Live from my Norwegian Sky Canada/New England cruise 10/9/2024 to 10/19/2024 Quebec to Baltimore.

In 14 days, I will be on a plane flying to Quebec. Now that my nephew's wedding is over, I am now focused on the cruise. I will begin packing this week. I have been thinking about outfits that I want to wear and monitoring the wedding. Things I must bring: rain jacket, good walking shoes, my Snuggie (love to wrap myself up as I sit on the balcony in the evening), jeans and T-shirts for ports, a dress just for dressing up a bit for Le Bistro, shorts (we had very warm weather the last time I went to Canada), and some layering items in case the ship is cooler than I like. I just want to keep it simple and not over pack like I have done previously. I am sure I will pack and repack up to the day we leave. 

• Like 4

Hi Denise!  I just found your thread thanks to the tip from @Cruiserclon the Daily. I love your enthusiasm!

Question— do you know which dock in Quebec City your ship will be?  I’m not sure if you are aware that there are two docks. Your hotel is right in between both docks. If you are at Quai 30 you probably will want a shuttle or taxi. The buildings there prevent a direct route to the ship. If the ship uses the warf near the old town area it is an easier walk. Here is the website: https://www.portquebec.ca/en/

I know you said you aren’t a foodie but we all love to eat, right?  There is a lovely place in Old Town QC https://aupetitcoinbreton.ca/en/ that you might like. I had crepes but they have other things too. Debbie @dfish & her sister loved the French Onion soup. And the salads looked wonderful. 

Saguenay is a cute little town and walkable. I’ve been twice and just walked around both times. The “show” at the dock is early, soon after docking, so go early to see it all. We missed it last time because we waited onboard too long. 

Two years ago we sailed in October and it was cold, especially in Saguenay. In QC there were some very cool days and a few warm days. 

I am excited for you and can’t wait for your live from reporting and pictures!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On to the food recs from me, because why not!!!

I haven't been to Quebec City, but I have had maple syrup frozen on snow. It's fabulous! I know it won't quite be winter time, but if you find any establishment with this, it's a must. Personally, I prefer mine off the slopes at Mont Tremblant, but that will still be another month or two. 

And, when in Quebec, one must have poutine. Mmmmmm greasy and crispy fried taters with fatty gravy, poured (no drizzling here) over salty, squeaky fresh cheese curds. Oh, I could go on forever! Thank you Quebec for the best food ever!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Hi Denise!  I just found your thread thanks to the tip from @Cruiserclon the Daily. I love your enthusiasm!

Question— do you know which dock in Quebec City your ship will be?  I’m not sure if you are aware that there are two docks. Your hotel is right in between both docks. If you are at Quai 30 you probably will want a shuttle or taxi. The buildings there prevent a direct route to the ship. If the ship uses the warf near the old town area it is an easier walk. Here is the website: https://www.portquebec.ca/en/

I know you said you aren’t a foodie but we all love to eat, right?  There is a lovely place in Old Town QC https://aupetitcoinbreton.ca/en/ that you might like. I had crepes but they have other things too. Debbie @dfish & her sister loved the French Onion soup. And the salads looked wonderful. 

Saguenay is a cute little town and walkable. I’ve been twice and just walked around both times. The “show” at the dock is early, soon after docking, so go early to see it all. We missed it last time because we waited onboard too long. 

Two years ago we sailed in October and it was cold, especially in Saguenay. In QC there were some very cool days and a few warm days. 

I am excited for you and can’t wait for your live from reporting and pictures! 

Hi there. I saw on the port website that we are at Qual 22 which is closer to my hotel. The hotel offers to take the luggage to the port for us. Thank you for the restaurant suggestion. I want to try as many restaurants as possible during our trip. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

What is the "show" and what will I be missing?

For anyone interested in our port addresses, I got these from NCL today.

