Gift Cards and AMEX PROM?

Mr. Click

I was trying to buy some OBC to take advantage of the current AMEX spend $500 and get a $100 statement credit but the first time I tried I got "The limit on OBC is $125" so I could not make a $500 purchase. Now Celebrity is promoting their own gift cards so can I just get one with my AMEX card and get the promo?  I must be getting old, this all getting confusing to me.....  TIA.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

I was trying to buy some OBC to take advantage of the current AMEX spend $500 and get a $100 statement credit but the first time I tried I got "The limit on OBC is $125" so I could not make a $500 purchase. Now Celebrity is promoting their own gift cards so can I just get one with my AMEX card and get the promo?  I must be getting old, this all getting confusing to me.....  TIA.

It depends on the specifics of the promo. In the past, most of these promos were tied to ‘booking’ a cruise or purchases in the cruise planner of an existing booking would also qualify. The merchant code and type of transaction need to qualify for the AMEX promo.

If you know you will be able to use the Celebrity gift card soon, there is low risk?

23 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

GCs are excluded and usually are from any credit card offers including AMEX, Chase or Cap1

In case anyone is wondering how to do this quickly, took me 30 seconds to log into AMEX, enter "celebrity" into the search offers field then press CTRL F  and enter "gift c"

image.thumb.png.0f65ea2b892dcd93a324b5b3dacee4fa.png

9 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

Thanks.  I had a feeling but too much is going on right now to go looking......

Perhaps it's the lesser of all evils to book your next cruise to redeem the offer.  A much better option than doing what my friend did, skipped his $20 land haircut only to pay $60 on the ship...lol

I am skipping a hair cut before our upcoming trip but I won't be going for the $60 onboard trim... We are planning to book another trip while onboard. Sometimes they just make things complitcated.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I've had no problem buying $500 of OBC calling in to Celebrity.  Possibly they have caught on to the Amex promo and have sent something to the agents to do a limit.   I did this twice $500 each in June.

The other alternative is to use the online link for buying OBC and make multiple purchases.   The Amex promo doesn't have to be all on one transaction.

Edited by wrk2cruise

2 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

I am skipping a hair cut before our upcoming trip but I won't be going for the $60 onboard trim... We are planning to book another trip while onboard. Sometimes they just make things complitcated.

Note that booking another trip onboard won't trigger the offer.  The charge will be from "Celebrity SHIP NAME"  and won't trigger the offer.  

• Thanks 1