28 Day Norwegian Fjords & Icelandic Intrigue on Sojourn - July 27th through August 24th - Our Experience

SLSD

Posted (edited)

Yesterday was our first Norwegian port on this voyage.  It was the city of Trondheim which is a city with 200,000 residents.  We chose to take a ship's excursion which was a general overview of the city.  Many others chose to walk through the city on their own--and enjoyed it.  I was surprised that there was no shuttle provided by Seabourn in Trondheim.  While many found walking to the interesting sites to be no problem, I am sure there were many who were not up to the walk.  Mr. SLSD and I would have been able to walk to the Cathedral and the Old Town, but didn't.  Perhaps we should have--it is hard to say.  Our chosen excursion did give us a good view of the city. 

We started out with a short bus ride to reach a ca. 1958 tram which has been preserved by companies which have owned the tram service and now by the city.  We boarded the tram and proceeded through the city and to its outskirts, seeing some residential areas that we might call suburbs.  I always enjoy this kind of thing.  We also saw forested areas.  We also saw a fortress which overlooks the city--but it was encased in scaffolding. I've include a few photos from that site.  We also saw the university in the city as well as the lovely homes adjacent which were originally built for professors.  These days, the professors can no longer afford to buy the houses as some have sold for 2 million dollars.  

Following this, we were taken to an overlook of these entire city--then to several other sites and finally to the Cathedral which our guide told us is the most northern medieval cathedral in all of Europe.  We did not have time on this tour to go inside and I apologize that my photographs of the cathedral are not ideal--the sun was shining in our faces and we could not get far enough away.  That being said, the cathedral was glorious.  So many statues of notable people to the people of Norway.  

I've attached a number of photos so that you can get a flavor of Trondheim if you  have not been there.  Our guide was 17 years old!  She was exceptionally knowledgable about the history of Norway and everything we saw along the way.  I was very impressed. She is French--her parents work at the major 40,000 student university in Trondheim and the family is applying for citizenship after living in Norway for 7+ years.  

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1419 (1).JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1535 (1).JPG

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1565 (1).JPG

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_4456.JPG

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, nancygp said:

A bit harsh!   Hum, should I be offended by your comment?  I post on the crystal board periodically. 😀

Fwiw, Harry, hotel director on Sojourn, was a hotel director with crystal prior to joining seabourn.

Nancy

Yes, Harry, not Larry as I posted.  Thank you for the correction.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We remain very fond of Earth and Ocean for dinner.  Last night, the weather was perfect and the restaurant was completely full.  We had what I think was the best meal of our cruise.  While the venue is casual, the food can be a bit sophisticated.  Below are some of the menu items at our table.  

IMG_4566 (1).jpg

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4568 (1).jpg

IMG_4569 (1).jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

Last night's entertainment in the Grand Salon was a pianist, but the real star of the show was our cruise director, Robert, who sang a song from Les Miserables.  

IMG_4573.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Sojourn stopped at the port of Bronnoysund, Norway--population 5,000 (7,000+ in the metropolitan area).  Seabourn provided a shuttle into this small town and we took advantage of this in the morning.  In the afternoon, we took an excursion to a very large Herb Garden.  We enjoyed the herb garden (others appeared to not enjoy it) as well as a serving of homemade cake with coffee in the owner's 200 year old home.  I've included some photos below of Bronnysund, its surrounding area, as well as of the lovely herb garden, turf roofed buildings and some photos from inside the home.  Our tour also included an organ concert in the local stone church.  The organist played a very old pipe organ and played classical as well as Norwegian folk music.  

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1758.JPG

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1639 (1).jpg

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1792 (1).JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, speech1102 said:

I noticed some of you said you had paxlovid with you. How did you get it. My doctor won’t prescribe it unless you actually have Covd?

Our doctors do not hesitate to prescribe Covid if we are going on a trip.  They prescribed it for us last year as well as this year.  My doctor said it is not in short supply and is readily available.  He prescribes it like he would any other medication that a traveling patient might need.  My husband's doctor is at a medical school, while my doctor is a solo practitioner in the same city.  We are both long time patients of our doctors.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Thanks 1

This morning found Sojourn anchored close to the Norwegian town of Svolvaer in the area known as the Lofoten Islands.  The day started out rainy and cloudy.  

IMG_1811.JPG

IMG_1816 (1).JPG

• Like 3

Our excursion out of Svolvaer took us to the small and picturesque village of Hemmingsvaer.  Hemmingsvaer has long been known as an artists' colony due to the exceptional quality of the light in the area as well as its dramatic scenery.  We were headed to an Art Gallery which is actually more of a museum.  The paintings displayed were from the late 19th century to the present with many having as their focus the local area's fishing heritage and mountainous terrain.  My favorite contemporary artist at the gallery was Lars Levin, known for his watercolors.  

