Walkie Talkies Allowed?

On 7/29/2024 at 10:47 AM, spartanburgsc said:

I’ve read that different lines no longer allow these. I’ve looked at carnival’s prohibited items and don’t see them specifically prohibited. Anyone have the deets?

I don't think they are banned, but they are pretty much obsolete now that we have the hub chat option. Easier, less disruptive to those around you, and there's no need for bulky equipment that may not work on all areas of the ship/

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Because sometimes the "Captain Obvious" selection of prohibited items means things just don't get listed.  That's not the case here, I don't think.

Or because Carnival might have prohibited them explicitly for a while, but the usage has dropped so much it got omitted in an update, or the usage has dropped so much they just don't care because it doesn't interfere with any of the ship-based comm/signaling systems, so they now allow them.

In this case, I think most people are saying they may not be prohibited, but they aren't as practical as you might think compared to some of the other tech now available - the HUB app chat feature, or even just usage of the wifi for other communication apps if everyone has the package anyway.

The HUB chat feature was not reliable when it first came out (I used the chat feature for one cruise back in early 2018, IIRC, and it was hit or miss), but from what I gather, the wifi coverage aboard and in enclosed decks (in cabins) has improved, as well as the notification functionality.

Here's a thread from the RCI forum about this very topic, and summarizes it the same way:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/42441-walkie-talkie/

And NCL has banned them, as mentioned in the above post, so not an unrealistic thing to ask:

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items    

Carnival's prohibited items list is extensive and exhaustive. If it's not listed there, then it's allowed to be brought onboard. I can't speak for what other cruise lines do.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2024 at 4:48 PM, chengkp75 said:

Yeah, they work in most areas, as long as you can see each other.

No, ours worked in the underdeck -7-154. Not perfectly but good enough. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

On 7/29/2024 at 3:14 PM, Purvis1231 said:

How are walkie-talkies different than people talking on their cell phones?

I don't hear too many people talking on their phones onboard. I do hear people yelling in the walkie talkies and the damned beeping during the shows.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

I don't hear too many people talking on their phones onboard. I do hear people yelling in the walkie talkies and the damned beeping during the shows.

As a counterpoint, I have occasionally seen and heard people talking on their cell phones on cruises - mostly while we were docked in port.  I have rarely seen or heard walkie talkies, and then mostly by crew (or people who look like crew).