Carnival Cruise Line Not Planning to Order Smaller Ships

15 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Smaller ships will continue to exist not because people and cruise lines want them (they don’t - people enjoy mega ships more, as do cruise lines since they have lower per person costs and more opportunities for revenue generation) - but because there are oodles of ports throughout the world that can’t handle mega ships.  

Not to mention, Europe has only a modest exposure to mega ships - and certainly not the latest and greatest - and there’s already backlash over the environmental impact they have.  Wouldn’t be surprising to see some European ports at the very least limit the number of calls these ships make. 

I guess modest is a relative term, but we did MSC World Europe in November out of Barcelona for a Med cruise. It's the 8th largest ship in the world only behind the big RCL ships, and its not far behind even then. Many similarities to Oasis RCL class. Megaships will be all over the Med sooner than later. 

I was also impressed with a ship that size easily navigating in ports like Malta and Genoa which can be a bit tight. Never felt packed and the metropolitan ports handled the volume of passengers well. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 3:30 PM, elcuchio24 said:

People will certainly age, but if in 25 years those people who loved the big ships when they were 40 suddenly going to hate them when they're 65? Maybe. Maybe I will too. But once you're used to certainly levels of amenities/activities I'd be more in line to think they'll be more apt to continue to cruise on the large ships.

Of course, the 'large ships' of today may be the small ships of tomorrow. THAT's what I'd expect more than anything. In 25 years I'll probably be complaining about how I dont want to go on the 400,000 ton new ships, and stay with the older 220,000 ton ships of yesteryear that I love...

The Fantasy class ships were considered big ships when they were first introduced, now they seem tiny in comparison to a lot of the newest and biggest ships. It's all relative I suppose... in 25 years all the young cruisers will be in disbelief that we ever sailed on something so small!😆

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, nc762shooter said:

The Fantasy class ships were considered big ships when they were first introduced, now they seem tiny in comparison to a lot of the newest and biggest ships. It's all relative I suppose... in 25 years all the young cruisers will be in disbelief that we ever sailed on something so small!😆

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2024 at 1:28 PM, 787cruiser said:

I think you have to take what JH said with a little grain of salt and also read between the lines. No they will not build ships the size of the spirit class again but I do believe we will see "smaller ships" ordered at some point and when I mean smaller I reckon in the region of 140-160GT. Its already a common rumor that RCCL next class of ship is on the smaller side.

Just going to repost this after todays development....🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1