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1877.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We did this tour on the ovation Norway sailing in 2022.  We really enjoyed it, particularly the art gallery.  Trying to figure out what to do at this stop next year.

enjoy

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

The Lofoten Islands are known for the small islands in the area as well as for the huge mountains which are right up against towns and villages.  On our return to Svolvaer this kind of scenery was on display.  Once back in Svolvaer, we walked through the city, visiting a World War II museum and stopping for lunch.  At the World War II museum, there were a lot of *** era uniforms and other paraphernalia on display including a rather shocking Christmas ornament.  

IMG_1935 (1).JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1999 (1).jpg

IMG_2002.JPG

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, nancygp said:

We did this tour on the ovation Norway sailing in 2022.  We really enjoyed it, particularly the art gallery.  Trying to figure out what to do at this stop next year.

enjoy

Nancy

I'll look back at the offerings.  We were there last year as well and chose different excursions this year.  

4 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I'll look back at the offerings.  We were there last year as well and chose different excursions this year.  

Thanks…exploring Svolvaer on our own looks perfect. If you liked where you had lunch,  I’d appreciate if you can send me or post here with the name of the restaurant.

Thank you,

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Thanks…exploring Svolvaer on our own looks perfect. If you liked where you had lunch,  I’d appreciate if you can send me or post here with the name of the restaurant.

Thank you,

Nancy

I don't recall the name of the restaurant.  It was a modern place right on the water.  We chose it as there appeared to be quite a few local people dining.  It did not feature typical Norwegian food.  There were other choices.  The only thing about not taking an excursion in this area is that you miss the gorgeous surrounding scenery which features the islands for which the area is famous.  It was easy to do both yesterday--an excursion and a walk around the town.  I just tried to look back at The Source for yesterday's other offerings--and of course it won't back up to show me.  I DO remember that we took the long Vikings tours last year and loved it.  It is one of those 7.5 hour tours.  It was magnificent, but of course you are gone all day.  Tromso is a better city for walking than Svolvaer, but both would work for spending a day walking.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Just a few comments to maintain my credibility as a Seabourn cruiser reporter.  The service in the The Restaurant in the evenings has been very slow.  I tend to think the issue is in the kitchen and not with the wait staff as the waiters have been apologizing to us.  

The service at Earth and Ocean has been very good.  It slows down a bit when that restaurant is busy.  

Also, I am not terribly impressed with the Pool Bar.  At some times of day  (late afternoon) they need to staff up.  And, I would not order anything complicated from them. 

Room Service has not been perfect.  They have been on time, but sometimes have not included my iced tea.  I always write in  with stars and underlining "iced tea" on our hangtag for breakfast.  Since I don't drink coffee, the iced tea is important to me.  When they do bring it--it is served in a carafe which equates to two good sized glasses.  

All in all, the service has been very good.  I mention the things above so that you will know that they are noticed and that I am not a complete Pollyanna.  

We have told there will be some Norwegian beer aboard.  We haven't had the opportunity to check that out yet.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I don't recall the name of the restaurant.  It was a modern place right on the water.  We chose it as there appeared to be quite a few local people dining.  It did not feature typical Norwegian food.  There were other choices.  The only thing about not taking an excursion in this area is that you miss the gorgeous surrounding scenery which features the island for which the area is famous.  It was easy to do both yesterday--an excursion and a walk around the town.  I just tried to look back at The Source for yesterday's other offerings--and of course it won't back up to show me.  I DO remember that we took the long Vikings tours last year and loved it.  It is one of those 7.5 hour tours.  It was magnifient, but of course you are gone all day.  Tromso is a better city for walking than Svolvaer, but both would work for spending a day walking.  

Thanks.  We’ve been to this region twice, also on crystal in 2018.  On that trip we went to a different area and it was also picturesque and an enjoyable tour.  I’ll look at the excursions offered for next year and decide what we’ll do.  Doubt we’ll do a 7.5 hour tour.  In regards to Tromso, been there twice and will most likely walk around as we only had limited time to do that in 2022 due to the time of our tour

Edited by nancygp

Our fellow passengers always say some things that make me laugh.  A few years ago, one friend called dining in the Colonnade at breakfast and lunch "feeding at the trough".  Just reporting that got me in a lot of trouble here. 

Last year, a friend said that the ship has a "nursing home vibe".  You know who you are. 

