South Pacific Hawaiian Cruise Port/Starboard for best views

Hi! This is my first post. My family of 4 will be taking our first Norwegian cruise in July 2025 on the Norwegian Sun. We are currently booked in an Oceanview room but wanting to change to a balcony room as this is a once in a lifetime trip for us. My question is this: Which side of the ship should we book on for best views? I read somewhere (I can't find it now) but a lady mentioned missing lava from a volcano one night and how upset she was because she was on the wrong side. I don't know which island or how long ago this was either. 

Here is our itinerary, with some ports being overnight stops: 

• Honolulu,Oahu
  • Kahului,Maui
  • Nāwiliwili,Kaua`i
  • Kona,Hawaii
  • Hilo,Hawaii
  • Bora Bora,French Polynesia
  • Raiatea,French Polynesia
  • Moorea,French Polynesia
  • Papeete (Tahiti),French Polynesia

I've attached a picture of the Hawaiian islands so you can see them up close. Please note, this is NOT our route (pictured is Pride of America 7 day route I believe). 

Which side of the ship would YOU book on? Thanks in advance for your replies and recommendations! 

AME-7-HAW-HNL-45754-1.webp

The view of the volcanic eruption was during the passage from Hilo to Kona when, I think, Kilauea or Mauna Loa erupted a few years ago and ships went south round Hawai'i (Big Island) rather than the normal northerly passage.

Remember you will be in port most days in Hawaii just as the sun is rising and until about 5pm. The sun sets at about 7pm in July so there isn’t a lot of time to view the scenery from the balcony before it gets dark.  You won’t have much time especially if you have dinner before 7pm. Who knows if the timing will be right to see lava or not. 

We had amazing weather cruising from Hawaii to Tahiti and hope you have a great cruise! 

We took this same cruise last year and it was amazing.   We didn't feel like one side of the ship was any better than the other.   

Tahiti does its border/customs interviews on the sea days between Hawaii and Tahiti.  Once the ship reaches the Tahitian Islands there is no customs at any port - just walk off/on the ship showing your ship card and carry id of course.

This also means you can leave the cruise at any Tahitian island - just close out your account and leave the ship with your suiitcases.   There were ship passengers doing this at each Tahitian island port on our cruise.   Our ship arrived in Papeete about 8 PM and most passengers stayed onboard until the next morning.   We chose to leave the ship right after arriving in Papeete to head over to the resort where we were staying for a few days.  Just closed our account, left the ship, got a taxi - no customs to deal with.   

What volcanic activity there will be next year is anybody's guess, so no one can really say.  Go out on the public decks and walk around to see even bigger views than you will have in your cabin.  We love having a balcony though - especially in Hawaii and the South Pacific.  There may be some times when you just want your privacy and to breathe fresh air, and your balcony can help with that.  The areas where the ships dock are usually not the most attractive places, so don't go looking for views there.  Aloha!