An Adults only Queen ?

Red Ray

10 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

Oh for an adults only Cunard Queen....

As an ex-teacher, my feelings towards children are usually fear and loathing, but, oddly, I like seeing them enjoying themselves on Cunard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

As an ex-teacher, my feelings towards children are usually fear and loathing, but, oddly, I like seeing them enjoying themselves on Cunard.

Not for me I'm afraid. I've seen far too much unsupervised bad  behaviour on cruises by the little darlings. They may be inferior in most ways but at least P&O and Ambassador recognise that not everyone wants to spend 14 or more days in close proximity to other people's children.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red Ray said:

Not for me I'm afraid. I've seen far too much unsupervised bad  behaviour on cruises by the little darlings. They may be inferior in most ways but at least P&O and Ambassador recognise that not everyone wants to spend 14 or more days in close proximity to other people's children.

I suppose, having spent so much of my professional life in close proximity to other people’s children, I may be inured. And I’ve never really encountered badly behaved ones, well, a group of loud teenagers who were accidentally keeping me awake, a group of teenagers who took over a whirlpool, (both on QE2 years ago), and a very sulky girl in QG more recently, but then you should have seen her mother. Not bad for 25+ years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

Oh for an adults only Cunard Queen....

I know where you're coming from but some adults are far worse than kids and the reason most kids are terrible is because of the adults' skills at parenting.  We've been hearing about a lot of adults on this site, even famous ones, throwing hissy fits when they don't get their own way.  Plus 'adults only' anything these days can translate to some as hedonism allowed as a starting point.

I'm Imagining how Cunard would ambiguously word the 'hedonism code of conduct' and how irate people might get when it's not adhered to... sorry I went a bit off piste...which incidentally is allowed within the new code!

• Like 1

I believe teens and younger recognize they are on a “grown-up” ship rather than one with waterslides and go-carts and they act accordingly. The key for kids is to keep them occupied and that’s what the Kid’s Clubs are for. The worst I’ve seen were the bored teen or two on a Crossing. Alaska is great for kids with plenty of active port stops. 

22 minutes ago, NE John said:

I believe teens and younger recognize they are on a “grown-up” ship rather than one with waterslides and go-carts and they act accordingly. The key for kids is to keep them occupied and that’s what the Kid’s Clubs are for. The worst I’ve seen were the bored teen or two on a Crossing. Alaska is great for kids with plenty of active port stops. 

Yes, invariably I see quite young children behaving impeccably in the restaurant, and the staff treating them with courtesy and kindness, which could have something to do with it.

• Like 1

As we like to cruise mainly Spring and summer, we've been on countless Cunard  cruises during school holidays and as an ex teacher, I am always delighted to see and hear such well behaved Cunard children.

They are a delight to behold...that's if you ever see them during the day.

Hardly saw any around Annie last week but I know 'they' were there as I saw them on my Lido visit and could hear the shrieks of laughter coming from their Zone when I went up to deck 12 to change my library books.

Love school holidays on Cunard.

• Like 2

It's possible as well that a percentage of these younger people can become future fare-paying passengers themselves.

I've mentioned before, but I travelled on Cunard as a child & teen, and it has transitioned into me going as an adult. I highly doubt this would be the case if I hadn't gone during those times.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, MylesS said:

It's possible as well that a percentage of these younger people can become future fare-paying passengers themselves.

I've mentioned before, but I travelled on Cunard as a child & teen, and it has transitioned into me going as an adult. I highly doubt this would be the case if I hadn't gone during those times.

And the way you are going, by the time you are 75, you will be emulating Bea Muller, and living aboard. Less fierce though. 😀

• Haha 2

Yes, I bumped into Bea Muller a few times. What a cantankerous old nuisance.

On one occasion, she demanded that the music in the pub area (QE2) was changed because she didn't like it. The bar maid (Jenny) explained that she didn't choose the music, and couldn't change it. Bea was most annoyed and stormed off to find Capt McNaught,

The problem was that she had been on the ship for so long. that she thought she owned it. The staff did not like her one bit.

1 minute ago, BigMac1953 said:

On one occasion, she demanded that the music in the pub area (QE2) was changed because she didn't like it. The bar maid (Jenny) explained that she didn't choose the music, and couldn't change it. Bea was most annoyed and stormed off to find Capt McNaught,

The problem was that she had been on the ship for so long. that she thought she owned it. The staff did not like her one bit.

Yes, she thought she owned the ship, and the crew were her personal servants. I imagine she got worse over time.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

As we like to cruise mainly Spring and summer, we've been on countless Cunard  cruises during school holidays and as an ex teacher, I am always delighted to see and hear such well behaved Cunard children.

They are a delight to behold...that's if you ever see them during the day.

Hardly saw any around Annie last week but I know 'they' were there as I saw them on my Lido visit and could hear the shrieks of laughter coming from their Zone when I went up to deck 12 to change my library books.

Love school holidays on Cunard.

Trying to read quietly in the library was nigh on impossible with the racket coming from the Kids Zone immediately above. Very poor design.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

Trying to read quietly in the library was nigh on impossible with the racket coming from the Kids Zone immediately above. Very poor design.

The Kids Zone is not above - it's the pickleball court. But yes, I agree the bangs from the (I assume) jumping are crazy.

Edited by MylesS
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MylesS said:

The Kids Zone is not above - it's the pickleball court. But yes, I agree the bangs from the (I assume) jumping are crazy.

I stand corrected. But it's still bloody annoying!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Annoying yes, but it's not the children. 🙂

I'll continue to cruise outwith school holidays and/or adult only ships thank you. You're more than welcome to share your holidays with the little darlings!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

I'll continue to cruise outwith school holidays and/or adult only ships thank you. You're more than welcome to share your holidays with the little darlings!

Thank you. I'm sure we will continue to enjoy our holidays, however many children there will be onboard. They and their parents bring the average age down and as I said, it's a delight to see Cunard's next generation. Suits us. 🙂

• Like 3

Thankfully we are all different or it would be a very boring world! Btw our next cruise is 36 nights on your favourite ship next year 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

Thankfully we are all different or it would be a very boring world! Btw our next cruise is 36 nights on your favourite ship next year 😊

I will try desperately not to show any envy or jealousy! 🙁

Enjoy, she's very special.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

What ever happened to Bea Muller who was the lady who lived aboard the QE2? The last I heard of her was when the QE2 was sold, she was not happy about that and wrote a letter to Micky Arison who is the chairman of Carnival Corporation the parent company that owns Cunard. Bea was offered cabin space aboard either QM2 or Queen Victoria but she turned down both ships. I did see her aboard QM2 in 2010. And does anyone know what ever happened to another elderly woman known as the QE2 Diva? She was very talented in singing opera and it was the wife of one of the Cunard captains that gave her the name QE2 Diva.

Posted (edited)

Oh dear... does QUEEN ANNE have "pickleball" too.... I think henceforth I will make the sign of the cross everytime I see or hear of this vessel and run in the opposite direction.

As for Cunard children, I have seldom encountered any who were not at least as well behaved (and often better dressed) than some of their adult counterparts.  Then again, you lot have probably never sailed Tourist Class on LEONARDO DA VINCI and RAFFAELLO and not have the slightest idea of bambini ferali italiani so my bar is set very low. But I was aged 16-17 when I sailed in these ships so I guess I was a demi bambino myself.  

You don't often see young gentlemen and young ladies in evening attire anywhere in the world except on a Cunarder. So may they continue to be welcomed aboard. 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 3