Is Princess PLUS worth it for me personally?

20 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

When I cruise on Princess, 4 drinks would be considered a slow day only because I had hit double digits the previous day.  Over the course of a 14 day cruise, hitting 100 drinks is doable at 7.2 per day.  If this is considered heavy by some people, I could care less.  Some people can average 11 a day and hit 150 over the course of a 14 day cruise.  As usual it all comes down to perspective

What he said.  Amen.  Full stop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

Moderate drinking is: For women, 1 drink or less a day for women. 

if it's less than 1 drink a day - so, about zero? why is it called moderate drinking? I drink zero alcohol drinks per day, but, according to this definition, I am a moderate drinker. What?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

if it's less than 1 drink a day - so, about zero? why is it called moderate drinking? I drink zero alcohol drinks per day, but, according to this definition, I am a moderate drinker. What?

Maybe they mean a small wine which is less than "one" drink.  Or maybe it's for those who say they have a glass of alcohol 5 days a week?

I'm sure it is a statistical thing.    

I do know it is better to drink alcohol one day and take the next day off. So if people say "I only drink 4 days a week"  they still have to drill down further to find out if it's 4 days in a row or not. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

Maybe they mean a small wine which is less than "one" drink.  Or maybe it's for those who say they have a glass of alcohol 5 days a week?

I'm sure it is a statistical thing.    

I do know it is better to drink alcohol one day and take the next day off. So if people say "I only drink 4 days a week"  they still have to drill down further to find out if it's 4 days in a row or not. 

I&S is just torquing on the 'definition' of moderate drinker.  A non-drinker is not part of the drinking fraternity... light, moderate, heavy or excessive as the case may be.

Edited by d9704011

On 8/6/2024 at 1:50 PM, Retired-N-Happy said:

We obviously have opposite opinions as to what constitutes a money grab.

About money grabs.  My understanding of cruise economics is that the cruise fare more or less covers the cost of paying for and operating the ship, and that they make profits when passengers but other stuff.  Hence, the constant attempts to sell us stuff, and the further efforts to monetize things.  But, the stuff that was included in the fare many years ago is still included: room, meals, entertainment and pools.  I recognize that cruise fares are a pretty good deal for what you get.  It is not surprising that cruise lines that are not always trying to sell you stuff have fares that start at about double what we pay on mass market lines--they don't need to sell you what you have already bought.  So while I am wary of "deals" on board, I have learned to tune it out by remembering that I am getting a pretty good vacation for a pretty good price.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JordanF said:

About money grabs.  My understanding of cruise economics is that the cruise fare more or less covers the cost of paying for and operating the ship, and that they make profits when passengers but other stuff.  Hence, the constant attempts to sell us stuff, and the further efforts to monetize things.  But, the stuff that was included in the fare many years ago is still included: room, meals, entertainment and pools.  I recognize that cruise fares are a pretty good deal for what you get.  It is not surprising that cruise lines that are not always trying to sell you stuff have fares that start at about double what we pay on mass market lines--they don't need to sell you what you have already bought.  So while I am wary of "deals" on board, I have learned to tune it out by remembering that I am getting a pretty good vacation for a pretty good price.

The cruise fare covering costs and the peripheral spend on board going towards profits is indeed true, but at the same time the peripheral spend had to include the price difference between a basic inside cabin and a mini suite.  I can stay in an inside cabin and also pay an extra 80 per day for the Premier package and be spending over 1000 less for the two of us than a couple that stays in a mini suite, pays their gratuities and spends zero extra on board.

Now, is the money grab with me because the two of us paid for Premier or with couple B because they decided to pay for a mini suite?  I personally think it's more of a money grab with the mini suite.  At least we're getting all of the extra drinks, food, WiFi, pictures etc with our peripheral spend, while couple B gets a larger cabin with a balcony.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:
19 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

The cruise fare covering costs and the peripheral spend on board going towards profits is indeed true, but at the same time the peripheral spend had to include the price difference between a basic inside cabin and a mini suite.  I can stay in an inside cabin and also pay an extra 80 per day for the Premier package and be spending over 1000 less for the two of us than a couple that stays in a mini suite, pays their gratuities and spends zero extra on board.

Now, is the money grab with me because the two of us paid for Premier or with couple B because they decided to pay for a mini suite?  I personally think it's more of a money grab with the mini suite.  At least we're getting all of the extra drinks, food, WiFi, pictures etc with our peripheral spend, while couple B gets a larger cabin with a balcony.  

OK--let's dispense with "money grab."  It makes a legitimate thing, offering to sell you stuff, sound negative, and I don't think it typically is.  After all, no one is making you buy product after your massage.  