Quebec City, Quay 22, 84 Rue Dalhousie, Québec City, Quebec G1K 4B2, Canada. www.portquebec.ca

Saguenay (La Baie), Quebec, Canada: The Bagotville Wharf/ The Cruise Pavillion; 900 Mars Street, La Baie, Québec, Canada

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island: 1 Weymouth Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 7M8

Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia: Sydney Marine Terminal; 60 Esplanade, Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia B1P 1A1, Canada

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada: Halifax Seaport - Pier 20/22; 1215 Marginal Road, Halifax, NS

Portland, Maine: Portland Ocean Terminal/ Ocean Gateway; 40 Commercial Street, 14 Maine State Pier, Portland, ME 04101

Bar Harbor, Maine: Harbor Place; 1 Town Pier Bar Harbor, ME 04609

Boston, Massachusetts; Flynn Cruiseport Boston, 1 Black Falcon Avenue, South Boston, MA 02210

Baltimore, Cruise Maryland Terminal, 2001 E. McComas Street, Baltimore, MD, 21230.  It's 10.5 miles from pier to BWI.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Denise T said:

Hi there. I saw on the port website that we are at Qual 22 which is closer to my hotel. The hotel offers to take the luggage to the port for us. Thank you for the restaurant suggestion. I want to try as many restaurants as possible during our trip. 

That is good!  Quai 22 is the “pretty” dock and easier to get to. I would take your hotel’s offer up about taking luggage to the port for you. The views are very good from that area too. 

Oh! I almost forgot. Make sure to watch at sail away for Montmorency Falls. It’s gorgeous and it’s also bigger, depth wise, than Niagara Falls. I know it looks like white rock from this picture but it really is a waterfall.

image.jpeg.a9a56a306eabe623be1df33d230a6357.jpeg

3 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

What is the "show" and what will I be missing?

Locals dress up in period costumes and demonstrate ways of life back in the day. There might be more, such as dancing, but I didn’t see that part. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2024 at 7:41 PM, kaysha2004 said:

For anyone interested in our port addresses, I got these from NCL today.

Quebec City, Quay 22, 84 Rue Dalhousie, Québec City, Quebec G1K 4B2, Canada. www.portquebec.ca

Saguenay (La Baie), Quebec, Canada: The Bagotville Wharf/ The Cruise Pavillion; 900 Mars Street, La Baie, Québec, Canada

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island: 1 Weymouth Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 7M8

Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia: Sydney Marine Terminal; 60 Esplanade, Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia B1P 1A1, Canada

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada: Halifax Seaport - Pier 20/22; 1215 Marginal Road, Halifax, NS

Portland, Maine: Portland Ocean Terminal/ Ocean Gateway; 40 Commercial Street, 14 Maine State Pier, Portland, ME 04101

Bar Harbor, Maine: Harbor Place; 1 Town Pier Bar Harbor, ME 04609

Boston, Massachusetts; Flynn Cruiseport Boston, 1 Black Falcon Avenue, South Boston, MA 02210

Baltimore, Cruise Maryland Terminal, 2001 E. McComas Street, Baltimore, MD, 21230.  It's 10.5 miles from pier to BWI.

Thank you. These are helpful. 

13 days out. I will start packing this weekend. Wrapping up some last-minute things in regard to work. I will have to do some work but making sure it is the bare minimum of stuff. Getting coverage for some of my classes. Everything else is set. Our port arrival time is for 11:00 am. Boarding documents say the ship boarding starts at 12. We shall see how strict that is. The ship will have overnighted so hopefully we can get on board before 12. I remember when I sailed on the Pearl out of Boston two years ago, we had to wait for a bit before boarding. No worries. My first drink on board will be an Aperol Spritz. That is my favorite. Not sure where we will go for lunch. I have always enjoyed the Great Outdoors so perhaps there. Doing my happy dance right now. 

• Like 3

8 days until I fly into Quebec. 10 days until I board the ship. I anticipate that this is one slow week. I have to see if I can get my medication filled early as I will be away when I usually fill it. We shall see what insurance has to say about it. Wish me luck. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2024 at 8:14 AM, Denise T said:

13 days out. I will start packing this weekend. Wrapping up some last-minute things in regard to work. I will have to do some work but making sure it is the bare minimum of stuff. Getting coverage for some of my classes. Everything else is set. Our port arrival time is for 11:00 am. Boarding documents say the ship boarding starts at 12. We shall see how strict that is. The ship will have overnighted so hopefully we can get on board before 12. I remember when I sailed on the Pearl out of Boston two years ago, we had to wait for a bit before boarding. No worries. My first drink on board will be an Aperol Spritz. That is my favorite. Not sure where we will go for lunch. I have always enjoyed the Great Outdoors so perhaps there. Doing my happy dance right now. 

