Fitting cpap on nightstand?

craig01020

13 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I am sorry you are having a problem with such an expensive device.

I ran a polysomnographic lab for a time. The AirMini came out about the time I retired, but there are some things you can try to address the noise and humidity on this model. I hope one or more of these suggestions will help:

https://youtu.be/vUOZceun4fc?feature=shared

Thanks, but I've given up and relegated it to the closet. I'm satisfied with my regular device. I was just hoping to reduce my travel packing requirements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I just recently purchased one of the ResMed AirMini travel CPAPs. It does not have a water chamber like my Resmed 10. I cannot use it at all! Many people don't like the increased noise level...I finally got used to that when I swapped out the normal mask setup with the mask that I use with the 10. But...I simply cannot get past the Sahara desert created in my throat not having any humidity.  I'm stuck with over $1000 worth of very nice CPAP. Would love to sell it!

See if you can find a Heat Moisture Exchanger (HME). It goes between the CPAP and you. Catches the moisture from your exhalation and you breathe it back in on inhalation. Inexpensive and worth a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

See if you can find a Heat Moisture Exchanger (HME). It goes between the CPAP and you. Catches the moisture from your exhalation and you breathe it back in on inhalation. Inexpensive and worth a try.

My whole point in trying the AirMini was to reduce the amount of stuff I had to carry. After adding this external stuff I would be carrying more than my regular unit! I will probably investigate this for use strictly as a backup to my regular CPAP but as far as travel...nope.

Posted (edited)

This kind of thread is what is so helpful about these boards. Some of the topics may not be as useful but some really are. My cruise in March will be my first with a CPAP so I'm going to come back to all this closer to that time and be sure I'm all set. I ended up driving up to the mountains and staying in a cabin right after I got my CPAP and it was interesting to travel with it the first time just by car and stay the night somewhere else besides home. This next cruise will be my first flights and cruise with a CPAP. Seems manageable. Lots of you do it all the time I can see.

Edited by desertdwellingsailor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, desertdwellingsailor said:

Lots of you do it all the time I can see.

I traveled with mine as an Airline pilot for my last 9 yrs till retirement. First thing after taking off my shirt in the hotel, I'd set up my machine to be sure I had a plug available. On waking, first thing I'd do is pack it back up so I wouldn't forget anything. Nice now to stay in a place for longer than a night or two. You'll get used to it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

My whole point in trying the AirMini was to reduce the amount of stuff I had to carry. After adding this external stuff I would be carrying more than my regular unit! I will probably investigate this for use strictly as a backup to my regular CPAP but as far as travel...nope.

Not really. A HME is the size of a toilet paper tube.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Not really. A HME is the size of a toilet paper tube.

Can you give me a link or a good search term for one that works with an Airmini? The *only* one that I found appears to be intended for permanent,  home use because it looked like a crock pot and was about half the size of a crock pot!

14 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Can you give me a link or a good search term for one that works with an Airmini? The *only* one that I found appears to be intended for permanent,  home use because it looked like a crock pot and was about half the size of a crock pot!

Just did a quick Google and used "HME for CPAP". There were a LOT of links. Amazon has them. The top of the Google search has a whole row of companies that sell them. Take a look. May or may not work for you.

DH uses CPAP and stopped using the humidifier years ago (too wet). He tried a HME and didn't like that either.

When I first started working with CPAPs (I was there practically at the beginning)...humidifiers were not part of the equation. The success rate was less than 30%. A lot of people are like you...dryness more than you can tolerate. Cool humidifiers were an add-on after a number of years and the success rate went up to maybe 50%. Then heated humidifiers came out and BOOM. Success rate is now in the 70-90% range.

A HME won't cost much and could be worth at least a trial run.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

I am sorry you are having a problem with such an expensive device.

I ran a polysomnographic lab for a time. The AirMini came out about the time I retired, but there are some things you can try to address the noise and humidity on this model. I hope one or more of these suggestions will help:

https://youtu.be/vUOZceun4fc?feature=shared

DH loves his Airmini because it works well, it saves weight (even including the battery) and saves space as the carry case for the mini is much smaller than his Airsense one. 

Edited by paddingtonbear

My husband and I both travel with our CPAP machines and have for years. We have had a variety of different machines and have always been able to get them to fit on the night stand even with the lamp in the way. Sometimes they are placed diagonally other times we can get them to fit.

In the dietary requests be sure to add a request for distilled water. Once you get onboard just ask your cabin attendant to get it for you.

I always bring small extension cords in my CPAP bag and typically use magnetic hooks to run the cord to the outlet. I also use one to hang up my mask when not in use. I know some people put it in the drawer however once everything is setup I prefer to leave it. Just make sure it is out of the way for you cabin attendant to be able to clean and make the bed.

I did recently buy the adapter from a previous post to be able to plug my machine and the lamp into the same outlet on an upcoming cruise but I will still have my magnets and extension cords just in case.

I always store my extension cord in with my CPAP machine for travel and have never had issues getting onto the ship with them as it is obvious what they are for. As a reminder if you want you a power strip or multi outlet adapter it has to be non surge protecting. 

I just received a link to this article.  Thought that this would be a good place to add it:

https://www.apria.com/ask-apria/sleep-lekisha-reed?utm_campaign=Sleep Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_Z7ftcCX-J_QtOPO3GyhhFgQweUPnza68rmEHHaKWFW2p19GmZLOceMwGSGJrDN8McfedrSfqXkV7vbgAKVspeOxAfcg&_hsmi=319442574&utm_content=319442574&utm_source=hs_automation

Q. I get the sound of gurgling and bubbling in my airline. It's annoying and wakes me up occasionally. I can even shake out the excess water. How do I stop this? 

A. This is from too much condensation in your tubing, often referred to as CPAP rainout. It happens when the heated, moisturized air from your humidifier passes through your CPAP tubing that's at a colder temperature than the air; this in turn causes the air to cool down and turn into droplets and build up moisture within the tube. With the moisture built up inside the tube, air passing through will make gurgling noises. 

First, I would try turning down your humidifier a bit. If you turn it down and experience dry mouth or dry throat, turn your humidifier back up and try using heated tubing to avoid condensation. Heated CPAP tubing keeps the air the same temperature from the humidifier to your mask so that condensation doesn't develop. Another trick is running your tubing underneath your blankets to keep it warm. This will also help cut down on condensation building up.

For more information: 5 ways to avoid CPAP rainout.