So let's start a cruise at its most basic--an inside cabin with no packages.  For us--we like balconies, so we choose to pay for that.  My wife loves the thermal suite, so I buy her a pass for the entire cruise (it's her money too, but I handle the logistics).  Depending on where we are going, we might buy excursions.  Since we don't want wifi and don't drink much, we skip the packages but do buy individual drinks.  On our last Celebrity cruise, my wife did the glass blowing.  We might do one dinner in a fancy restaurant, but the MDR suits us just fine.  All of these things add to the cost of that basic inside cabin.  But, we get to pay for what we want, and don't have to pay for what we don't want (expensive spa treatments, art, gambling, shopping, suites, etc...).  Rather than a money grab, I think that is all kind of awesome.

Edited by JordanF
Correction
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, JordanF said:

OK--let's dispense with "money grab."  It makes a legitimate thing, offering to sell you stuff, sound negative, and I don't think it typically is.  After all, no one is making you buy product after your massage.  

So let's start a cruise at its most basic--an inside cabin with no packages.  For us--we like balconies, so we choose to pay for that.  My wife loves the thermal suite, so I buy her a pass for the entire cruise (it's her money too, but I handle the logistics).  Depending on where we are going, we might buy excursions.  Since we don't want wifi and don't drink much, we skip the packages but do buy individual drinks.  On our last Celebrity cruise, my wife did the glass blowing.  We might do one dinner in a fancy restaurant, but the MDR suits us just fine.  All of these things add to the cost of that basic inside cabin.  But, we get to pay for what we want, and don't have to pay for what we don't want (expensive spa treatments, art, gambling, shopping, suites, etc...).  Rather than a money grab, I think that is all kind of awesome.

We can agree to disagree regarding the semantics as to what constitutes a money grab.  We like a basic cabin and will pay extra for Plus and extra for Premier on the Sphere Class.  You enjoy paying for a balcony and other extra amenities that make your cruise a better value for you.

• Like 1

Just came across an interesting article about how cruise lines are making a lot of money off of on board spending (including items purchased before the actual cruise that are in addition to the cruise fare).  Carnival, which owns Princess, reports that passengers average $83.41 per day in these expenses, and that the profit for that is $57.57 per day.  That's 69% profit on drinks, drink packages, internet, excursions, etc...  Many on this thread have called Princess packages the best deal at sea--and to back that up, Norwegian gets passengers to spend $126.85 per day and RCCL gets $92.44.  Here is a link to the entire article.  https://www.thestreet.com/travel/royal-caribbean-carnival-and-norwegian-share-key-onboard-change 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JordanF said:

Just came across an interesting article about how cruise lines are making a lot of money off of on board spending (including items purchased before the actual cruise that are in addition to the cruise fare).  Carnival, which owns Princess, reports that passengers average $83.41 per day in these expenses, and that the profit for that is $57.57 per day.  That's 69% profit on drinks, drink packages, internet, excursions, etc...  Many on this thread have called Princess packages the best deal at sea--and to back that up, Norwegian gets passengers to spend $126.85 per day and RCCL gets $92.44.  Here is a link to the entire article.  https://www.thestreet.com/travel/royal-caribbean-carnival-and-norwegian-share-key-onboard-change 

The components of the Plus package @ 60 per day would cost double that per day on Carnival and Royal.  

On 8/6/2024 at 3:37 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I know I'm out of touch with typical drinking patterns in the US when I go to the doctor and fill out the health questionnaire where the choices under "how much do you drink" are (a) Zero, (b) 1-2 drinks a day, (c) even more than that, etc.

Yeah, there is nothing between being a teetotaler and drinking every day. 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, all my drinking is social drinking so, yeah, on vacation, I definitely drink more than at home. In particular, I like to try the specialty drinks that many touristy places have. I like trying new things on vacation and drinking themed vodka martinis I can't get at home qualifies.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, JordanF said:

Interesting but somehow I can still enjoy myself even without the extra's that the packages provide. 

Still, Princess wants to entice me to buy into the packages by including more things that I don't need. 😄 I suppose it make those that do, feel better about their expenditures.

It might be that their getting ready for a price increase?

2 hours ago, 555 said:

Interesting but somehow I can still enjoy myself even without the extra's that the packages provide. 

Still, Princess wants to entice me to buy into the packages by including more things that I don't need. 😄 I suppose it make those that do, feel better about their expenditures.

It might be that their getting ready for a price increase?

