advice on Bora Bora excursions

snookie1

We will be doing the Hawaii/French Polynesia cruise in November.  We have signed up for the 4X4 back road adventure.  I am now having second thoughts about that.  I see that it says you are in the 4X4 with the top down.  I read temperatures in November are quite hot (in the 80's to 90's), and the humidity hoovers around 98%.  I'm thinking it will be pretty miserable.  And it says we will climb "the steep incline of one of the island's mountains".  On foot??  Or in the truck?  I'm thinking of cancelling this excursion and signing up for "Le Truck" instead -- sounds like we will at least have a roof over our heads!  Have any of you been on either of these excursions?  Does anyone have any advice to offer?

Thank you in advance!🌞

Le Truck is exactly as per the name. It is a truck chassis with a wooden pax compartment bolted to the frame. Yes, it has a roof, but it is most uncomfortable. The tour drives around the island with a few stops. Last experience was 2015, when DW was also with me. It was a newer truck so I thought it would be improved, from previous experiences, sadly that wasn't the case.

Haven't been on the 4x4 tour, but on our last visit, we planned one with one of the private operators, not a Shore-ex. No, you do not walk up the hill. You can exit the vehicle to enjoy the views when it stops.

@Jim Avery can also provide feedback on Le truck.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Le Truck is exactly as per the name. It is a truck chassis with a wooden pax compartment bolted to the frame. Yes, it has a roof, but it is most uncomfortable. The tour drives around the island with a few stops. Last experience was 2015, when DW was also with me. It was a newer truck so I thought it would be improved, from previous experiences, sadly that wasn't the case.

Haven't been on the 4x4 tour, but on our last visit, we planned one with one of the private operators, not a Shore-ex. No, you do not walk up the hill. You can exit the vehicle to enjoy the views when it stops.

@Jim Avery can also provide feedback on Le truck.

Thank you so much for that information.  So I'm assuming Le Truck wasn't an enjoyable excursion?   Did you enjoy the 4X4 tour more??  Or were both miserable?

I agree with Andy.  Le Truck is interesting and circumnavigates the island basically at sea level.  The homemade (mostly) vehicles are very rough riding.  The fact that the road was built by Navy Seabees in WWII and, apparently. never maintained since doesn't help.  You do get to see the land crabs and learn about locals burying family in the front yard.  Another highlight is a stop at Bloody Mary's Bar.  At least they did before the construction of the resort started.  Might be done  by the time you get there.  Then it will be a bar with a resort attached instead of a resort with some bars.  Glad we did LeTruck but would not do it a second time.🍹

We did the Bora Bora 4x4 excursion.  Unfortunately, it poured rain 80% of the excursion, which sucked.  We were drenched when we finally got back to the ship.  I think it would have been a fabulous excursion, but for the massive downpours.

5 hours ago, snookie1 said:

Thank you so much for that information.  So I'm assuming Le Truck wasn't an enjoyable excursion?   Did you enjoy the 4X4 tour more??  Or were both miserable?

The actual drive around the island is scenic with some great stops, however the level of comfort is negligible. I did the tour a couple of times many years ago and again in 2015, the comfort didn't improve.

Unfortunately, we had to cancel our last World Cruise, so never did get a change to experience the 4x4 tour. However, based on my research they drive up the hill and then you get out to walk. May have done the 4x4 many years ago, but I don't have memories as per the Le Truck.

A good vendor on Bora Bora is Patrick's Tours, but they aren't cheap. If memory is correct, they do both land based and water tours.

• Like 1

Consider renting bicycles! We did this on our 1987 trip to Bora Bora. The bikes weren’t fancy, but the road was mostly flat, so we were able to easily ride around the entire island. Great memory.

If only I could!  But with my knee and back issues I would never make it.  Sounds like a great way to see the island, though!☺️

• Like 1