cruise for this year and I'm so glad I did my research and got great advice here and ended up on a cruise with three of the high priority fjords. It made a huge difference. 

I agree. I did Princess on my Norway trip and it was great but what made it great was the ports and fjords. There really wasn't anything special that Princess did onboard that would sway me. Any cruise to Norway for me in the future will be made off of itinerary! Also, I wouldn't do a 7 night cruise to Norway. If you are going there, pick a 14 day cruise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, walkingsoon said:

Sky has 1000 more passengers and no promenade deck. I'd take HAL.

Good point.  But how much more will it cost you for the smaller ship?  Disclaimer:  I do not like the Royal Class ships.

Posted (edited)

We have cruised to Norway with both HAL in 2017 on the Koningsdam for 14 days and just now on the Sky Princess for 7 days (followed by the 14-day Baltic cruise we’re on right now) and enjoyed both immensely.

But for us the “journey” also plays an important roll in our decision making process and Princess will definitely get the nod every time as their current evening theater, Laugh Lounge, and game show entertainment is far superior to what HAL currently offers. 

But that’s just us. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

We are going to book a Norwegian Fjords cruise for 2026. Just waiting for Princess and HAL to release their 2026 schedules. For us it will come down to itinerary. We don’t need Baltic ports as we’ve done that. If the itineraries are anything like 2025, we will probably pick HAL as they have more interesting itineraries. 

As others have said let the itinerary decide. 

Also, in the fjords size matters. Not all ships can make it under the bridge in the Eidfjord.

We just completed a series of B2B (28 days) and had a wonderful time seeing the fjords and I would say both lines do a good job. We were on the Rotterdam but noticed some Princess ships in the same ports we were.

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 9:39 PM, sail2day said:

I am torn between the Sky Princess or the Holland America Rotterdam for a Norwegian Fjord cruise. The last time I cruised on Princess and Holland America was 12 years ago. I am a loyal Celebrity cruiser. May of 2025 is my target date for the cruise.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

IMO neither the ship nor the cruise line is the issue with something like a fjords cruise. The itinerary should drive the decision.  Post the itineraries for help in deciding.  

Also, spend some time in the Fjords topic here where there is a TON of very good information.  It's worth the time to read this topic.  

Edited by PATRLR