This year, one of our Australian friends has said that some passengers are "zombies".  I think she is referring to those who never look at you, speak, or alter their expressions--all while on vacation!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Thanks.  We’ve been to this region twice, also on crystal in 2018.  On that trip we went to a different area and it was also picturesque and an enjoyable tour.  I’ll look at the excursions offered for next year and decide what we’ll do.  Doubt we’ll do a 7.5 hour tour.  In regards to Tromso, been there twice and will most likely walk around as we 

We remembered that walking Tromso last year was a fun experience.  Just so OTHERS will know who have not yet been to Tromso--Tromso also features a fine history/natural world museum, a well known "Arctic Cathedral" and tramway which takes you up to a breathtaking overlook.  We did these things last year in Tromso and still had plenty of time to walk through the city and have lunch.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

Our doctors do not hesitate to prescribe Covid if we are going on a trip.  They prescribed it for us last year as well as this year.  My doctor said it is not in short supply and is readily available.  He prescribes it like he would any other medication that a traveling patient might need.  My husband's doctor is at a medical school, while my doctor is a solo practitioner in the same city.  We are both long time patients of our doctors.  

Ha!  I meant to type that they do not hesitate to prescribe Paxlovid!!  

• Like 2

Tonight, we had dinner in The Restaurant as it was rainy and Earth and Ocean was not the best venue for the evening.  Our entrees were Sole and a Pasta dish.  After dinner,  Damian, the bartender, entertained us at the Obs Bar.  At 9:30, we attended a show in the Grand Salon called "The Midnight Hour".  Curiously, there are now six Seabourn dancers on Sojourn and only two singers.  In our opinion, this doesn't really work.  It means that two singers are singing every single song in a show and the small space is filled with six dancers.  We miss having four singers and two to four dancers would be plenty.  However, the dancers are truly exceptional.  We have been told that Seabourn is going to be changing things up a bit and hiring only singers who can dance and dancers that can also sing.  I hope that will not mean a dilution of both talents.  

IMG_4648 (4).jpg

IMG_4647 (2).jpg

IMG_4650 (2).jpg

IMG_4657 (1).jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

A personal observation about dress on Sojourn for our four week cruise.  Over the several years that Mr. SLSD and I have been cruising, we have seen dress on Seabourn become progressively more casual.  My comments are mostly about dress in The Restaurant for dinner in the evenings.  I remember when most every man wore a jacket (sports coat as we call them in the United States) and tie for dinner.  Now, it appears that most men do not wear a jacket in the evenings. Or course this depends on the cohort that are onboard that particular segment.  I did notice that the men on the second 7 day leg of our voyage were a dressier group--with more jackets at dinner among the men.  Last night in The Restaurant, jackets were rare.  And, not a tie to be seen (at least by me).  Even Mr. SLSD is wearing a tie now only on Formal Night.   

I think people tend to dress in the way that they are most comfortable and in the way that seems most usual to them.  Mr. SLSD is used to wearing a jacket to any "white tablecloth" type of restaurant and perhaps others are not doing that these days.  Mr. SLSD has stopped wearing a tie on an everyday evening in The Restaurant as others are not wearing them.  He did make an exception for dinner on our wedding anniversary. 

So what are men wearing in the The Restaurant for dinner?  Most are wearing a long sleeved shirt (some short sleeves), or a sweater or a knit shirt of some kind.  

Women's dress in the restaurant is all over the map--and I could not even begin to adequately describe it.  On this particular cooler weather cruise, I've seen many women wearing sweaters and slacks to dinner.  Very few dresses --mostly slacks and tops of all sorts.   

Daytime dress seems unchanged over the years.  The change has been in dress in the evenings.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

We are approaching Honnigsvag this early morning. We will be going to the North Cape today.  Here are a couple of photos I snapped just now from our balcony.  One photo includes a Hurtigruten cruise ship.  Has anyone here sailed with them?  I have to say that we are tempted--understanding fully that they are not luxury ships.  

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2132 (1).JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A first look at the town of Honnigsvag as Sojourn docks this morning. I believe that Honnigsvag is the northernmost city in Norway.  We arrived about 30 minutes ahead of schedule in spite of getting a late start.  Yesterday, leaving Tromso, we sailed close by for about an hour and a half as a medical situation was evaluated.  Finally, the captain told us that we were lingering so that a passenger could go ashore for treatment.  I believe they were taken off the ship by tender.  

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yesterday, Sojourn docked in Tromso, Norway, a city inside the Arctic Circle.  This is a great city to explore on foot as the ship docks just one block or so from the center of the city!  We picked up a map at Seabourn Square and later a free map at a local shop.  You don't really even need a map if you are interested in exploring the older part of the city.  It is just right here in front of you.  

A large church is in the center of town, surrounded by several streets of shops and restaurants.  If you are in the market for high quality outdoor wear, Tromso is your place.  We lunched at a local cafe and explored all around--enjoying an organ concert at the large church in the center of the city.  

I'm posting some photos here to give you a general idea of the city.  The last photo show the Sojourn docked at Tromso.  

IMG_2027.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2015 (1).JPG

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2130.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 6