Istanbul atm near galataport cruise terminal

I would like to get some TL but a small amount. Has anyone used an atm near but not in the port? I find things located in airports or terminals usually have larger fees

I have just returned from Istanbul and there are ATM's at many places where there are tourists. They are usually in stand alone blocks of four or five ATM's from different banks in portable sheds/containers. If you are going to Sultanahmet at the Hippodrome at the end near the tram line and Hagia Sophia there are two or three of these groups of ATM's. The couple of ATM's I used charged a 10% fee on the amount you withdraw.

5 hours ago, sheshe01 said:

I would like to get some TL but a small amount. Has anyone used an atm near but not in the port? I find things located in airports or terminals usually have larger fees

You might want to just have your local bank get it for you. 

I will if I can. One of my banks requires a minimum of $200 per currency. I do not need that much. My other bank also has $200 but is doesnt state per currency so when I order I will see if I can get the small amount of Lira with my Euro but planning ahead in case not possible

9 hours ago, sheshe01 said:

I will if I can. One of my banks requires a minimum of $200 per currency. I do not need that much. My other bank also has $200 but is doesnt state per currency so when I order I will see if I can get the small amount of Lira with my Euro but planning ahead in case not possible

Just an FYI when we were in Istanbul (really Constantinople) I used cards everywhere and did not have any issues even in the Grand Bazaar. I know I did not get any TL, but did have some Euros. 

When using European ATMS, seek out those that are owned by banks!  Just like in most parts of the world, there are also privately owned ATMs (such as Travelex) that might impose additional fees and give you a lousy exchange rate.  Bank ATMs usually give you the current international rate of exchange (+ about 1%).  There can also be fees from your ATM/Debit card issuing bank.  Here in the USA there are plenty of smaller banks/credit unions that do not add extra fees, so this is something worth exploring for frequent travelers.

Also be aware that ATM issuing banks do impose daily withdrawal limits (which vary by bank).  Know your own limits and whether there is a way to get them increased.  For example, my credit union has an app (on my phone) that I can use to increase the limit for just that particular day.  It is a nice option when I might need 1000+ Euros at one time.

Hank

• Like 1