If the Plus package only consisted of drinks and gratuities and nothing else, I would still see great value in it because I compare it to the offerings on the other mainstream lines that we have cruised on, namely Celebrity, Carnival, Royal, NCL and MSC.  So if there are a plethora of other inclusions with the package it's not going to impact my purchase or certainly not make me feel better about my expenditure.  

Everyone needs to go with the flow and pay for what brings them value.  Supposedly 75% of Princess cruisers buy a package, but some in the 25% dispute those figures.  Others think nothing of spending an extra 1000 per person on a mini suite over a basic inside cabin.  We wouldn't think of it.  I would much rather cruise more often with a package than cruise less often in an upgraded cabin and be stuck without all of the drink inclusions.  We use the cabin for sleeping, showering and dressing, nothing more.  Others like to relax on their balcony, we prefer to relax with an adult beverage in hand at Good Spirits at Sea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Everyone needs to go with the flow and pay for what brings them value.  Supposedly 75% of Princess cruisers buy a package, but some in the 25% dispute those figures.  Others think nothing of spending an extra 1000 per person on a mini suite over a basic inside cabin.  We wouldn't think of it.  I would much rather cruise more often with a package than cruise less often in an upgraded cabin and be stuck without all of the drink inclusions.  We use the cabin for sleeping, showering and dressing, nothing more.  Others like to relax on their balcony, we prefer to relax with an adult beverage in hand at Good Spirits at Sea.

Yep everyone's different.  My wife and I not only prefer a larger cabin and a balcony, but our annual cruise time is not limited by cost; it is limited by time.  Current life demands allow us to be away for two separate 7-day sailings per year, and that's it. Cost isn't a limiter so there's no trade off where we could cruise more if we spent less.  We can cruise 14 days per year whether we spend $5,000 or $10.00 per cruise.  Given this limitation, there's a degree of "if you're gonna do it, do it right" mentality.  Everyone's situation is different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Others like to relax on their balcony, we prefer to relax with an adult beverage in hand at Good Spirits at Sea.

Yea, I've tried that but the noise/music forced me away. Our balcony cabin is much more comfortable. ☺️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Everyone needs to go with the flow and pay for what brings them value.  Supposedly 75% of Princess cruisers buy a package, but some in the 25% dispute those figures. 

I am in the 25% and do not dispute this.  When we go to buy our a la carte drinks, it always seems like everyone else getting drinks is on the package.  Even though they do not work for us, it i plain to see that they are very popular--the combo of it being a good deal for some people and/or a nice state of mind for others.

1 hour ago, JordanF said:

I am in the 25% and do not dispute this.  When we go to buy our a la carte drinks, it always seems like everyone else getting drinks is on the package.  Even though they do not work for us, it i plain to see that they are very popular--the combo of it being a good deal for some people and/or a nice state of mind for others.

Setting aside the debatable 75/25 split don't you think it's much more likely that those with a package will be ordering drinks than those without?

26 minutes ago, d9704011 said:
1 hour ago, JordanF said:

Expand  

Setting aside the debatable 75/25 split don't you think it's much more likely that those with a package will be ordering drinks than those without?

For sure! 

12 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Goes without saying.  Those that don't buy a package could be teetotalers or they could suffice with their wine they bring in or their Elite set up if they don't swap it out for water or soda.

5 hours ago, 555 said:

Yea, I've tried that but the noise/music forced me away. Our balcony cabin is much more comfortable. ☺️

Same! We had to leave because their presentation was unbearably loud.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Same! We had to leave because their presentation was unbearably loud.

Hopefully more people will think like you when we sail on the Sun, Star and Enchanted over the next 15 months since that would guarantee us seats.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Hopefully more people will think like you when we sail on the Sun, Star and Enchanted over the next 15 months since that would guarantee us seats.

there were plenty of seats available. The Good Spirits presentation time was loud to the extreme. Maybe it was a one off, but it was painful.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

there were plenty of seats available. The Good Spirits presentation time was loud to the extreme. Maybe it was a one off, but it was painful.

Spent 14 nights on the Discovery there as well as another 14 nights on the Majestic.  The location on the Discovery was much larger.

Thank you all.

I finally booked PLUS due to now knowing that one Virgin Colada costs insane 15 $ plus service charge. I usually have one if not two per day, which would already be 60 $ including daily gratuities for CA cabin. Service charges not even included (as they are in PLUS as per my understanding)..

Second valid argument for me is the "do I really want to think about saving 10 $ each day when on vacation?". I think I don´t. 

• Like 8

Doing a rough total on your drinks you are going to spend roughly $40-$45 a day. Then you need to add in crew appreciation of $16-$18 bringing hour daily total to about $56-$63. That doesn’t count any premium desserts.