My wife was very excited to see the Sky has a Great Outdoors and Spinnaker Lounge as those were her two favourite places on the Gem. The three Breakaway class ships we’ve sailed on since the Gem had no observation lounge at all and the Great Outdoors was replaced by Spice H2O which doesn’t have the same easy aft views since there’s a huge TV screen taking up most of the space at the back of the ship.

We’ll be in the main dining room for embarkation day lunch, as is our tradition. It’s usually very quiet in there and helps kill a chunk of the time until the rooms are ready. I think I already know what I’ll be ordering since the embarkation day lunch menu is always the same. 

1 hour ago, boffoboffo said:

My wife was very excited to see the Sky has a Great Outdoors and Spinnaker Lounge as those were her two favourite places on the Gem. The three Breakaway class ships we’ve sailed on since the Gem had no observation lounge at all and the Great Outdoors was replaced by Spice H2O which doesn’t have the same easy aft views since there’s a huge TV screen taking up most of the space at the back of the ship.

We’ll be in the main dining room for embarkation day lunch, as is our tradition. It’s usually very quiet in there and helps kill a chunk of the time until the rooms are ready. I think I already know what I’ll be ordering since the embarkation day lunch menu is always the same. 

When my sister and I were on the Pearl in 2022, we would have breakfast in the Great Outdoors. and spent a lot of time in Spinnakers for trivia and music. These are the two best places on ships that have them. 

• Like 1

9 days to go! Have some last-minute errands. Getting the car inspected on Saturday. Pets going in for boarding. Hoping to get medication refills early. Depends on the insurance. I am hoping that the Internet on the ship is good as I am hoping to post daily with pictures. 

Here is the thing about my live. I am not going in looking for problems. I am sailing on a mass market cruise line, and I am not expecting perfection because nothing is ever perfect. My goal is to have a relaxing and enjoyable time. Yes, I will point out any issues and provide realistic ways to work around them. I did my research. I know what the ship looks like and its limitations (smaller ship overall, smaller buffet). I know for sure that I will not starve on this cruise, and I will get lots of exercise. One of the best things I like about the Sky and the Jewel class ships is that wrap around promenade. Every cruise I have walked laps after eating. Helps control the blood sugars which is important as a diabetic. 

So, get ready. Starting 10/7/2024 I will be documenting the trip. We fly to Quebec that day and the adventure finally begins!

• Like 2

I was on Sky from 9/7 to 9/28, cruises #41 and 42 for me. Ship is very clean, fantastic crew.

Dining options are limited. MDR breakfast time varies depending on port arrival time. Only port day lunch option is Garden Cafe; Local does not serve breakfast or lunch. Specialties are sushi, Bistro, Cagney's, Cucina. 

In the future I would only do a sailing that long on Sky for a very unique itin or if it was crazy cheap. 

• CC Help Michell changed the title to Live from my Norwegian Sky Canada/New England cruise 10/9/2024 to 10/19/2024 Quebec to Baltimore.

8 days out. Let's get this live started! First, I just received from NCL an itinerary change. Changes were highlighted for Saguenay, Charlottetown, Portland, and Boston. 

Screenshot2024-10-01142739.thumb.png.2353f42321803181e8e500c1fb5a3aad.png

Saguenay we are leaving half hour early. Charlottetown we are arriving and leaving 15 minutes later. Portland we are arriving half an hour later and Boston leaving an hour earlier. Hmmm. Less time in Boston but we shall see. I am doing the hop on hop off there so we can make that work. 

So, first thing I will start with here is my flight to Quebec City. Can I say that I love the Air Canada app. Answered all my questions. I booked the flight through United, but the plane is operated by Air Canada. I was unsure about who to check in with and whether or not we have to collect bags in Toronto and go through customs and security. On the Air Canada app, it tells us exactly what we need to do in a step-by-step manner. Get on the plan in Philadelphia. Disembark in Toronto. We do not collect our bags. Just go through customs and then get on the next flight to Quebec. Easy peasy. I am going to use ArriveCam for the Declaration forms which will make things quicker as well. I feel a little bit less anxious with this knowledge. 

We will probably take a taxi from the airport to our hotel in Quebec. Depending on how we feel after flying, we may go out and find some dinner. But that may change. More to come!

• Like 1