Princess Plus purchase from Southampton UK

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Princess Plus package when purchased onboard at Southampton will be charged as 60 dollars (as I think this is the ship currency and US price for plus) or 50 British pounds? I have OBC so want to purchase onboard and 60 dollars for Plus is currently £46 when converted so works out a bit cheaper over two weeks. Thanks in anticipation that someone may know the answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bustopher123 said:

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Princess Plus package when purchased onboard at Southampton will be charged as 60 dollars (as I think this is the ship currency and US price for plus) or 50 British pounds? I have OBC so want to purchase onboard and 60 dollars for Plus is currently £46 when converted so works out a bit cheaper over two weeks. Thanks in anticipation that someone may know the answer.

All onboard purchases are USD. Good thought, though!

You will still pay $60 USD per day onboard (no added insurance surcharge).

please buy it from your embarkation wait staff.  They are given credit for your purchase. 

Just remember to make sure its your fx free card doing the dollar conversion not Princess when you set up card payments . On last years cruise got the first day at a reduced rate doing it this way, think it depends on what time you purchase on the app as didn't board until late afternoon due to delays

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

please buy it from your embarkation wait staff.  They are given credit for your purchase. 

Thank you. I am a UK resident so if I pay $60 per day, current conversion (dollars to pound) means it will be cheaper onboard (60 dollars = £46)  than paying in advance (UK residents pay £50 per day for plus through Travel agent). 

52 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Theres wait staff when your getting onboard?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

Theres wait staff when your getting onboard?

There are crew members everywhere.  

MDR lunch (12-1:30)

Buffet lunch

Piazza has wait staff

Any bar

Lido Deck

There is even a table set up (but don’t think they get the credit since they have a specific job to sell).

Each gets credit for your purchase and eager to assist.

Princess is USD based.  All monies onboard no matter which itinerary.

Edited by cr8tiv1

3 hours ago, bustopher123 said:

Thank you. I am a UK resident so if I pay $60 per day, current conversion (dollars to pound) means it will be cheaper onboard (60 dollars = £46)  than paying in advance (UK residents pay £50 per day for plus through Travel agent). 

Bear in mind the 18% tip will be added to the $60. Depending on how far out your cruise is you could also find the exchange rate against the US$ is not so favourable as it is today. Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a great cruise. 

11 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Bear in mind the 18% tip will be added to the $60. Depending on how far out your cruise is you could also find the exchange rate against the US$ is not so favourable as it is today. Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a great cruise. 

Thanks for this info. Can I just check, is the 18% added to the purchase of Princess Plus package (wifi, drinks, gratuities)? In other words, are you saying that the full Princess Plus package if purchased onboard is actually 70.80 dollars a day? 

My apologies. I got confused with the purchase of the plus package and the DRINKS package. That is where the 18% tip is added. We always pay it in advance, hence my senior moment. I definitely recommend buying the plus or premium package whichever way you decide to pay. The tips, Wi-Fi, drinks make it a no brainer for us. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sandancer said:

My apologies. I got confused with the purchase of the plus package and the DRINKS package. That is where the 18% tip is added. We always pay it in advance, hence my senior moment. I definitely recommend buying the plus or premium package whichever way you decide to pay. The tips, Wi-Fi, drinks make it a no brainer for us. 

Thank you for the clarification. Looks like I will definitely be purchasing Plus onboard. 

23 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

But is gratuity added on top of that when purchasing onboard ? 

We always pre purchase , never have enough OBC to cover the cost for the whole cruise .

Yes, everything is included no matter when it's purchased

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We don't have added  insurance surcharge in the UK. 

5 hours ago, newport dave said:

We don't have added  insurance surcharge in the UK. 

I am unable to speak for the UK.  In the US, if you purchase the Plus with your fare, it is added as part of your travel insurance.  If you don’t buy Princess insurance or purchase it on the ship, it’s a flat rate of $60. 

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am unable to speak for the UK.  In the US, if you purchase the Plus with your fare, it is added as part of your travel insurance.  If you don’t buy Princess insurance or purchase it on the ship, it’s a flat rate of $60. 

Our travel insurance isn't done specifically on the exact price of your holiday. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2024 at 9:30 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

There are crew members everywhere.  

MDR lunch (12-1:30)

Buffet lunch

Piazza has wait staff

Any bar

Lido Deck

There is even a table set up (but don’t think they get the credit since they have a specific job to sell).

Each gets credit for your purchase and eager to assist.

Princess is USD based.  All monies onboard no matter which itinerary.

oh sorry when you said embarkation wait staff i thought you meant special just for that day i see now you really meant just the regular crew.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 2:12 PM, bustopher123 said:

just a thought - currency rate may take a nosedive - it has bombed today re trouble on the stock market - when are you traveling ?

4 minutes ago, TomBaker said:

Use a Halifax Clarity Mastercard or a Chase card so you don't pay any conversion rates and you get the best rate of exchange. See MSE Martin Lewis for full details.

Yes that's what I already do. However good a rate  you get if the exchange rates have dropped...

Boarding at the weekend. Under current conversion, it is still cheaper purchase in dollars in board rather than in pounds in advance. I have the Halifax Clarity card, so should be fine with the conversion. Even if the pound continues to weaken a little, I have onboard credit so can use that to pay for part of Princess Plus.

• Like 1